IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

What is the point of purposely making a low production car...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-06, 05:39 PM
ShooExpert
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the point of purposely making a low production car...

...and then advertising the ***** out of it. I mean WTF. There are a lot of people that want this car and it just can't be had. Why not make enough cars to equal demand? Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb marketing.

Microsoft screwed the pooch by not making enough XBOX 360's and no Lexus on their IS series. They have had all this time to get people into IS's before BMW's upgrade their engine. Now people have to wait and there will be much closer competition between the two. Talk about a loss of sales. Dumb.
Old 02-03-06, 05:51 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

because its so easy and so fast to make/upgrade/equip an new/existing facility costing 100s of millions of dollars, trying to satisfy demand but maintaining quality, all at the same time juggling the upcoming ES LS changes and other things. You dont seem to understand what kind of logistic and resource demands are needed to handle the IS and many other things lexus is doing now

when a brand spanking new car comes out thats truly innovative its always going to be sold out, dont act like this is anything new, acura TL was like this when it came out, the S2000, list goes on

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 02-03-06 at 05:54 PM.
Old 02-03-06, 05:55 PM
tim817
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ShooExpert
...and then advertising the ***** out of it. I mean WTF. There are a lot of people that want this car and it just can't be had. Why not make enough cars to equal demand? Dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb marketing.

Microsoft screwed the pooch by not making enough XBOX 360's and no Lexus on their IS series. They have had all this time to get people into IS's before BMW's upgrade their engine. Now people have to wait and there will be much closer competition between the two. Talk about a loss of sales. Dumb.
Do you really want to see everyone driving the same car as yours wherever you go?
Old 02-03-06, 06:29 PM
IS350ISFUN
Driver

I live in the bay area...I think I've only seen about 5 or 6 IS on the streets...I like it that way....It makes my 350 looks special
Old 02-03-06, 06:38 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

What are you talking about?!? The IS outsold (4,073 units) every other Lexus vehicle in January (except the RX). That's 800% jump over January '05.
Old 02-06-06, 06:38 AM
lexi06
Rookie

Originally Posted by ShooExpert

They advertise it to keep the hype up for it, and therefore the demand for it will be up.
And because it's a spankin' new model, demand will even be higher, keeping the price high.
Simple supply and demand theory of economics.
Old 02-06-06, 06:58 AM
charlesmsn
Driver

i've only seen a BWB and a Tungsten on the streets of Atlanta since release, and I only saw those two in the past 2 weeks.

They're selling like hotcakes but the volume of sales down here must not be as high.
Old 02-06-06, 07:35 AM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by charlesmsn
i've only seen a BWB and a Tungsten on the streets of Atlanta since release, and I only saw those two in the past 2 weeks.

They're selling like hotcakes but the volume of sales down here must not be as high.
It's the same here - they still fly off the dealer lots, yet you barely see any on the streets? Where are all the IS's going???
Old 02-06-06, 07:40 AM
tqlla3k
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is it low production?

I thought they wanted to sell like 40K
Old 02-06-06, 09:37 AM
pocky
mooncake master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's definately flying off the lots though. Demand is outstripping supply for sure.

But over this weekend.....heh....on Saturday, I saw FOUR new IS's. Two Tungstens, One black, and One Matador Red. Then Sunday, I saw three new IS's.

It's still so SEXY when I see one on the road. Actually, it just makes me jealous they are enjoying it and not me.
Old 02-06-06, 12:12 PM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People don't see them on the street it is because they like to baby it in their garage!!
Old 02-06-06, 12:16 PM
Cypren
Driver

I don't see very many, for certain -- in fact, I think I've only seen three other IS's in the areas around Irvine, Newport Beach and Foothill Ranch, the three places I tend to go on a day to day basis. And only one of those has been another 350.
Old 02-06-06, 12:21 PM
cip
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tqlla3k
is it low production?

I thought they wanted to sell like 40K

Yeah, since when is 40,000 annual sales low production? Ferrari is low production. The F430 was sold out within like 2 months. They could have doubled or tripled the 360 Modena and sold every one of them, but that takes a way the cache and helps keep the cost to purchase a used one very close to the cost of a new one. But again very different marketing.

The fact Lexus is setting sales records every year should show you they're not holing back production, they're keeping pace with expected demand.
Old 02-06-06, 12:30 PM
diablo1
Lexus Test Driver

I do see the OP's point though - Lexus should enjoy having the biggest engine in its class while it can, and sell as many cars as it can, before the 335i comes out. At that point, IS sales might suffer a little... Many IS owners here were potential 330i owners who just wanted more power...
Old 02-06-06, 03:38 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by diablo1
I do see the OP's point though - Lexus should enjoy having the biggest engine in its class while it can, and sell as many cars as it can, before the 335i comes out. At that point, IS sales might suffer a little... Many IS owners here were potential 330i owners who just wanted more power...
the 335 price is going to be no where near the IS price, cant really be compared

330 price now is (~38k but those idiots charge you 2000 dollars total to get metallic paint and leather so its really 40k so it can be compared to a base IS350, so you can imagine how much a 335 is going to cost, im guessing mid 40s)

OP has zero understanding of the logistics and resources needed to produce a car not to mention all the other things going on in lexus, new ES, new LS, all V6 engines getting upgraded to the 350 engine and at the end of the year all sedan V8s getting upgraded to the 460 engine

Quick Reply: What is the point of purposely making a low production car...