IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Question about illuminated door sills...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-06, 10:07 AM
Aclarke
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about illuminated door sills...

Anyone buy these and not try to wire them up??? Im thinking about just buying the set and installing them for a classier look than my plastic sills. Since there really isn't an easy answer to illuminating them just yet, Im afraid to screw something up...

Anyways, would the door sills look silly if they're not illuminated? Like does the "Lexus" text look odd or would people not even notice that they're meant to be lit?

Thanks!
Old 01-26-06, 10:33 AM
Jimmer350
Driver

I'm not positive but I believe on the illuminating plates (haven't seen them in person but they would have to be) they are transparent so I think they would look out of place not lit. I have the Sport Pkg on mine and have the word "LEXUS" on the plate but just in silver. I would suggest finding someone who has switched from the Sport Pkg non-illuminating / silver plates to the illuminating ones and try to buy their old ones.
Old 01-26-06, 11:03 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 256 Likes on 226 Posts

The Lexus plates look fine when unlit. I have them as part of the Luxury package, and you can't even see the blue lighting until dusk. When unlit, they don't look transparent, the part that lights up has an almost silvery appearance.
Old 01-26-06, 11:50 AM
Aclarke
Driver

Thanks Bichon... I know I can trust a fellow Jerseyan!

So Jimmer,
Are you saying that there are other door sills out there that are 100% aluminum and do not illuminate? If that was the case, I would love to find where I could get a set since I don't want to light them up anyways.

Anybody willing to sell???
Old 01-26-06, 11:55 AM
Jimmer350
Driver

Well in Canada anyway, with the sport pkg you get the "chrome scuff plates" and with the luxury pkg you get the "illuminated scuff plates". It's my understanding the plates are identical except for the actual word "LEXUS", one is transparent so you can see the light though it and the other is solid silver (chrome).
Old 01-26-06, 11:59 AM
Aclarke
Driver

Thanks, I was under the impression that there were two different types but I thought that I had just gotten confused... hopefully someone on Club Lexus would be willing to work out a deal with me
Old 01-26-06, 12:09 PM
Jimmer350
Driver

I believe there are 3 different types:

Plain black with no word "Lexus"
Chrome Lexus plates
Illuminated Chrome Lexus plates

I'll gladly sell you mine if I could find a shipper other than UPS to order from Carson.