IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Oh no- check engine light and check VSC

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-07, 11:54 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
They tell you that because it is the most common cause of a CEL. It may still come back, and personally, I wouldn't take that route. I'd ask to see the code so I can know if it is an evap emissions fault or something else. They just had you do that because it's simple, quick, and common.

Connecting a scan tool takes all of about a minute total to read a set code, and even a cheap scan tool will be able to tell you if it's the evap system.
Anyone seen or heard of a PO200 or P0200? It's the code I got on my IS350. Apparently it's a faulty fuel injector/cylinder? I think they said the cylinder is not getting enough oxygen?
Old 01-23-07, 06:30 PM
gizbx4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ecr527
After getting my car back from service, I'm happy that the CEL/check VSC lights are out, but it kinda makes me wonder.

So far we've heard reasons like, faulty O2 sensors, gas caps, etc, which may all be valid reasons, my I'm just wondering how any of this is related to a problem related to the VSC system?? I could see the CEL coming on for the O2 sensor and even the gas cap, but the VSC?? It doesn't compute. Next thing you know they're gonna tell us that the ABS isn't working because I'm low on washer fluid.

Maybe it's just me.
I have the same 3 lights comming on as everyone else. I brought it to one of the Techs i know at my Lexus who is a friend of a frend. He said the Check engine light is connected to the VSC, so when ever the check engine light comes on it shuts the VSC off and the light will come on. He did not know what the problem was but said it was probably becuase of my Fujita intake. He said the engine is probably getting too much air and the computer doesnt recognise it or something like that. He reset my computer and the lights went off. He told me to take it back if they come back on. Well, a half hour later after going into a store i turn my car on and there you go, all 3 lights on again. I am going to try and bring it back tomorrow and make him check the gas cap and O2 sensor. The light has been going on and off for a few weeks now.

Does anyone that is haveing these lights come on also have an aftermarket intake?

Last edited by gizbx4; 01-23-07 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-23-07, 09:16 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 256 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
Anyone seen or heard of a PO200 or P0200? It's the code I got on my IS350. Apparently it's a faulty fuel injector/cylinder? I think they said the cylinder is not getting enough oxygen?
P0200 is the OBD-II code for an injection circuit malfunction.
Old 01-23-07, 09:18 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gizbx4
I have the same 3 lights comming on as everyone else. I brought it to one of the Techs i know at my Lexus who is a friend of a frend. He said the Check engine light is connected to the VSC, so when ever the check engine light comes on it shuts the VSC off and the light will come on. He did not know what the problem was but said it was probably becuase of my Fujita intake. He said the engine is probably getting too much air and the computer doesnt recognise it or something like that. He reset my computer and the lights went off. He told me to take it back if they come back on. Well, a half hour later after going into a store i turn my car on and there you go, all 3 lights on again. I am going to try and bring it back tomorrow and make him check the gas cap and O2 sensor. The light has been going on and off for a few weeks now.

Does anyone that is haveing these lights come on also have an aftermarket intake?
Did the Lexus tech tell you what code(s) were set before he cleared them? If so, what were they?
Old 01-23-07, 11:21 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bichon
P0200 is the OBD-II code for an injection circuit malfunction.
Hmm, so the circuit may be more the problem than the actual injector?
Right now they're telling me there is no fix, and just to wait until it comes on again!?
Old 01-23-07, 11:41 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,851 Likes on 2,335 Posts

No, P0200 is a generic code for an injector fault. P0201 through P0206 are specific to an individual injector. All that code tells you is there was a fault, it persisted for a number of cycles, but it wasn't enought to distinguish which injector had an issue. It's not a hard break. It may or may not lead to more codes. The best thing to do is document it happened in your service records and see if it returns.
Old 01-24-07, 10:27 AM
gizbx4
Pole Position

Did the Lexus tech tell you what code(s) were set before he cleared them? If so, what were they?
im pritty sure he said nothing came up.
Old 01-24-07, 11:26 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
No, P0200 is a generic code for an injector fault. P0201 through P0206 are specific to an individual injector. All that code tells you is there was a fault, it persisted for a number of cycles, but it wasn't enought to distinguish which injector had an issue. It's not a hard break. It may or may not lead to more codes. The best thing to do is document it happened in your service records and see if it returns.
My friend threw a P0200 on his Audi A4 when his ignition control module went bad. The P0200 was in addition to a couple different P030x errors (engine misfire codes for different cylinders) and a flashing CEL -- the car would stumble and buck like a bronco whenever you gave it gas. Once the ignition problem was fixed, the injector code never came back. I guess my point is that sometimes the computer gets it wrong.
Old 01-24-07, 11:30 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

im pritty sure he said nothing came up.
That doesn't make sense. If the CEL is on, you should be able to read the DTC (diagnostic trouble code) that caused it. It has to function that way to be compliant with the OBD-II system as mandated by federal regulations.
Old 01-24-07, 11:36 AM
gizbx4
Pole Position

That doesn't make sense. If the CEL is on, you should be able to read the DTC (diagnostic trouble code) that caused it. It has to function that way to be compliant with the OBD-II system as mandated by federal regulations.
Would the code get stored? Becuase at the time i braught it in the lights werent on. So does it only show up if the lights are on when the test is performed?
Old 01-24-07, 12:10 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Would the code get stored? Becuase at the time i braught it in the lights werent on. So does it only show up if the lights are on when the test is performed?
It goes by warm up cycles. It takes three warm up cycles without the problem to turn off the check engine light. It takes a lot more -- something like 40 warm up cycles without the problem before the code is erased.
Old 01-24-07, 02:55 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,851 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Toyota never erases the codes automatically. They have to be reset manually, especially engine codes. Either you pull the fuse/disconnect battery (erases some but not all codes) or you reset with a scantool (resets all codes and can reset learned behaviours.)
Old 02-20-07, 08:53 AM
dngo27
Driver

i just got the check vsc/engine light last night. i called the dealer to schedule an appt, first available is tomorrow. i am driving my gf's 07 camry now. i'll do the gas cap reseat thingy and maybe even unplug the battery and see what happens.
Old 02-20-07, 01:00 PM
2Q2B_slow
Driver School Candidate

My VSC light came on 2 days ago as well, my appointment with the dealership is thursday... wish me luck. ><

*edit* - not just my vsc light but the engine and traction light as well.

Last edited by 2Q2B_slow; 02-20-07 at 01:37 PM.
Old 02-20-07, 10:37 PM
IronPhoenX
Pole Position

Anyone have this problem with their 2007?

Quick Reply: Oh no- check engine light and check VSC