IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Is it best to follow manufacturer's tire psi?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-06, 02:28 PM
Morrissey
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it best to follow manufacturer's tire psi?

I have 18" OEM wheels with the Dunlop summer tires. The recommended psi for the front is 35 psi while the rear is recommended at a pressure of 37 psi.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that someone set all 4 tires at 40 psi. The reason why I'm asking is because we've had significant drops in temperature in Denver over the past month and it totally threw off all four of my tires in terms of pressure. My "low tire" warning came on last night and I found out my front right tire was at 28 psi

I've set them all back to factory recommended pressures, but I want to see if this was the ideal setting to be at for the IS350.
Old 01-21-06, 02:40 PM
mcfly
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Morrissey
I have 18" OEM wheels with the Dunlop summer tires. The recommended psi for the front is 35 psi while the rear is recommended at a pressure of 37 psi.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that someone set all 4 tires at 40 psi. The reason why I'm asking is because we've had significant drops in temperature in Denver over the past month and it totally threw off all four of my tires in terms of pressure. My "low tire" warning came on last night and I found out my front right tire was at 28 psi

I've set them all back to factory recommended pressures, but I want to see if this was the ideal setting to be at for the IS350.
In general it's a good idea to adhere to the manufacturer's recommendation. They picked that pressure based on a lot of factors.

As you found out, you should also be checking your tire pressure at least every month, and more often if you're getting big temperature swings, because they affect pressure substantially.

In some cases, running more or less pressure is adventageous. My WRX for example is a lot better off at higher pressures. The stock recommendation is on the low side to give a more compliant ride, but to keep the sidewalls from rolling over under hard cornering I like to run some more pressure.

Obviously, never exceed the max psi label on the tire itself (and make sure you're setting your pressures when the tires are cold).
Old 01-21-06, 03:11 PM
JSK97VMI
Rookie

Originally Posted by heffergm
The stock recommendation is on the low side to give a more compliant ride, but to keep the sidewalls from rolling over under hard cornering I like to run some more pressure.
I've experienced the sidewall rolling over with the recommended psi. I was just taking a left hand turn onto the highway and started to accelerate and it happened.
Old 01-21-06, 03:12 PM
TheRupp
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's best to follow the manufacturer's anything (besides MSRP ), that way they can't come back at you in case you have a warranty issue that they want to blame on something else.