IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

The mother of all 2IS car cover threads (merged discussion)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-11, 02:49 PM
heyarms
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts

If your car isn't completely clean when you put on the car cover, if it moves around a little with wind you can get some fine scratches in your clearcoat, I'm pretty sure that's how I got the swirl marks on my roof, but luckily it's a white car and it's only noticeable when I wash it.
Old 12-11-11, 02:53 PM
Initial G
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get one if the dust is heavy and really bothers you. The price seems like a good investment.
Old 10-02-12, 01:45 PM
LaVaism
Pole Position

Default Carcover

So I tend to travel a lot and sometimes can't bring my car to the airport where it is under cover. So I was thinking about getting a car cover, last time I came home my car was covered in leaves and some sap, not to mention about 12 tons of bird crap.

What car cover would you guys/gals recommend? Looking for something east to put on and take off that will fold up easly to fit in the trunk. Waterproof and lets some air in so it can breath under there.

Cheers!
Old 10-02-12, 01:54 PM
Machog
Driver

I go away for 4-5 months and leave the Lex in a garage and been looking for a dust cover not waterproof. Wally World do them

http://www.walmart.com/search/search...h_constraint=0

so do these guys. Good selection.

http://www.autoanything.com/car-covers/10A50166.aspx

Machog
Old 10-02-12, 05:03 PM
jgr7
Lexus Test Driver

You have to be very careful that you car is clean before you put cover on your car or you can scratch it with the cover.
Old 10-02-12, 08:33 PM
ls1muscle
Driver School Candidate

I've used a NOAH car cover from Wolf and it works very well outdoors.
Old 10-03-12, 08:00 AM
Machog
Driver

jgr7, that's an excellent point. If car is going to be outdoors in a windy location-like an airport, the flapping fabric can do more harm than good unless you get it really well tied down.

Machog
Old 02-26-13, 02:54 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Alright after combing through 99% of this merged thread I am still completely torn. I park outside for 4 days out of the week and inside for the other 3, and having an Obsidian colored car is absolutely driving me nuts... I cannot keep water spots off for more than a week no matter how well I detail, or pay to get the car detailed. I want a cover but I daily my IS, and wash it every two weeks so it isn't always "clean." According to most of you on here putting a cover on every day will cause micro swirls because of the dust particles, but someone said a bit of spray detail before you put it on and its fine. So what is really the final word? I love my obsidian but it's either a car cover or I'm thinking of getting the whole damn thing vinyl wrapped a different color. I'd rather keep the black... just not have micro swirls all over the car.
Old 02-26-13, 10:53 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by NorCalIS
Alright after combing through 99% of this merged thread I am still completely torn. I park outside for 4 days out of the week and inside for the other 3, and having an Obsidian colored car is absolutely driving me nuts... I cannot keep water spots off for more than a week no matter how well I detail, or pay to get the car detailed. I want a cover but I daily my IS, and wash it every two weeks so it isn't always "clean." According to most of you on here putting a cover on every day will cause micro swirls because of the dust particles, but someone said a bit of spray detail before you put it on and its fine. So what is really the final word? I love my obsidian but it's either a car cover or I'm thinking of getting the whole damn thing vinyl wrapped a different color. I'd rather keep the black... just not have micro swirls all over the car.
Here's how you answer your dilemma...

Ask yourself this, "what is more important to you?"

1) A (black) car that pops and looks amazing when clean and detailed, but is a lot of work to achieve.
2) A car (not black) that is low maintenance but never looks clean or dirty. Looks the same all year long.
Old 02-27-13, 02:17 PM
NorCalIS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Here's how you answer your dilemma...

Ask yourself this, "what is more important to you?"

1) A (black) car that pops and looks amazing when clean and detailed, but is a lot of work to achieve.
2) A car (not black) that is low maintenance but never looks clean or dirty. Looks the same all year long.
Honestly after dealing with pollen this last week I almost am ready to go for number 2. I just washed my car three days ago and pollen has already ruined it. Yes I am going to wash it again, and yes I wash properly, use clay bar every now again when needed, wax and polish,and all that. However with my work schedule which is usually 6 days a week I just can't keep up with the black as much as I want to, and I can't keep shelling out cash to get it detailed either... I love black but I just don't have the time for it.