IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

First problem, Seatbelt Retractor

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-05, 05:03 PM
Dr C
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, my seat belt stuck again today. I wasn't far from the dealer so I stopped in. They could not get it free so they ordered another seat belt assembly and will install when it comes in. Not a big deal. Inconvenient.
Old 12-20-05, 09:02 PM
AndrewDC
Rookie

I had this problem once, and was lucky enough to be next to Lexus of Dayton at the time. I had played with it, tugging at the seat belt in futile attempts to loosen it, but after a while, I just drove it to the dealership. They called out a serviceman, and he tugged much harder than I had, and quickly set it free. He said that the ball bearings sometimes get locked up, and all it takes is a set of VERY STRONG tugs. I haven't had to done so since - by the way, I just hit 2000 miles on my car.
Old 12-21-05, 10:44 AM
umpalumpa
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default just had the same problem...

...on my RX...agree that its just a general problem...hopefully i can yank the crap out of it later this afternoon and fix it...or im off to the dealer.
Old 12-21-05, 10:51 AM
echrist0
Driver School Candidate

Apparently, I'm not big enough to yank it sufficiently, nor was the service manager. So, it gets replaced.
Old 12-29-05, 04:07 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I finally got my car back from the defective seat belt retractor repair.

My car went in on Sunday December 18th so 11 days with the ES330 loaner.

Let's take this as a benchmark for when other lucky owners have this done.

The long repair time was due specifically to parts availability.

I also had my sensors initiated for the winter wheels.

Before I picked up the car I was remembering what I believe ScottE about the TPMS being initated at the dealer then the warning going on 20 miles later.

That is just what happened to me on the way home from the dealer.

When I got home I checked the setting on the display and it was set on "main" when it should have been set on "2nd".

Now I will have to go back to the dealer to get the thing reset.

This will be the fourth trip to a dealer for this issue.

On a positive note, I have been speaking with Lexus customer service and I believe some good will will be coming my way.
Old 12-29-05, 07:19 PM
Jherb350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check page 278 of the owners manual, you should be able to reset the systems yourself if they set the new wheels up under 2nd. The day after I bought my car the warning light came on for the tire presure sensors and it was because the setting was on 2nd and not main. Switch it to main and reset the system per the manual and the light went out.
Old 01-06-06, 06:03 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well, lexus replaced my seatbelt today and it seems to be fine so far..what i thought was pretty cool was that lexus came to me..at my workplace and did the work there..and also took care of the safety recall for the 250 awd..it took only 50 minutes to do both and was no inconvenience to me at all being all i had to do was answer my door at work and give him the key fob
Old 02-04-06, 12:24 PM
Mysticrave
Driver School Candidate

Hi,
my belt is fixed now too..... it cant be moved in any direction...

Anyone have pictures of the workaround?

What part of seat belt must be pushed to unlock?

Is there a partnumber of the bugless seat belt?

Thank you!
Old 02-04-06, 12:30 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Yup mine had this happen too, 3 times. Each time it fixed itself by the next day. I told my dealership about it, and they said, "pull it slower next time". Hah. Owell. Maybe if it happens enough, a recall will be made, and we all get free ipods! :-)
Old 02-04-06, 12:36 PM
Mysticrave
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AgBlue
Yup mine had this happen too, 3 times. Each time it fixed itself by the next day. I told my dealership about it, and they said, "pull it slower next time". Hah. Owell. Maybe if it happens enough, a recall will be made, and we all get free ipods! :-)
May be its only a software problem? So we need an update? Its not a physical problem when its gone after one day?

Did i understand correct?

Old 02-04-06, 03:19 PM
AgBlue
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mysticrave
May be its only a software problem? So we need an update? Its not a physical problem when its gone after one day?

Did i understand correct?

Hmm I'm not sure. I was trying to explain it to the guy at Lexus. He seemed to think I was just pulling it fast and it locks. But the fact that it doesn't release is a hazard. I've had to drive home a few times w/o my seat belt on because it was stuck in a locked position and wouldn't reach the clip.

I tried stopping the car, getting out, back in, and starting.. It doesn't work. Then somehow magically, next time i start, i hear a zip, and it goes back up. Maybe it's a software issue and it takes time to clear, but I'm not sure. I think I also notice a crinkle from where it bit the seat belt too, and usually it's at the same spot.
Old 02-04-06, 08:28 PM
Soda
Pole Position

I haven't heard that problem w/any of our Toyota's..wierd.
Old 02-04-06, 09:48 PM
CaThaFeR
speshul c

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AgBlue
Hmm I'm not sure. I was trying to explain it to the guy at Lexus. He seemed to think I was just pulling it fast and it locks. But the fact that it doesn't release is a hazard. I've had to drive home a few times w/o my seat belt on because it was stuck in a locked position and wouldn't reach the clip.

I tried stopping the car, getting out, back in, and starting.. It doesn't work. Then somehow magically, next time i start, i hear a zip, and it goes back up. Maybe it's a software issue and it takes time to clear, but I'm not sure. I think I also notice a crinkle from where it bit the seat belt too, and usually it's at the same spot.
this is what was happening to me..lexus also didnt believe me..so i sat there pulling on it until it got stuck and wouldnt go back in..and i showed them..THEN they believed me when they couldnt get it to go back in either..so they wound up replacing the whole seatbelt..and now its fine..hasnt gotten stuck once since they replaced it
Old 02-05-06, 01:50 AM
Mysticrave
Driver School Candidate

Hi,

hm.

Now iam thinking about:

- Battery reset
- find fuse for security belt
- start and stop engine some times....

I dont love to drive on snow without a seatbelt :-(
Old 02-26-06, 02:07 PM
gsandman
Driver School Candidate

Mine is being replaced tomorrow (passenger side).

IS 350 Black Lux/Nav ML

Quick Reply: First problem, Seatbelt Retractor