IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Why buy the IS over the TL?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-05, 09:36 AM
carenthus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I do like Acura cars. I think Lexus has more prestige than an Acura. The Lexus IS has a fresher youthful design. Better looking. More sportier. More reliable. Better quality.

Is your wife big or small? If small, then the IS is a better fit for her. She won't be toss around when taking a hard turn on a curve.

Have you done a test drive of both vehicles to see which one she likes better? Hopefully the test drive on the IS will seal the deal for her.
Old 12-10-05, 10:02 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If money is no issue, I'd get the IS350 over TL, however if you are looking at IS250 vs TL, i'd much rather get the TL, or G35.
Old 12-10-05, 06:08 PM
jmartinace
Rookie

Default Size matters

"Is she big or small"
Yeah, like he's going to tell you she's big.
Old 12-10-05, 06:36 PM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

My ol lady is about 5-2 and 110 bricks.........She scoffed me again today when I showed her the pics of a Matador Red 350......

Can I get warranty service at a Toyota dealer or do I have to go to Lexus?
Old 12-10-05, 11:55 PM
newr
Lexus Champion

If money is the issue and you don't want to own the car for a long time, than lease the TL. It is the best bang for your buck.

If you want to keep her for a long time then I would go with the IS due reliability and quality issues of the TL.
Old 12-11-05, 12:08 AM
BaLLzZz
Lead Lap

i still own a tl and from a tl owner to a deciding owner get the lexus... even if its the 250 you dont have a tl so the power thing wont really matter that much as it would too me... beleive me dont get the tl... just dont do it. first of all they are everywhere second they are built like pure ****... problems all over my service sheet has problems numbered too 34. it doesnt end with this car. get the lexus my brother just got an 06 rx330 and when i tell you materials make a big difference i am not lieing for your own sake convince her to get it 250 or 350 be a lexus owner.. i am soon too be(06is350navi/ml/hks)... if u have too show her this post lol i have a 2004 tl navi never again...
Old 12-13-05, 02:46 PM
Cypren
Driver

I looked long and hard at the TL when I was car shopping last month, but in the end, I just didn't feel like it was in the same class as the other sedans I was looking at (330i, G35, A4 3.2, IS350). It had similar straight-line performance numbers and great features, but the interior quality just didn't measure up to what I expect from a car that's pitching at the entry-luxury market. The plastics felt cheap, the seats weren't as comfortable, and it just didn't have the "wow" factor that you get from sitting in a luxury car. And driving it just felt... off, somehow. I can't really explain it better than that. It didn't feel like a sport sedan, it just felt like an Accord with a bigger engine.

My father has owned a TL for about 7 years now and speaks very highly of the quality and comfort. Of course, he also thinks I'm insane for buying a $45k car -- the $32k he spent on his is the extreme upper end of what any sensible person should drop on an automobile, in his view, so take that with a grain of salt. =)

In my mind, the TL and the IS represent different market segments, just as the LS and the GS do. You add fewer features on paper and more attention to detail in the implementation of those features as you step further up the chain and drop more money, but only you can decide just how much that extra refinement is worth to you.
Old 12-13-05, 07:32 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

im basically in the same situation as u are over deciding to get the TL or the IS. power isnt really a need for me, but comfort is. im trading the 02 camry in next year, so i do want something around its size, so thats were the TL comes in, and i do want something aggressive looking, so thats were the TL A-spec package comes in and the IS 250. but i dont want to tow my friends around but if i do, im gonna keep my drivers seat the way i want it and let them suffer in the back, so thats were the IS comes in because its smaller and nimbler. gosh such a hard decision for me really!!!! wish i could get them both and call it a day but thats out of the question.
But good luck on your decision,

im like you to, wanting a Black Acura TL A-spec w/ ivory leather and wood trim or a Black or Red IS 250 auto w/ cashmere leather with the wood trim with 06' GS 430 wheels.

such a hard decision, both are fantastic cars.

and question to those reguarding the TL has quality issues, thought acura was a brand in quality like honda. just enlighten me, comments would me MUCH appricated, believe me

Last edited by AJL0365; 12-13-05 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-13-05, 09:41 PM
Spy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AJL0365
and question to those reguarding the TL has quality issues, thought acura was a brand in quality like honda. just enlighten me, comments would me MUCH appricated, believe me
Like someone else said, check out www.acurazine.com. There seems to be a lot of unhappy people with the interior build quality. Seems to be a lot of rattles and other issues. I don't know if they've all been ironed out yet. Some people on the forum seem extremley happy with their TL's, others very disappointed.
Old 12-13-05, 10:46 PM
AJL0365
Lexus Test Driver

Look like i'll be sticking with some type of toyota product, not like thats a bad thing
Old 12-16-05, 07:37 PM
dreamin350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XanaduSC
Here's a good one:
Get the IS and promise to your wife that if anything would ever go wrong or anytime it ever needs service you will always take car of "ALL" of that yourself and she will never ever be inconvienced in any way of having to take care of the mainetenance. There's your win!!
If you want it bad enough you will drive 40 miles on your own time not her's.

For me...I could never ever buy a front wheel drive car, the fun factor would be down the tubes. Only rear drive cars for me.
I see that a lot of people state that FWD can not be fun, but in the recent C&D comparo, the TL was the second fastest car (behind the IS350) 0-60, had the fastest lane change and highest skidpad numbers. Not to mention it was the second lightest car in the comparo behind BMW. I am in a similar position on what car to go with. I really really LIKE the TL and can buy it now, but I LOVE the IS350, but can't afford/justify at this time. My decision is to idle until I can afford either and see what improvements follow that gives one the edge. Best of luck to you, but I think there is not a wrong choice with these two cars!
Old 12-16-05, 11:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by dreamin350
I see that a lot of people state that FWD can not be fun, but in the recent C&D comparo, the TL was the second fastest car (behind the IS350) 0-60, had the fastest lane change and highest skidpad numbers. Not to mention it was the second lightest car in the comparo behind BMW. I am in a similar position on what car to go with. I really really LIKE the TL and can buy it now, but I LOVE the IS350, but can't afford/justify at this time. My decision is to idle until I can afford either and see what improvements follow that gives one the edge. Best of luck to you, but I think there is not a wrong choice with these two cars!
hahaa, all i can say is, go drive the car and test drive it hard on handling and we will see. i had tl before (02 tl-s) and i have driven the new tl. i have gs400, sc430, and used to have is300. could be that i have driven enough rwd, but i just can't stand the understeer on the fwd. i know they keep on saying the tl has much less understeer, but to me, they are there and i can feel it. just me
Old 12-17-05, 01:19 AM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

it comes down to if you want to drive a honda, or you want to drive a lexus?
Old 12-17-05, 05:32 AM
unit74
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NoRyceGS4
it comes down to if you want to drive ................................. a lexus?

Don't you mean Toyota?
Old 12-17-05, 06:51 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 198 Likes on 133 Posts

There are no Toyota equivalents of the new IS & all new Lexus from now on, a Lexus will be a Lexus world wide.

Quick Reply: Why buy the IS over the TL?