Calling cold climate IS250/350 owners with 18's

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-05, 10:07 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 275 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
Nice work, did you special order or just pick it up off the lot!
Off the lot - in fact, practically off the truck, as it had just been delivered the preceding day (w/5 miles on the clock) when I pulled the trigger. I'd been on the fence about placing a special order, since I really wanted the Mark Levinson audio (none of the inital allocations of cars in the NE have ML), but wasn't crazy about waiting four months. Then I saw my car, the salesman sharpened his pencil, and the rest is history.
Old 12-21-05, 11:34 AM
Morrissey
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want the Pirelli Nero M+S all-seasons. The price at Tire Rack is great. The only problem is they don't have they rear sizes that I need for my 18" wheels (255/40 18). The closest they have is (245/40WR18).

Will I be at a disadvantage if I went for a 245/40 tire instead of a 255/40 tire for my rear wheels?
Old 12-21-05, 11:23 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bichon
Off the lot - in fact, practically off the truck, as it had just been delivered the preceding day (w/5 miles on the clock) when I pulled the trigger. I'd been on the fence about placing a special order, since I really wanted the Mark Levinson audio (none of the inital allocations of cars in the NE have ML), but wasn't crazy about waiting four months. Then I saw my car, the salesman sharpened his pencil, and the rest is history.

One of the best purchase stories I've heard. He must have used a sword to sharpen that thing!
Old 12-21-05, 11:24 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Morrissey
I want the Pirelli Nero M+S all-seasons. The price at Tire Rack is great. The only problem is they don't have they rear sizes that I need for my 18" wheels (255/40 18). The closest they have is (245/40WR18).

Will I be at a disadvantage if I went for a 245/40 tire instead of a 255/40 tire for my rear wheels?

Double check with tire rack, but actually that tire should fit your stock rim fine and in fact, the thinner tire: 245 vs 255 will handle better in snow!
Old 12-22-05, 12:10 AM
ShooExpert
Rookie

As ES3 said, the 245 is preferable to the 255 in the snow. It is a thinner tire which is better for snow.
Old 12-22-05, 12:18 AM
OneOfOne
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
I'd have to agree with SGT. I've heard that people with the Contiextremecontacts experience flat spots when the car is left to sit for only a few hours. Check out the reviews at tirerack.com. Even though the Pirelli's are a tad more expensive, they seem to get better overall reviews.

this is fiction. have had my contis for more than a year here in mass with no flat spots period.
Old 12-22-05, 06:33 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by ShooExpert
As ES3 said, the 245 is preferable to the 255 in the snow. It is a thinner tire which is better for snow.
Yes, but reducing the width without increasing the aspect ratio will reduce the circumference of the tire, in this case by about an inch. That will cause the speedometer to read 1-2% too low, and might confuse the navigation system. Probably not enough to matter, but as ES3 said, check with the tire rack.
Old 12-22-05, 07:53 AM
IS350spBLK
Driver

I actaully just kept my stock tires on and already been through 2 snow storms and did fine, just toook off the traction control (cause the wheels dont spin if they feel some slip when its on), got stuck for like a few seconds here and there but other than that did fine.

Had all michelen all seasons on my CLK430 and it wasn't any better, unless you go with winter/snow tires then your spending your money on something worth getting. Just my 2 cents.
Old 12-22-05, 08:12 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by digital_b
this is fiction. have had my contis for more than a year here in mass with no flat spots period.
I've never had them, so I can't speak from personal experience. I was only repeating what I had read. There were quite a few GS owners that complained about this problem. One reviewer said that he thought the problem was specifically related to GS400/430s and that the tire might not be well suited for the car. I see you have an LS, so maybe the ExtremeContact is better matched for your car than the GS. I have relative who has them on his 3-series BMW, and he, like you, has never experienced the problem.
Old 12-22-05, 08:23 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by IS350spBLK
I actaully just kept my stock tires on and already been through 2 snow storms and did fine, just toook off the traction control (cause the wheels dont spin if they feel some slip when its on), got stuck for like a few seconds here and there but other than that did fine.
I have to disagree here. The big problem with the summer tires isn't getting stuck. The problem is being unable to stop or steer, especially in an emergency situation. I've been an avid reader of car forums (Audiworld, ClubDSM, etc.) for years, and I'm always bummed to read the inevitible stories about people crashing their beautiful rides by trying to get by on summer rubber. The stock summer tires have no sipes (the tiny slits that bite into snow) and a rubber compound that is inappropriate for sub freezing temperatures, let alone ice. The $742 I paid for a set of Pirelli SnowSports is a small price to pay for the added safety for myself, my passengers, and my sheet metal.
Old 12-22-05, 10:16 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS350spBLK

Had all michelen all seasons on my CLK430 and it wasn't any better, unless you go with winter/snow tires then your spending your money on something worth getting. Just my 2 cents.
Do you have the Dunlop Sport Maxx 18's? Have you actually driven them in any accumulation?
Old 10-25-06, 10:18 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Bump for more discussion.
Old 10-25-06, 10:45 AM
TLe2006
Lexus Champion

How bout kumho ecsta AST as all-season?
Old 10-25-06, 07:03 PM
Pwyll
Driver

Pirelli SnowSport 240 on secondary set of 18" OEM's. The tires come in on the 28th of Oct. Then to Lexus for install on Nov. 4th.
Old 10-27-06, 09:55 PM
SugarRush
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ThoLe
How bout kumho ecsta AST as all-season?
^ Had those for my Miata a while ago. Not too bad for rwd all-season setup.
It allows the miata to be driven on 1" of fresh snow with no problem (and it has no traction control bty). These tires are quite grippy, and for the price they are very good bargain too!
For twisty roads during spring and summer, they performed decently well for my miata.
They are also not too loud when the threads are worn (unlike most high performance all season).
Bought them from tirerack.

I dont recommend these tires for track/autocross, however.

Last edited by SugarRush; 10-27-06 at 10:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Calling cold climate IS250/350 owners with 18's