IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Question for those with new winter tires/rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-05, 02:59 PM
ScottE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck with the snow!

Something to watch for on these swaps: My TPMS warning light was triggered 20 miles after I got the new wheels and tires put on. Have to go back to dealer to have them reset it and provide explanation beyond what I'm assuming - they didn't initialize the 2nd setting correctly. Minor annoyance, but I hope they get it right the second time. I don't like driving with a "Check System" warning taking up my entire display.
Old 12-07-05, 05:21 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kensteele
Fair amount of snow right now, just in the immediate region...expecting about 6 inches. My winter tires and rims from tirerack have arrived and are at home right now.

My IS350 has been at the dealership all day for a spoiler and some other things, they gave me an ES330 loaner (which is ok in the snow).

Dealership calls me at work and says keep the ES330 overnight, your IS350 with these tires not going to be a good idea to try to drive home.

Wait, they're saying even with the SNOW tires it's not worth driving home?
Old 12-07-05, 06:03 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES3
Wait, they're saying even with the SNOW tires it's not worth driving home?

No, this was my plan:

My IS350 with OEM 18 summer tires I planned to drive to the dealership this morning. There were flurries and I wanted to see how well those tires handled. They were fine, the snow wasn't sticking and the dusting was kinda blowing around but everything was ok.

At noon, I check UPS.com and it appears my winter tires have just been delivered at home, would have been nice if this was yesterday when it was totally dry.

My plan was to pickup my IS350 after work, drive home in an inch or two of snow, change into winter tires overnight for tomorrow's big winter day.

The weather turned this afternoon. Before the work day has ended, the snow is so bad, everybody is going home and things are coming to a standstill very rapidly. The dealership called and said my car was ready but they will keep it overnight and I can come pickup the car tomorrow. Not a good idea to drive home; not sure if they meant "with those tires" or "it's just bad overall, see you tomorrow." Keep the ES330 overnight. Must be over 6 inches out there already.

I will pickup my IS350 in the morning with summer tires and then try to make it home depending on the weather and at my own leisure, change into the winter tires. No sensors.
Old 12-08-05, 04:47 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

If we don't get another inch of snow for the rest of the season, I would feel it is still worth it to invest in the setup I did (described above). The tires saved me today, our first real snow, 8+ inches, and the IS350 performed like a champ, I am so pleased.

And the tires/wheels look good, too.

Old 12-08-05, 05:17 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rpwsrw
i saw it today at worked looks really good. you need to get the factory ground effects and lower it a bit.
thanks! but the money is starting to go....
i do want to lower it.
Old 12-08-05, 05:36 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rpwsrw
i saw it today at worked looks really good. you need to get the factory ground effects and lower it a bit.
Hehe, I just figured out who you were LOL. I'm getting close to 1k miles and I'll hit 5k pretty soon so next time I'm in for the first oil change, I'll look you up.
Old 12-08-05, 11:37 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

If we don't get another inch of snow for the rest of the season, I would feel it is still worth it to invest in the setup I did (described above). The tires saved me today, our first real snow, 8+ inches, and the IS350 performed like a champ, I am so pleased.

And the tires/wheels look good, too.
Ken, those rims DO look pretty darn good, those are 17's right? What type of tires again? What was the total cost at your Lexus dealer? BTW, nice planning with the ES300 Loaner!

We got more snow today than EVER before, the record in Indy was back about 60 years ago, we ended up with about 7.5 inches. Good thing my IS350 hasn't even arrived yet!
Old 12-09-05, 10:36 AM
ScottE
Driver School Candidate

Default Nice setup!

Wow. Those Kazeras look great, Ken. I didn't think they would look that good on the IS. Makes me almost regret the choice of my stock 17's that I got last week.

We had nearly 10 inches of snow in the Chicago area last night. IS performed great with Blizzaks. There were some roads that just weren't plowed at all and I was able to get through all sorts of stuff with very little drama. Up hills. Around corners with drifts. After a 2 hour and 45 minute commute home I pulled in the driveway and thought the 1,600 bucks was worth it, especially since this is early December and we've already been hit with this much snow. Something tells me this is going to be a long winter...
Old 12-09-05, 01:18 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES3
Ken, those rims DO look pretty darn good, those are 17's right? What type of tires again? What was the total cost at your Lexus dealer? BTW, nice planning with the ES300 Loaner!

We got more snow today than EVER before, the record in Indy was back about 60 years ago, we ended up with about 7.5 inches. Good thing my IS350 hasn't even arrived yet!
2x5/40VR-18 Pirelli Winter 240 SnowSport XL

At the Lexus dealership I spend about $94 to mount, balance, and move sensors from old set to new set.

Today I'm driving around on them in the snow on roads that are still not plowed and still, I am happy with them. I almost want to say these tires are performing better than the all-seasons on my FWD Acura CLS under the same conditions.
Old 12-09-05, 01:23 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ScottE
Wow. Those Kazeras look great, Ken. I didn't think they would look that good on the IS. Makes me almost regret the choice of my stock 17's that I got last week.

We had nearly 10 inches of snow in the Chicago area last night. IS performed great with Blizzaks. There were some roads that just weren't plowed at all and I was able to get through all sorts of stuff with very little drama. Up hills. Around corners with drifts. After a 2 hour and 45 minute commute home I pulled in the driveway and thought the 1,600 bucks was worth it, especially since this is early December and we've already been hit with this much snow. Something tells me this is going to be a long winter...
I thought the wheels were going to detract but I feel alot better with the way they look after installing them. Now I can keep them on a little longer than I planned (right now I think they're going to come off mid-March).

You're getting the same snowstorm in Chicago we had except probably more. My guess it, this is the biggest snowfall of the 2005-2006 season, for us at least. If this is any indication of how the IS will perform duing the winter season, I too am happy with the $1,600 spent. It's worth it to get up in the morning and see the ground completely covered with heavy snowfall from overnight and say "no problem, I can handle this" and then the IS350 performs like a champ.
Old 12-09-05, 03:19 PM
Dr C
Driver

Ken:

That's the reason that I bought the AWD with all season tires -- I want to be able to drive out of the parking garage at the hospital without having to think about the weather or the weather forecast. That worked with my Audi A4 and my BMWxi, but not with our Audi S4 -- I had to get 4 snow tires with the AWD to be able to even drive it in bad weather. I suspect that, like the 350, it has to do with the high performance tires.

Yesterday, I drove though 8-10 inches of snow several different times, including getting in and out of my garage and getting up our hill which is very steep. It was very cold this morning and I encountered a lot of snow and ice on side streets. No problem yet with the OEM tires and AWD.
Old 12-09-05, 10:17 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Ken, Did you get the tires from Lexus too, or order them at TireRack and have your Lexus dealer install?

For those who had somone besides Lexus install new tires and/or rims, is the TPMS a pain? Or does the manual explain how to set up TPMS for winter tires. Also, if I would keep my SAME stock rims and just swap tires, do I NOT reset the TPMS?

THX!
Old 12-09-05, 10:49 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

I got the wheels and tires from tirerack and they were installed with TPMS at the lexus dealership.
Old 12-10-05, 08:59 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

I got the wheels and tires from tirerack and they were installed with TPMS at the lexus dealership.

Did you get any road hazzard warranty through tire rack?
If you don't mind my asking, what was the total price from Tire Rack with shipping? Then 94 bucks for install at Lexus right? Are they storing your other tires/rims?
Old 12-10-05, 09:28 AM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES3
Did you get any road hazzard warranty through tire rack?
If you don't mind my asking, what was the total price from Tire Rack with shipping? Then 94 bucks for install at Lexus right? Are they storing your other tires/rims?
no road hazard warranty.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...75&postcount=6

$94 was from lexus dealership, it would have been $49 is they didn't have to move the sensors. i have my oem tires/rims in my garage, they couldn't store them for me.

Quick Reply: Question for those with new winter tires/rims