IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Question for those with new winter tires/rims

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-05, 03:06 PM
ScottE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350 winter tire set up from dealer

My dealer just put together a package with the OEM 17" rims on 225 width Blizzaks and sensors for $1,600. The sensors were going to cost $400 for all four. Got that cut in half. Not great, but not bad either. They'll store my 18's for me through the winter season, too.

Can't wait to do it. Almost did a 360 just rounding a corner in half an inch of snow at 10 mph. Yikes.
Old 12-01-05, 09:18 PM
catbox32
Driver School Candidate

Yikes is right. I'm not exactly a newbee to snow in IL, but with the IS350 18"ers, stand by. I was approaching a stop light at 20 mph and and my first application of brakes (even with initial light application) led to the antiskid shuffle, no stopping power, and a necessary steering maneuver to avoid impact and an induced swerve with an entourage of lights and beeps. I have driven an AUDI and a FORD T-Bird in similar conditions and this thing became unglued much more quickly. It is apparent to me it is not a matter of if, but when this configuration will lead to a crash in slick conditions. The E-gizmos(VDIM) were helping with steering, the A-skid was jittering away, but on hard 18" wheels, it was useless with so liitle traction afforded by the wheel/tire set.

CONDITIONS: 1/2" Fresh WET SNOW on near Lake Michigan, 27Deg F, road not yet salted.

$1600 sounds like a really pricey solution... any other wheel/tire thoughts for less?
Old 12-01-05, 10:13 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by catbox32
Yikes is right. I'm not exactly a newbee to snow in IL, but with the IS350 18"ers, stand by. I was approaching a stop light at 20 mph and and my first application of brakes (even with initial light application) led to the antiskid shuffle, no stopping power, and a necessary steering maneuver to avoid impact and an induced swerve with an entourage of lights and beeps. I have driven an AUDI and a FORD T-Bird in similar conditions and this thing became unglued much more quickly. It is apparent to me it is not a matter of if, but when this configuration will lead to a crash in slick conditions. The E-gizmos(VDIM) were helping with steering, the A-skid was jittering away, but on hard 18" wheels, it was useless with so liitle traction afforded by the wheel/tire set.

CONDITIONS: 1/2" Fresh WET SNOW on near Lake Michigan, 27Deg F, road not yet salted.

$1600 sounds like a really pricey solution... any other wheel/tire thoughts for less?
Old 12-02-05, 07:37 AM
ScottE
Driver School Candidate

Yeah. 1,600 bucks is a lot of money to be adding to the cost of ownership. I was originally considering just purchasing the tires, but I think I'll be easing the hassle by just swapping the entire combo for free at the dealer. After haggling, the dealer's price was right in line with Tire Rack's - although their package keeps the 18" wheel setup with the 225 fronts and 255 rears. I do trust Tire Rack's recommendation, but I think I'll feel a slight advantage with the smaller 17" rims and narrower tires from the dealer.

I dunno. Seems like no matter how much research one does, there's always several other alternatives that will perform just as well. This is my first foray into this kind of thing and I'm learning as I go.
Old 12-02-05, 11:18 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by kensteele
Hehe, don't scare me like that. 4 tires and 4 rims. I'm going off most of the advice I got here on CL about stressing out the oem rims, saving money d-i-y, etc.

No sensors.

For the Pirelli's, only 18s were available. I'm hoping here in Kansas the snow and ice is not that bad so slippery as to make a difference between 17s and 18s.

Hey Ken, Congrats on the purchase. Did you research whether 17 inch rims were even available? Regardless, I think you'll be fine with the 18's!
Old 12-02-05, 11:19 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ScottE
Yeah. 1,600 bucks is a lot of money to be adding to the cost of ownership. I was originally considering just purchasing the tires, but I think I'll be easing the hassle by just swapping the entire combo for free at the dealer. After haggling, the dealer's price was right in line with Tire Rack's - although their package keeps the 18" wheel setup with the 225 fronts and 255 rears. I do trust Tire Rack's recommendation, but I think I'll feel a slight advantage with the smaller 17" rims and narrower tires from the dealer.

I dunno. Seems like no matter how much research one does, there's always several other alternatives that will perform just as well. This is my first foray into this kind of thing and I'm learning as I go.
Do you have a 250 or 350, I was told there are no 17 inch rims that fit on the 350's larger front brakes... at least not availble until February?
Old 12-02-05, 11:43 AM
ScottE
Driver School Candidate

Default Clearance

I have a 350. I was assured by the dealer that there would be no compatability issues. I sure hope they know what they're talking about. I'm going in tomorrow to have them installed. I'll let you know if they're right.
Old 12-02-05, 11:47 AM
sajonf
Driver

Originally Posted by ES3
Do you have a 250 or 350, I was told there are no 17 inch rims that fit on the 350's larger front brakes... at least not availble until February?
Both cars come standard with 17" rims so you were definitely told wrong.
Old 12-02-05, 11:56 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

I have a 350. I was assured by the dealer that there would be no compatability issues. I sure hope they know what they're talking about. I'm going in tomorrow to have them installed. I'll let you know if they're right.
You should be fine, definitely keep us posted. I wonder why TireRack is having so much difficulty getting 17 inch rims that fit the IS350's brakes? Are you getting the 17 inch rims that come on most IS250's?
Old 12-02-05, 12:08 PM
ScottE
Driver School Candidate

Yup, getting the OEM multi-spoke 17's. They're not too bad-looking. Conservative, but nice. Tire Rack has several really nice 18" choices but they are all WAY too expensive for my blood. The cheapest 18's they offer are $195 per... 5-spoke Kazeras that I think look a little boy-racerish for the IS.

Maybe I'm getting too old.
Old 12-02-05, 12:13 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Yup, getting the OEM multi-spoke 17's. They're not too bad-looking. Conservative, but nice. Tire Rack has several really nice 18" choices but they are all WAY too expensive for my blood. The cheapest 18's they offer are $195 per... 5-spoke Kazeras that I think look a little boy-racerish for the IS.

Maybe I'm getting too old.
Sounds like a pretty darn good setup... how much do the stock 17" wheels run at the dealership? Also, just to confirm, is your cost 1600 plus 200 for the tire pressure sensors?
Old 12-02-05, 12:40 PM
ScottE
Driver School Candidate

According to the dealer (taken with a grain of salt), the 17's retail for $300 a piece. But, as they put it, Lexus wants "to help out " customers looking for a winter tire/wheel package and are offering us lucky people a discount. Okaaay. So, the wheels are now going for around $200 each. The $1,600 is for the whole enchilada, rims, Blizaaks, TPMS and installation (minus tax). And my 18's will stay cozy warm during the off-season in their brand new onsite storage facility. Normally, I avoid the dealer because their prices are so out of line with the rest of the world. But, this became a reasonable deal. And the people that work there are all pretty decent folks.
Old 12-02-05, 02:33 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

What a deal! Still glad to see their discounting SOME. Which dealership again? Thanks for all the info!
Old 12-02-05, 02:54 PM
ScottE
Driver School Candidate

Naperville Lexus.

I'll post the results of the swap if anyone's interested.

Have a great weekend.
Old 12-02-05, 03:11 PM
kensteele
Lexus Champion

Naperville Lexus.

I'll post the results of the swap if anyone's interested.

Have a great weekend.
Hey Scott, I called Naperville to see what they had, they quoted $22xx something....any idea who I could talk to there to see if I can get the same deal if you don't mind letting me know? Thx.

Quick Reply: Question for those with new winter tires/rims