Print Wikipost

Wanna turn off VDIM? :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-05, 02:34 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveG
Well just got back from taking My IS350 w/sport setup to an scca event.

The disable VSC/VDIM trick works for certain and turns all the gadgets off. No question. I was able to hang the *** out on turns and whatever else I wanted. Had a blast!

However, VDIM when enabled really is pretty good stuff for giving you a nice strong run on a course for amateurs and probably a lot of mid-level guys too. When I muffed one of my runs and did a DNF I enabled VDIM for the rest of the course and was pretty impressed. It really does not get in the way for the most part unless you run a really bad line and screw a turn.

So in summary... unless you're a highly competitive AutoX guy, VDIM is your friend.
I highly agree with you. Well said!
Old 11-20-05, 02:54 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
For all of the critics and reviews bashing the VDIM and giving negative points to the IS, there is definitely a reason why the chief engineer designed it for the new IS since more than 60% of the people driving the IS will not have a clue to handle so much power and would end up crashing the car.

Now if only he wouldn't turn it off and do burnous at the press events!

Surely I agree VDIM will save many, MUCH like DSC saves many BMW owners, just give us an off switch like everyone ELSE offers.

It's like dessert after a wonderful meal, you don't need it, but it's nice to hear the specials and sometimes you may order up.
Old 11-20-05, 02:56 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

The disable VSC/VDIM trick works for certain and turns all the gadgets off. No question. I was able to hang the *** out on turns and whatever else I wanted. Had a blast!

However, VDIM when enabled really is pretty good stuff for giving you a nice strong run on a course for amateurs and probably a lot of mid-level guys too. When I muffed one of my runs and did a DNF I enabled VDIM for the rest of the course and was pretty impressed. It really does not get in the way for the most part unless you run a really bad line and screw a turn.

So in summary... unless you're a highly competitive AutoX guy, VDIM is your friend.

You don't work for Lexus do ya!? Seriously thanks for the review, curious, will you leave VDIM on or off next time you hit SCCA?
Old 11-20-05, 03:11 PM
SteveG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
You don't work for Lexus do ya!? Seriously thanks for the review, curious, will you leave VDIM on or off next time you hit SCCA?
Hehe nope... and nope. Well I might do a full course run with VDIM just out of curiosity but I really dont want to get into the habit of depending on that thing to correct my crappy driving.

I wish I didnt forget my camera.. was intending to do a couple videos comparing VDIM on and off on some parts of the track with my friend. Bummer.
Old 11-20-05, 04:04 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this is so cool. makes me wonder how many toyota/lexus vehicles this works on and what year vehicles. does it work on RX and ES with no VSC off button too????
Old 11-20-05, 04:35 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
this is so cool. makes me wonder how many toyota/lexus vehicles this works on and what year vehicles. does it work on RX and ES with no VSC off button too????
So, planning to go offroad in the RX and rally with the ES?
Old 11-20-05, 08:11 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

You can find this lexietech guy if you are a local in Vegas. Fletcher Jones Lexus to be specific.
Old 11-20-05, 11:45 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

I wish I didnt forget my camera.. was intending to do a couple videos comparing VDIM on and off on some parts of the track with my friend. Bummer.
Next time!?
Old 11-21-05, 07:02 AM
maltb
Driver School Candidate

Cool Disabling VDIM on the IS

Found this little tidbit out there, I though it would be cool to try out for those of you with an IS. I don't know if it really works.

http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/2176
Old 11-21-05, 07:19 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Welcome to ClubLexus!

This is too funny.... did you happen follow the link on that 'news' website to the VWVortech forum?

It actually links back here to ClubLexus as the source of the info

1) From: http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/2176
By Alice Hill
RealTechNews

This makes sense when you think about it. Cars have computers and computers have always had hidden Easter eggs and cheat codes, so it was inevitable that someone would find a cheat code hidden inside a car. Case in point: here’s way to disable the traction/skid control systems called VDIM on the Lexus IS:

“start the car with the parking ....
2) To: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2302292&page=1
Originally Posted by Samsom
Nice to see that the IS new keeps the video game theme alive...
"start the car with the parking prake on ....then foot brake twice....(keep the foot brake down)....then parking brake twice (keep it down )and repeat till skid light is on the dash.....it will reset when you restart the car"

Apparently, this disables everything but the ABS.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187987

I think that another test drive is in order.
3) Back to ClubLexus (thanks ES3) https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187987

Last edited by DaveGS4; 11-21-05 at 07:45 AM.
Old 11-21-05, 07:48 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts

so how did you like IS350 on Autox in general? In fact, VDIM is probably the most noticed at Autox, and much less at track where moving tail means you lost some time...

good news for IS owners... so much for terrbile VDIM :-).
Old 11-21-05, 11:37 AM
skingsland
Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Welcome to ClubLexus!

This is too funny.... did you happen follow the link on that 'news' website to the VWVortech forum?

It actually links back here to ClubLexus as the source of the info

1) From: http://www.realtechnews.com/posts/2176

2) To: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2302292&page=1

3) Back to ClubLexus (thanks ES3) https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=187987
4) Then to the original source, My.IS: http://my.is/forums/showpost.php?p=3836933&postcount=17

Originally Posted by lexietech
as it states in the 2006 avalon owners manual ....start the car with the parking prake on ....then foot brake twice....(keep the foot brake down)....then parking brake twice (keep it down )and repeat till skid light is on the dash.....it will reset when you restart the car.....who loves you.......? : )

Last edited by skingsland; 11-21-05 at 11:42 AM.
Old 11-21-05, 03:41 PM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default AutoX and hijinks for all....

with the dreaded VDIM turned off. However if you are not running hot laps and it is raining or sleeting or snowing outside let the VDIM do its job. We need a poll for those that will race their IS350's or not.......I finally got an IS350 to test drive with a current IS300 owner and I told him to try to make it slide around the turn off the lot.... well he took me literally and got it to slip a little as the VDIM stabilized it. He liked the shift lever which was more natural than the steering wheel toggles. He stopped at 5th until I told him he had one more gear. I couldn't believe how much fun this car was to even ride in... My driving tests are on hold for a while because my GM told me that he got the damage report for the IS300 I spun in the rain with the Trac off. $24,000! VDIM is your friend, VDIM is not for wimps. VDIM is smarter than me.....

Rock
Old 11-21-05, 03:48 PM
NotFatBoy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rockville
My driving tests are on hold for a while because my GM told me that he got the damage report for the IS300 I spun in the rain with the Trac off. $24,000!
Ouch! That sucks man
Old 11-21-05, 08:21 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

This is the VSC disable NOT VDIM. Come on guys...get the terms right!

Quick Reply: Wanna turn off VDIM? :)