IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Just Purchased 2004 IS300

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-18, 10:49 PM
mkot93
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Just Purchased 2004 IS300

Very, very new here! Have been lurking on these forums for some time and finally I feel right registering. Just purchased a 2004 IS300 with...wait for it...38,000 miles on it!!! I know. Clean title, runs amazing. Leather seats, sun roof, navi, the whole 9. I literally drove to the dealership as soon as I found it. Automatic...but it was very hard to turn down this opportunity. I am sorry if this is long winded, but im just very excited.

My question is, I guess, what would ya'll recommend as starter upgrades i can do. I've done some research into coilovers, header/exhaust. I've also put some thought into doing the cosmetic things first, but Im really up in the air.

Any insight or "if i were in your position, I would..." comments would be great.

Happy to be here finally!
Old 08-02-18, 12:55 PM
aly0137
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats, nice GEM! I honestly love the IS in stock form. My first mod on my IS was kw v3 coilovers, then exhaust (custom magnaflow), Wilwood bbk, rotors, etc... Nice buy!
The following users liked this post:
mkot93 (08-02-18)
Old 08-06-18, 10:52 AM
Judgement
Driver School Candidate

Preserve it and keep it OE. It's rare to see one that's clean and not either modded out, riced out, or junked out.
You can find those all say long for sale, but a low mileage unicorn is rare. IMO I would keep it the way it is and enjoy it. If you want a modded out one there's plenty on CL.
I've been looking for a clean unmolested one for a while now, and all I seem to find is one's with the mods that you're wanting to do.
Old 09-02-18, 05:28 AM
Thicccluna
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mkot93
Very, very new here! Have been lurking on these forums for some time and finally I feel right registering. Just purchased a 2004 IS300 with...wait for it...38,000 miles on it!!! I know. Clean title, runs amazing. Leather seats, sun roof, navi, the whole 9. I literally drove to the dealership as soon as I found it. Automatic...but it was very hard to turn down this opportunity. I am sorry if this is long winded, but im just very excited.

My question is, I guess, what would ya'll recommend as starter upgrades i can do. I've done some research into coilovers, header/exhaust. I've also put some thought into doing the cosmetic things first, but Im really up in the air.

Any insight or "if i were in your position, I would..." comments would be great.

Happy to be here finally!
hey! Mine is a 2004 as well with 110k miles. Automatic though but I was in the same position, it was too good to pass up. The first thing I did was swap out the cluster lights with LEDs to give it a more classic look. I carbon fiber wrapped the sticky dash, just the front part of it. Swapped out the grille with an altezza one and Cleaned up the headlights.
Old 09-18-18, 02:44 AM
tonynca
Driver

Yeah try to keep it as clean looking as possible. Our cars are victim of rice now. Stay away from cheap rims and tinting headlights and taillights.
Old 09-21-18, 10:07 PM
DrDDay
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what your history of modding cars is, but it's always a good idea to know where you want to go before you start going there.

I would recommend keeping it as stock as your tastes allow. The auto cars aren't super valuable, but your mileage puts it in another category. Don't cheap out on parts. If you ever plan on selling it for value, don't mod it with stuff where you have to really change the car.

What kind of condition is the exhaust in?
Old 10-05-18, 04:17 AM
MacIS
Driver School Candidate

Congrats on the find! I agree with everyone else - try to keep it as "stock" as possible.
Old 01-07-19, 08:19 PM
964fan
Driver School Candidate

Default Riding your coattails

Im the proud new owner of an 02 IS300 Solar Yellow.
All stock with factory chrome wheels.
My goal is to keep the car as close to factory looks and sounds as possible.
I love the factory wheels but they are freakin heavy and I wish they were 8’s in back.
Does anyone make OEM wheels or very close in lighter material and different width. I’ve seen some 15 lbs wheels but they don’t look stock
Id love to see the car with 250 hp. Sheed 100 lbs
Ive got new calipers on the way.
My list or ideas for a potential list
1. coil overs ( this is a back road car)
2. Sway bar
3.Lighter wheels and tires OEM hopefully
4. Intake,cpu, injectors,throttle body, heads not sure what else.
5. Lightweight battery
(4.) I would love to hear any and all thoughts about how to add power without sound. I’d even do some stuff and then add two mufflers if I had to.
I don’t care if it is louder at 6000 rpm full boar but I’m going to drive around some/ partial daily driver. Don’t want drone or sound like I bought it from a teenager
I wrote down headers but maybe with stock exhaust????
please help.
Old 01-08-19, 01:18 PM
MkivRob
Driver School Candidate

That’s crazy I see them every day in California until I finally wanted one bought it completely stock 106k for less than 3500 clean title I got lucky to find for that price though
Old 01-22-19, 09:03 PM
Masonary36
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Thicccluna

hey! Mine is a 2004 as well with 110k miles. Automatic though but I was in the same position, it was too good to pass up. The first thing I did was swap out the cluster lights with LEDs to give it a more classic look. I carbon fiber wrapped the sticky dash, just the front part of it. Swapped out the grille with an altezza one and Cleaned up the headlights.
What does your IS look like? I've never heard of wrapping the dash but my 04 has the sticky dash issue as well and it bugs the crap outta me. What does the LED cluster look like?
Old 01-24-19, 07:43 AM
toneekay
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly, I'm in the same boat as the rest of these guys as far as keeping it as stock as possible. At the very least, I would only do suspension mods, and that doesn't mean -10 camber suspension mods... It means functional, that will allow you to enjoy the car even more while driving spiritedly.

NA performance mods aren't worth it. They'll create more sound, but yield no actual performance gains (I/H/E).... Unless that's your thing.
Old 08-29-19, 01:39 PM
Stuis01
Driver School Candidate

Default Stock

I agree keep it stock and learn how to drive it that way

If you must lower, go straight to coilovers, Megan seems popular although I got fortune auto 500

If you lower you need to replace many parts