Old 08-23-17, 05:14 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
Default WorksBell Paddle shifter install & review

Parts:
Bee*Racing steering wheel
WorksBell Paddle Shifter NEO

Install is pretty straightforward. Remove the old steering wheel.
Install the hub. The paddle shifters install directly between the hub and the wheel.

Important note: I translated the japanese wiring, and North American IS300s follow the Aristo /GS300/400/430 wiring diagram. NOT the Altezza.
You put the left, right, and ground wire pins into the supplied plug, and plug it into the clockspring as you are bolting the paddles and the wheel to the hub.

Personally I love paddleshifters. I never liked the format Toyota/Lexus did with the e-shift buttons.

It looks awesome

Old 08-27-17, 10:19 AM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Update after a nice 150 mile roundtrip daycation to my friend's house. The paddles seem to respond faster than the buttons in manual mode. Whether that has to do with better contacts for the ground signal to trigger, or by design... maybe the e-shift buttons are built a certain way so that you need a certain amount of force for the contacts to trigger, or that with age the buttons have worn out a bit...

Either way, the paddles make acceleration from a stop a lot more fun lol. Same for highway onramps and offramps, and downshifting to pass.
Old 08-30-17, 06:41 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

Just adding this simple wiring diagram I made. This is of the white plug that connects to the factory clockspring. This is how all IS300s are, and GS300 GS400 GS430s

**NOTE** follow this as you install the left, right, and ground wire pins into the white plug

Last edited by 1997Soarer; 11-27-19 at 02:33 PM. Reason: added note
Old 11-24-19, 09:20 PM
Cyung12
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have anymore pics during the install also which version do you have cause Ik theres one on vivid racing that comes as a kit I believe.
Old 11-26-19, 11:52 AM
EuroWill
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 1997Soarer
Update after a nice 150 mile roundtrip daycation to my friend's house. The paddles seem to respond faster than the buttons in manual mode. Whether that has to do with better contacts for the ground signal to trigger, or by design... maybe the e-shift buttons are built a certain way so that you need a certain amount of force for the contacts to trigger, or that with age the buttons have worn out a bit...

Either way, the paddles make acceleration from a stop a lot more fun lol. Same for highway onramps and offramps, and downshifting to pass.
I have been planning to do this to my GS300.

Is there anyway to prevent the transmission from automatically shifting at redline so you can turn more RPMs?

Will
Old 11-26-19, 01:01 PM
Cyung12
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EuroWill

Is there anyway to prevent the transmission from automatically shifting at redline so you can turn more RPMs?

Will
Do you have manual mode?
Old 11-26-19, 01:02 PM
Cyung12
Driver School Candidate

Will
Also that's your computer so if you want RPMs gotta deal with that
Old 11-26-19, 02:22 PM
EuroWill
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyung12
Also that's your computer so if you want RPMs gotta deal with that
Yes I have manual mode. I am planning to run a stand-alone eventually, but not yet.

I am actually a Lexus tech, but no one at my shop has messed with modifying the early cars so they don’t know how to prevent it from automatically upshifting in manual mode.

Will
Old 11-26-19, 11:10 PM
Cyung12
Driver School Candidate

Yes I have manual mode. I am planning to run a stand-alone eventually, but not yet.

I am actually a Lexus tech, but no one at my shop has messed with modifying the early cars so they don’t know how to prevent it from automatically upshifting in manual mode.

Will
that's weird I just drove my 2GS and I be banging gears on red line till I shift. I know the lowest in manual mode is 2 gears maybe you just have some weird rev limiter.
Old 11-27-19, 02:35 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

I didn't bother to take pics of the install of the hub or steering wheel because installing those pieces are no different than any other hub and wheel install. You can search for aftermarket steering wheel install here on clublexus or my.is or even youtube and it's the same process. IS300, GS. SC, LS, etc
The kit includes the paddles, hardware, and a hub. So the good news is you don't need to buy a hub separately.

This is WorksBell part # 528NEO. This kit is plug and play on Altezzas/IS300s and 2nd gen Aristos/GS3/4(3)0s.

Oh and to make aftermarket horns work 100% of the time, I used a WorksBell grounding ring between the hub and the paddles then wired the horn to ground to it. I don't remember if the ring came with the paddleshifters, or it was something left over from my Rapfix QR I put in my SC300.
I can't recall if I had issues with the MOMO button working, but when I replaced this wheel with a C-ONE and put in a Personal horn button the horn wouldn't work at all. The button was trying to ground to the paddles and since it's anodized it's non-conductive. What I did to fix this is I connected (wrapped) a 2in ground wire from the horn ground prong and put a slip fit connector on the other end. This connects to the grounding ring

Last edited by 1997Soarer; 11-27-19 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Added how to make horn work
Old 01-18-22, 10:28 PM
Sleep
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this thread is pretty old but does anyone with aftermarket wheels have successfully keep the cruise control?
Old 01-23-22, 05:24 PM
1997Soarer
Instructor

You should probably search for that answer on my.IS.
HKB makes a hub for the JZA80 Supra, JZZ Soarer and the JZS147 Aristo that has cruise control buttons on it, but I actually tried to see if that would work on my IS300 so I could have cruise and aftermarket paddleshifters... and found out the older cars use an analog control system while the JZS160 Aristos and JCE/SXE/GXE Altezzas are digital.
I searched for a bit thinking maybe some company did make something but didn't find anything. That was in the summer of 2017. I've seen some smaller stick-on touchpads that mimic cruise stalks come to market for other cars, but so far nothing for older Toyota/Lexus cars of our era

Last edited by 1997Soarer; 01-23-22 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-24-22, 10:34 AM
Sleep
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1997Soarer
You should probably search for that answer on my.IS.
HKB makes a hub for the JZA80 Supra, JZZ Soarer and the JZS147 Aristo that has cruise control buttons on it, but I actually tried to see if that would work on my IS300 so I could have cruise and aftermarket paddleshifters... and found out the older cars use an analog control system while the JZS160 Aristos and JCE/SXE/GXE Altezzas are digital.
I searched for a bit thinking maybe some company did make something but didn't find anything. That was in the summer of 2017. I've seen some smaller stick-on touchpads that mimic cruise stalks come to market for other cars, but so far nothing for older Toyota/Lexus cars of our era
I remember seeing someone mounted the entire cruise control assembly on the aftermarket steering wheel but not sure, maybe I’ll try to do it and give an update.
Old 01-25-22, 11:26 AM
1997Soarer
Instructor

^ yeah this is what's most common right now. There are at least 2 companies that sell an aluminum bracket that is basically universal for 6 bolt wheels. I don't exactly know how the stalk mounts to the bracket tho, or how the wiring works
The following users liked this post:
Sleep (03-28-22)
Old 02-05-23, 03:48 AM
Choppz
Driver School Candidate

Lmk if you want to sell your hub and paddles please

Quick Reply: WorksBell Paddle shifter install & review