p0446 vent malfunction troubleshoot

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-17, 05:47 PM
jerkeyboy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face p0446 vent malfunction troubleshoot

Hello fellow lexi owners...

I came across the p0446 code a little while ago and was clearing it but with time (expected), the code came back quicker than the time before. I know this code is the EVAP control system vent control circuit malfunction. I have done some research from many threads on this and gave a fair idea of what is all involved in the EVAP system. I know my gas cap is not the problem, it passed emissions recently and does not leak. I checked under the hood for cracked hoses, actually found a couple near the intake and the one solenoid that mounted to the intake box and replaced/snugged them up. Next, I found a hose that was totally destroyed at the clutch fork coming from a blue solenoid, that ran under the intake manifold to smaller aluminum breather pipe (I think its a breather). I replaced that and honestly thought all my issues would go away but they didnt. I guess it was that along with something else?? My next step is to replace the VSV as I think this monitors the pressure/vacuum coming from the gas tank. This may make sense because when I fill up my empty tank, I always get a swoooshh sound when cracking the cap. Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe someone can clarify this but wouldn't that mean there is a lot of vacuum from the tank, meaning the VSV is fine? Could this also be the fuel shut off valve? I know it could be the charcoal canister but I'm trying to rule everything else out prior to replacing that. Can anyone else explain what the blue solenoid is and what it does that I found by the clutch fork?

Also, I've heard that when overfilling the tank, fuel can run down a line it shouldnt to the canister, and it can clog that line. If its not too late this line can be blown out to clear out the clogged area. Does anyone know what exact line that might be? When reading about it, it seemed as if it were right by the gas cap but there really isnt anything to blow air into.

Any advice/knowledge on this is greatly appreciated. I do not have any of the p0440 or p0441 codes that typically goes along with these issues.
Old 05-15-17, 05:48 PM
jerkeyboy
Driver School Candidate

can someone post a pic of the blue solenoid so I can make sure the hoses are routed properly? I can't find any close up pics online without knowing what its even called....
Old 05-21-17, 06:00 PM
Jerkey
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update. I ended up finding an old thread and noticing that the cc vsv was routed backwards. Switched that around and still throwing the code. Doesn't even make sense how I'm fixing things that are wrong and my problem still exists. Does anyone know how to check to see if the valve is working properly? Maybe it would make sense if it is stuck closed and that being the reason I get the swoosh sound when opening my gas cap. Really hoping someone chimes in on this. Is it possible that the line coming into the vsv is clogged? Otherwise it doesn't make sense as to why the tank isn't being vented. I don't know if I should continue diagnosing this area private move back towards the tank and canister
Old 10-05-17, 10:48 AM
Altezza94
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jerkey
Update. I ended up finding an old thread and noticing that the cc vsv was routed backwards. Switched that around and still throwing the code. Doesn't even make sense how I'm fixing things that are wrong and my problem still exists. Does anyone know how to check to see if the valve is working properly? Maybe it would make sense if it is stuck closed and that being the reason I get the swoosh sound when opening my gas cap. Really hoping someone chimes in on this. Is it possible that the line coming into the vsv is clogged? Otherwise it doesn't make sense as to why the tank isn't being vented. I don't know if I should continue diagnosing this area private move back towards the tank and canister
I know this is 5 months later, but I just had this same issue. HONESTLY, first change your gas cap, it's 10 bucks and never hurts. Second, look for a local shop to smoke test your hoses. After 12-15 years the hoses start to get brittle being exposed to heat, and a small leak can cause this code. I was showing P0446 and P0440 (Cat code), but I got it smoke tested first and my mechanic found that a single hose in the EVAP system that was leaking. He switched it out and my car just passed smog a few days later.