2005 is300 Newb to the forums!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-17, 12:19 AM
FluxedEdge
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 is300 Newb to the forums!

Hi, new guy here!

One year ago, I bought a very unmolested 2005 is300 w/70k miles on it.

This is her now still going strong with 79k miles:

Now, if you can't tell by looking at the pictures I'm on a budget till the end of this year when I've paid off some... mistakes..

Most of my mods have been cheap Amazon/Ebay mods. But for now, they've satisfied me till I can replace them with more official (not knock-off) parts.

Everything is pretty much stock, but here are some exterior mods;

- Plasti-dipped wheels (matte black)
- Amazon front lip
- Amazon rain guards
- Amazon Altezza grill
- Ebay LED tail lights (the full lit red/clear ones. Top half red, blinker/reverse area clear)
- Ebay black-out (inside) headlights
- Vinyl Matte Black sun-strip (I do a lot of vinyl stuff)
- I've also done a ***** job of wrapping the gauge hood in blue micro-suede. (it doesn't look too bad unless you look closely, first time)
- for fun, RGB LED foot-well lighting in front and back. Hard-wired straight under the center console/back of cigarette lighter.

- Only thing I've done under the hood so far is a drop in K&N air filter, which actually sounds pretty nice.

Next project in-store is coil-overs and wheels/tires.
^This is where I'd like some opinions^

So, I really enjoy the widebody scene. A full kit is too expensive for me currently, but I love the look of the ZG flares on old Datsun Zs.. I bought some 3" flares off ebay and they really aren't as bad as I thought they would be.
Once I get wheels and tires, I plan on installing the flares. My problem is, I haven't seen any is300s with this sort of setup. I know some people that are running the Clinched widebody kit and MonsterService kits but I'm not ready to drop that much cash on a kit yet when I'd prefer to do a lot of other things first.

The wheels I'm looking at (hate if you must) are the XXR 550s 18x9.75 +19 in Matte Black (Enkei RS05RR knock-offs) and the XXR 521/536 18x10 +25 in Matte Black with 3.25-3.5" step-lip. These would both be all around, I don't like the look of staggered wheels on our cars. I'm not looking to do any camber or slam it, I want everything flush. Does this all make sense?

Since I've never done this sort of "flare build" will it matter how wide I go in the front? As far as rubbing goes?

I think with the flares, if I only get the wheels with the offset they offer... I'll have to get spacers to fill the rest of the gap, never used spacers so I'm not sure about using them.

I'd appreciate any help I could get with sorting our where I need to go with wheels, I know they're both very different styles as well, which is also a hard choice for me.

Any recommendations are welcome as well!

Sorry for the longish first post! Thanks for any help!