IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Ignition Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-16, 04:16 AM
Matyszczuk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Swap

Hello Guys Fresh and new to here, but been referring to your forums for a couple yrs now, finally became a member!!! Now I have a question I have a 2001 is300 lost All my keys well actually my last one I had was in my moms cars which just got stolen this Saturday and now I have no way of getting into my car. I found a crashed 2003 is300 with keys and all so now my question is can I swap the ignition and ecu and would that work from the 03 to the 01? Thanks in advance appreciate it
Old 04-25-16, 09:37 AM
01MSMSXE10
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Matyszczuk
Hello Guys Fresh and new to here, but been referring to your forums for a couple yrs now, finally became a member!!! Now I have a question I have a 2001 is300 lost All my keys well actually my last one I had was in my moms cars which just got stolen this Saturday and now I have no way of getting into my car. I found a crashed 2003 is300 with keys and all so now my question is can I swap the ignition and ecu and would that work from the 03 to the 01? Thanks in advance appreciate it
There is a way to restore "all keys lost" on an 01 is300.

Your 01 ecu has different pinouts than the 02-05 model therefore swapping the ecu alone won't be enough, the wiring harness would also need to be swapped.

Best thing to do in your situation would be to call a master lock smith and they can program you a master key from a blank slate.
Old 04-25-16, 11:44 AM
Matyszczuk
Driver School Candidate

Thanks I called the lexus dealership in my area and they said that they would have to laser cut new keys and reflash the ecu is that what needs to be done as well?
Old 04-25-16, 11:49 AM
01MSMSXE10
Driver

Originally Posted by Matyszczuk
Thanks I called the lexus dealership in my area and they said that they would have to laser cut new keys and reflash the ecu is that what needs to be done as well?
yes, some dealerships can't reflash the ecu, however if you could get a new master key cut for your IS there are several tech forums on the web that can assist.

For instance, I was told by a number of people if I lost one of my master keys to my car It was lost forever because a new one couldn't be programmed? (my situation was different I at least had one master key). I was able to program a key myself using an original master key.

There are a number of tools that you can use, the SKP 900 is an immobilizer tool, plugs into the OBD port. I would recommend doing a google search for

"lexus all keys lost tool"
Old 04-25-16, 11:56 AM
01MSMSXE10
Driver

So I watched this video a number of times and laugh every time because if this is all it takes, FML.

Anyway this guy uses a paperclip on this ISF to reprogram a key. Will it work for ours? I'll find out soon as I finish this uz swap (98 GS400 ecu's can't be "reseeded" much like 01 IS300 ecus)

now I know this is on a different model and a much newer year, but it's worth a shot right?

Old 04-25-16, 12:37 PM
Matyszczuk
Driver School Candidate

Lol, thank you for the help I appreciate it a lot.
Old 12-03-17, 06:12 PM
Hiteshew
Driver School Candidate

Did this ever work for anyone?
Old 12-03-17, 07:54 PM
01MSMSXE10
Driver

Originally Posted by Hiteshew
Did this ever work for anyone?

This method will not work for the 01 ecus. however not all hope is lost for those with 01 IS300s. Here's a break down of what your options are: first you have to ask Do I have a Master key?

1) if Your answer is yes, you can program a 2nd master key from your first master key by completing the "pedal dance" programming sequence. There are several forums about this procedure. This works for 01 and up IS300s.

If you do not have a master key here are your options:

for 01 ECUs
1.you can call a lock smith that knows how to reprogram the eeprom IC800 chip on the circuit board to set the ecu to an "auto program sequence". This will allow you to program 2 master keys and a valet key to the original ecu.
2. replace the ECU with another 01 ECU that has at least 1 master key (see procedure above as to program a second master key to the ECU).

for 02-05 ECUs

1. a dealer can reseed the information for the immobilizer reset from a TIS computer.
2. Lock smith can do this as well.
3. You could switch the ECU with another 02-05 ecu as long as it has a master key, but this could be the most expensive route, unless you've got a stock pile of ECUs.

Remember when I say MASTER key, you don't need the actual key shank (blade). You only need the 3 button remote for said ECU.
The following users liked this post:
Hiteshew (12-06-17)
Old 12-06-17, 02:39 PM
Hiteshew
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 01MSMSXE10
This method will not work for the 01 ecus. however not all hope is lost for those with 01 IS300s. Here's a break down of what your options are: first you have to ask Do I have a Master key?

1) if Your answer is yes, you can program a 2nd master key from your first master key by completing the "pedal dance" programming sequence. There are several forums about this procedure. This works for 01 and up IS300s.

If you do not have a master key here are your options:

for 01 ECUs
1.you can call a lock smith that knows how to reprogram the eeprom IC800 chip on the circuit board to set the ecu to an "auto program sequence". This will allow you to program 2 master keys and a valet key to the original ecu.
2. replace the ECU with another 01 ECU that has at least 1 master key (see procedure above as to program a second master key to the ECU).

for 02-05 ECUs

1. a dealer can reseed the information for the immobilizer reset from a TIS computer.
2. Lock smith can do this as well.
3. You could switch the ECU with another 02-05 ecu as long as it has a master key, but this could be the most expensive route, unless you've got a stock pile of ECUs.

Remember when I say MASTER key, you don't need the actual key shank (blade). You only need the 3 button remote for said ECU.

Thank you, this is what i was trying to figure out for a week now. I have a new ecu with key coming now.. and 2 extra keys to program so this never happens again! Thanks again!