IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

2002 is300 Engine turns over but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-13, 06:44 PM
snowis300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

theres three things !! Your battary, alternator or starter !!
Old 12-27-16, 12:34 PM
Airwalk161
Driver School Candidate

Default This sol

Originally Posted by Chuck1906
@itr206 Yes I tried giving it some gas last week but it still wouldn't catch. So today I was about to try some of the things that was suggested above then I pulled out the manual and it said something about Fuel Pump Shut Off System and that in order to restart the engine I had to turn my key to ACC then back to the lock position then attempt to start the car. So I did just that except I pumped the gas a few times until it caught! I let the car run for about 5 minutes then I shut it off. Then started it again and It started right up as if nothing was wrong! I then let it run for about 15-20 minutes and drove it around the block before shutting it off.

I am not sure what caused this to even happen in the first place. Now 2 weeks ago I had my Serpentine belt replaced and I am not sure if that had anything to do with it or not.
This solved my issue as well. I wanted to let people know so I created an account. I on the other hand have NO IDEA whatsoever what caused this to happen. it's cold now, in the winter, and I had been starting my car every day up until Christmas to move it slightly in the garage. so it had been about 3 days of sitting there. but who knows. 01 IS300
Old 12-27-16, 12:39 PM
Airwalk161
Driver School Candidate

Default In my experience...

Originally Posted by Chuck1906
@DeeJayKnox,

If you still have your manual, turn to page 308. It has to do with the fuel pump shut off system. I just turned my ignition to ACC once then attempted to start it up and started right up. It was a bit choppy and smoky for a little while due to gas that needed to be burned out. What I can't remember is if I turned the key to ACC then back to off then attempting to start the car or if I went to ACC and from there started the car.

Hope this helps.

Chuck
All I can say, is that when this worked for me, I turned the key to ACC for 5 seconds, counting in my head, then to the off position for 3, then to full ignition. My start up was a bit rough as well, smoky and sputtering, due to all the Gas build up from trying to start it prior to this solution. 01 IS300
Old 04-17-22, 03:40 PM
LineLife42
Driver School Candidate

Default Immobilizer?

Originally Posted by diagtime
You've made it easy. Security light still blinking means immobiliser system does not recognize the key. is the electronic part of the key still there? is it the same key you've always used? security light blinking means it will spark but will give it no fuel.
I was gifted a 02 IS300 we’ve replaced fuel pump coil packs wires plugs spark ignitior to no avail…. The security lite blinks all the time please help
Old 06-17-22, 02:23 AM
JohnW11
1st Gear

Maybe try and get some new parts for it. That worked for me last time, I used two companies, because the parts from fullcartuning.com didn't really work me.
Old 08-25-22, 10:54 PM
chris57492
1st Gear

Originally Posted by dsouthmia0
Put the key in the ignition and see if your security light stays flashing on your gauges. If its still flashing after putting in your key than you need to reprogram it. This happened to me
how did you reprogram it ? Or what did you do sorry I’m late
Old 08-27-22, 02:51 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 748 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by chris57492
how did you reprogram it ? Or what did you do sorry I’m late
Hello,

Really depends on whether you still have an already programmed key for the car at your disposal.

Below is the video on how to program a key if you still have an old one.

Below is the video on how to program a key if you don't have any keys to fit the car.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old 11-20-22, 06:19 PM
a1accord
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Airwalk161
All I can say, is that when this worked for me, I turned the key to ACC for 5 seconds, counting in my head, then to the off position for 3, then to full ignition. My start up was a bit rough as well, smoky and sputtering, due to all the Gas build up from trying to start it prior to this solution. 01 IS300

I tried this, the engine is sputtering but not starting. I know i’m close to fixing it but don’t know where to go from here.
Old 11-21-22, 03:43 AM
2001SolarY
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by a1accord
I tried this, the engine is sputtering but not starting. I know i’m close to fixing it but don’t know where to go from here.
Did you check for spark?
Old 11-21-22, 04:21 PM
a1accord
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 2001SolarY
Did you check for spark?

Yeah there is spark
Old 11-21-22, 04:47 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Hello,

How did the issue start?
Any Check Engine Lights?

A video would be helpful.

If there was any engine service done recently, check the compression, just in case, it can save you a lot of time on chasing ghosts.

Use this tool to check the spark strength, a good coil should have enough strength to fire through about 5-7mm air gap. Next, check the fuel dampener on the fuel rack, there is a screw head that should be raised, if not, you have issues with fuel pressure.

If all that is good, try plugging the intake with a rag or something, making sure it wouldn't get sucked into the engine, and then try starting the car, if it will start and run better than it did, there is a chance you have a vacuum leak, listen closely to any hissing sounds.

For anything else, you will need a scan tool capable of showing Engine Live Data. Look for readouts you get while cranking and starting the engine, some parameters should stay fixed, some should follow along, post what you get.

Old 11-21-22, 05:32 PM
a1accord
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

How did the issue start?
Any Check Engine Lights?

A video would be helpful.

If there was any engine service done recently, check the compression, just in case, it can save you a lot of time on chasing ghosts.

Use this tool to check the spark strength, a good coil should have enough strength to fire through about 5-7mm air gap. Next, check the fuel dampener on the fuel rack, there is a screw head that should be raised, if not, you have issues with fuel pressure.

If all that is good, try plugging the intake with a rag or something, making sure it wouldn't get sucked into the engine, and then try starting the car, if it will start and run better than it did, there is a chance you have a vacuum leak, listen closely to any hissing sounds.

For anything else, you will need a scan tool capable of showing Engine Live Data. Look for readouts you get while cranking and starting the engine, some parameters should stay fixed, some should follow along, post what you get.

Is there any way for me to contact you? The picture and video won’t send for some reason.
Old 11-21-22, 05:49 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Originally Posted by a1accord
Is there any way for me to contact you? The picture and video won’t send for some reason.
Post the video to YouTube and share a link here, you can make it as "Unlisted", meaning it can be only seen with a link if you need it. For pictures, there is a button on top of the text box you need to use to post a picture, it is shown below.

Old 11-21-22, 05:51 PM
a1accord
6th Gear

Post the video to YouTube and share a link here, you can make it as "Unlisted", meaning it can be only seen with a link if you need it. For pictures, there is a button on top of the text box you need to use to post a picture, it is shown below.

Old 11-21-22, 05:54 PM
a1accord
6th Gear

Quick Reply: 2002 is300 Engine turns over but won't start