IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Is300?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-11, 07:22 PM
ls300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is300?

Hey guys, I just wanted to know If you would recomend the is300 as my first car. I got my liscense like a month ago and I have been driving my moms car around. I'm a Good driver and all but would my insurance cost to much? Thats pretty much all I want to know. I would really love this car but if insurance is to high I'll Just find something else.

Thanks!
Old 11-01-11, 07:44 PM
ls300
Driver School Candidate

Also I was wondering because my friend has a rsx and he only pays like 1200 for a 2door and is300 is 4door. Idk Lemme know what you think so I can start looking at cars.
Old 11-01-11, 07:48 PM
NCis300
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

i think there are too many people that come on here and ask the same f!@#$ing questions. not trying to be a **** but you can go throught the first 3 pages of the 1is part of the forum and see like 5 of these same threads
Old 11-01-11, 07:49 PM
210IS300
Pole Position

Best bet is to call insurence places in ur area n find out a. Ballpark price... unless someone here is ur exact age n in the same area as u its hard to tell... I'm 23 no tickets no wrecks n still pay 125a month for full coverage on my 04 1is.... so call ur local inaurence agency n find out urself not tryin to be mean...
Old 11-01-11, 09:04 PM
czum09
Driver

No I don't recommend this as your first car. Buy a Honda, rice it out and rev it to the limiter all the time. Don't get a Lexus until you can respect it. Most nice cars like these will end up around a tree if in the wrong hands. Not trying to be an a$$ but seriously when I was in high school I would have never understood or respected this car. Also google and search are your friends. Good luck.
Old 11-02-11, 02:15 AM
djluxury
Driver School Candidate

Honestly bro insurance is insurance it's gonna be high no matter what car you get if you have a very steady job and make good money get a nice car you will respect and love driving because you bought it and because you are worrying about insurance and what not you will probably have to pay for the car yourself get whatever the heck you want that will make you happy
Old 11-02-11, 03:59 AM
Zstuddin
Pole Position

Dude my first car was a del sol and I rolled it. I say get an 87 ford f150. Drive it a year. Wrap it around a tree to get your first wreck out of the way, then think about a nice car
Old 11-02-11, 05:50 AM
ls300
Driver School Candidate

Thanks I guess? I'm still not getting a Honda. lol
Old 11-02-11, 08:26 AM
NCis300
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

get a dsm. that was my first car. still love them and you get to learn a lot about mechanics of a vehicle because their not the most reliable
Old 11-02-11, 01:11 PM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can afford the insurance then why not!? Get the IS300 if you can...it's a great car. Just be smart with it and don't be an idiot behind the wheel. Take care of it and it will take care of you.

My first car btw...was a 240....man I missed that ride.
Old 11-02-11, 01:51 PM
Not Daniel
Rookie

Originally Posted by ls300
Thanks I guess? I'm still not getting a Honda. lol
S2000? For the price of an IS300, you could also get a nice S2000. I had one; it was great.

I bought my IS300 recently, and I've gotta say I'm a little disappointed. It's probably mainly due to the fact that I've come from a history of performance cars and the IS300 is definitely intended for a luxury ride. It's not to say that you can't stiffen up the chassis or suspension; however it requires more work to get on equal footing to a lot of cars and for less.

That said, as a daily driver, it's amazing. All the creature comforts I could ever ask for.

Modification-wise...parts are either really expensive or really hard to find. Maintenance is a bit tricky too. Having to remove the intake manifold to change spark plugs isn't the hardest thing in the world; but still time consuming.

From the average consumer stand-point...it's a great car. Would make a great first car, it's 4 doors so you can haul you and your friends around. Gas is expensive, it's 6cyl...but that's all relative to how much you drive it. Treat it well and this car will last forever.

From a modification stand-point...unless you know what you're doing or are ready to spend some serious money to get it looking great...I might consider getting something else.

Personally, I'm probably going to keep it as my daily until it dies and either build a new GE motor or swap a GTE all together. Good luck, buddy.
Old 11-02-11, 02:34 PM
tailwind4
Driver

everyone says they are a great driver at 16 till they total their first car. my friend got an is300 at 16 and rolled it. wouldnt buy my kid one but thats just my two cents
Old 11-02-11, 05:05 PM
ls300
Driver School Candidate

Well im not your friend , and yah I found other cars. Peace.
Old 11-02-11, 05:06 PM
ls300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Not Daniel
S2000? For the price of an IS300, you could also get a nice S2000. I had one; it was great.

I bought my IS300 recently, and I've gotta say I'm a little disappointed. It's probably mainly due to the fact that I've come from a history of performance cars and the IS300 is definitely intended for a luxury ride. It's not to say that you can't stiffen up the chassis or suspension; however it requires more work to get on equal footing to a lot of cars and for less.

That said, as a daily driver, it's amazing. All the creature comforts I could ever ask for.

Modification-wise...parts are either really expensive or really hard to find. Maintenance is a bit tricky too. Having to remove the intake manifold to change spark plugs isn't the hardest thing in the world; but still time consuming.

From the average consumer stand-point...it's a great car. Would make a great first car, it's 4 doors so you can haul you and your friends around. Gas is expensive, it's 6cyl...but that's all relative to how much you drive it. Treat it well and this car will last forever.

From a modification stand-point...unless you know what you're doing or are ready to spend some serious money to get it looking great...I might consider getting something else.

Personally, I'm probably going to keep it as my daily until it dies and either build a new GE motor or swap a GTE all together. Good luck, buddy.
Helped. Thanks
Old 11-02-11, 06:27 PM
210IS300
Pole Position

I have a s2k ap2 n 04 is300... from a adult standpoint its IS all the way but most "kids" these days would rather have a s2000... so I think I kno what he will choose.. oh but being 16 n having a AP1... lol good luck with insurence hope ur parents help out.. lol

Quick Reply: Is300?