IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

SCREW the I35 WHAT ABOUT THE G35 as a threat!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-02, 03:05 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default SCREW the I35 WHAT ABOUT THE G35 as a threat!!!!!

the G35 looks like much more of a sweeter car then the I35 and has more power.. and is basically a V35 skyline.. has anyone seen it besides me and what do ya thnk?
Old 01-15-02, 03:18 PM
MrIan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well on paper, the G35 is a big threat to the IS. 255 hp for a car with relatively the same weight. We're going to have to wait for some real performance numbers.
Old 01-15-02, 11:20 PM
v300
Lead Lap

...wonder if Nissan/Infiniti will slap the close ratio 6-speed on the G35?
Old 01-16-02, 08:58 AM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Infiniti is sooping up their game now to compete with alot of cars - Acura TL/CL Type-S, BMW 330ci, the IS 300, Audi A4, C class Benz, and from all the hype it seems like they just might be another competitor, especially for the IS 300.
Old 01-16-02, 11:56 AM
Christobol
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen the car at the LA Autoshow, and I didn't think much of it. You can definately see it's Altima hertiage. The car is not very sport in my opinion. It will need a lot of $ to get that to level equalivant to an IS or 3xx.

The engine in that thing is NICE though. If they throw in the 6 speed from the Maxima, but give it a shorter throw whomever owns it will be stoked. Since I only got to look at it, I have no idea what is actually in it. The Maxima Exhaust sounds pretty good to me (I hate rice), hopefully they do soemthing similar with the G.
Old 01-16-02, 08:10 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Altima heritage? This design came out in 1999 as the XVL, before the altima design was even thought of. It has 260hp BTW and the 6 speed manual from the Z will come in the fall when the coupe arrives. The coupe will be wider, sleeker and more powerful than the sedan. www.infinti.com

How can you say it will take a lot of money to get it up to IS level if it has not been tested yet? Just like i cant say that it will blow the IS away in all categories.
Old 01-16-02, 08:42 PM
EmoDragRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I agree that the G35 2 door will be way nicer and faster then the IS
Old 01-16-02, 10:43 PM
futuregs
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by fairuza11
I agree that the G35 2 door will be way nicer and faster then the IS
I don't think it will be nicer. Infiniti's G cars have always been the entry level Infiniti. The G class Infinitis are supposedly suppossed to stay under the 30k mark. I doubt it will ride as nice as an IS 300, or be any more luxurious than an IS 300.
Old 01-17-02, 12:51 AM
Christobol
Advanced

Originally posted by DROD2045
Altima heritage? This design came out in 1999 as the XVL, before the altima design was even thought of. It has 260hp BTW and the 6 speed manual from the Z will come in the fall when the coupe arrives. The coupe will be wider, sleeker and more powerful than the sedan. www.infinti.com

How can you say it will take a lot of money to get it up to IS level if it has not been tested yet? Just like i cant say that it will blow the IS away in all categories.
When I said it will take a lot of money to reach IS or 3 series, I was refering to the looks. I wasn't considering the proformance at all. I don't think the car is very attractive, and in order to get it to be competitive with our cars you'll have to do a lot of body and ride mods.

I don't think that the IS will be more luxurious. Lets face it , the IS doesn't have the most expensive interior. That has been one of the major critisims of it. Infinity has a reputation of building cars that look quite nice for the money (interior). We'll just have to wait and see how the G looks. I was only able to look in through tinted windows, so it was difficult to tell.

Oh and the IS is the entry level sedan for Lexus (MSRP), so the G being the entry level sedan for Infinity is null.
Old 01-17-02, 08:17 AM
Scrap
Driver School Candidate

I don't think it will be nicer. Infiniti's G cars have always been the entry level Infiniti. The G class Infinitis are supposedly suppossed to stay under the 30k mark. I doubt it will ride as nice as an IS 300, or be any more luxurious than an IS 300.
Well, the G35 will be nicer as far as ammenities and interior build quality goes (I agree with Christobol - let's face it, the IS doesn't have an exactly "luxurious" interior). The G35 is actually going to go for about $35K fully loaded, and they are completely moving away from the old G20 (I think they should have named this car something else besides the "G"35, as many people will think about the G20 it replaces) - They are making less than 5% base vehicles, and the base is now $29K.

This car will have a serious performance advantage over the IS as far as acceleration is concernerd, with 260HP - but we all know performance is more than just going fast in a straight line, so we'll have to see how it handles (although I'm sure it'll handle great as well).

Don't discount it yet...

To see the various configurations available (and pricing), go here:
G35 website

Scrap.
Old 01-17-02, 12:51 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Originally posted by futuregs

Its starts at 27,100 and tops at at 35k. It is as actually MUCH more luxurious than an IS. It rides much smoother as well as it is a sport tourer type sedan. You read it a the 4car review. But thats not saying much since the IS has a bumpy harsh ride and isnt luxurious at all. And as noted, the IS is lexus' entry car.
Old 01-17-02, 01:19 PM
Rob L
Rookie

Funny that someone can comment/compare a car that they haven't even driven. You can't say it will ride way better than the IS since it isn't even out yet!

And how is the IS not luxurious at all? What, is it a geo metro? I don't understand. I have a 2001 IS and it is fairly luxurious. Granted it could be better but still, it is not junk inside or anything.

Oh and FYI, I also have a 2001 LS430 with the UL package so I think I am somewhat qualified to comment on luxury.

Last edited by Rob L; 01-17-02 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-17-02, 03:16 PM
Christobol
Advanced

Originally posted by Rob L
Funny that someone can comment/compare a car that they haven't even driven. You can't say it will ride way better than the IS since it isn't even out yet!

And how is the IS not luxurious at all? What, is it a geo metro? I don't understand. I have a 2001 IS and it is fairly luxurious. Granted it could be better but still, it is not junk inside or anything.

Oh and FYI, I also have a 2001 LS430 with the UL package so I think I am somewhat qualified to comment on luxury.
I'm saying that compared to all other Lexus' made it's not very luxurious. My parents have to have an LS, and a LX and both of those blow the IS away. But of course they should, they cost another 30 grand. When I said it's not luxurious I meant that compared to it's competition, Audi, BMW, Acura, Infinity it's at the bottom of the totum poll. Of course when you compare it to cars that aren't in it's class (Rob L's Geo) of course it's incredible. I'm simply putting the car in perspective for it's price class.

To follow futuregs a bit, he did say that he doubts that it will ride as nice. Of course we don't know, or at least I DON'T know. We will have to wait and see. Don't think I'm knocking the G35 at all. I think it will be a great car. I wish that it had come out a bit sooner so I could have compared it to the IS before I bought my car.
Old 01-17-02, 03:28 PM
MrIan
Lexus Test Driver

Well the G will have optional reclining rear seats...

But, i believe the G35 and the IS will match up pretty well.

G35 is more lux, but Infiniti never was top in performance.
IS has well rounded performance.

So wait till the G35's numbers come in.
Old 01-18-02, 12:41 PM
DROD2045
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Rob L

4 car reviewed the Skyline, the G35 in Japan. The IS isnt luxurious at all because the design isnt trying to be luxurious. it was meant to be 'race like'. How is hard black plastic and fake suede luxury? im not critizing the IS because its not trying to be something its not. Its aiming to be sporty which it is. Whether or not you have a UL does not make you more qualified than me. An ES300 is luxurious, an IS300 is not.

Quick Reply: SCREW the I35 WHAT ABOUT THE G35 as a threat!!!!!