Wr Ecu...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-01, 11:50 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wr Ecu...

Hi Guys,

I am usually over in the GS Forum but since WR has a kit for the IS I figured I would post my experiences with the new WR intake/ECU kit. I probably won't respond as much here as I would in the GS forum so if you have any questions, drop by the GS forum or drop my an e-mail! Besides, the GS guys always enjoy more company! Anyway, here is the post...

After some serious consideration. I decided to dive in and purchase the WR intake and ECU kit. After some of my previous experiences and other driver's experiences with different Intake/ECU combos I was definitely leary to try a different vendor but after some initial reviews and talking to a few different people I decided it was worth a shot...

The ECU on the GS is one finicky piece of electronic equipment. Any tuning of it takes some serious experience and know-how and guts to R&D and make sure it works. As evidence is the long arrival date of the Tom's ECU. Last I heard we are still waiting for it. With that being said, here are my initial thoughts and experiences with the WR piggyback ECU...

First of all, this ECU is really very very different from what's already out there. I know there is a lot of talk regarding using an Apex S-AFC and tune an intake with it. This WR ECU does more than modify the fuel maps. The throttle response is changed - WOT's and downshifts occur sooner in the pedal position. Before, I literally had to slam on the gas pedal to get any response. The tranny shifts are quicker/harder making it a much more agressive performance response. And, of course, the VERY distinguished HP difference. The butt-o-meter is flying off the handle! My car behaves very different than before and is much more agressive in performance. You get the added bonus of the fact that it can be retuned whenever a new mod is added (eg, exhaust, cam gears, dare we say...Supercharger/turbo???) to extract the most out of the ECU tuning. In addition, it's all hardcoded so I don't have to mess with buttons or play with it (ie, it's plug and play!) like an S-AFC.

Yes, it is an expensive mod but worth every penny! The ECU is a winner. You can call WR yourself and they will back their product 100%. I feel it's a definite must for those looking for more performance from the GS. I honestly, didn't know the GS was capable of such performance and some you know how much I have complained about how timid this V8 feels compared to other cars I have driven. Well, not any more! I now feel the missing torque that the Tundra has...

I am planning to dyno the car in the next month or so, so please be patient with my dyno results. If you want to see some dyno charts I believe they are posted on the WR website. From the charts they posted I don't have any doubt I will reach the same numbers and if you ask WR they feel the same way. So stay tuned...

Please no flames! I am not advertising anything - just posting my experiences!

Brent
Old 11-14-01, 01:41 PM
OCIS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope your dyno goes well. That's one expensive ECU!