IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

IS300 vs G35

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-04, 08:29 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
LMAO. The IS/ES and TL and I35/G35 tell us about Toyota/Honda/Nissan.

Lexus brought over a true sports sedan in the IS instead of trying to save money by making a sporty ES 330. Nissan tried that crap with the I30/I35 and got terrible results. SO they made the G35 a true sports sedan,
Honda is a small auto company and insists on efficiency so they stayed with an Accord platform. I think they have done wonders this time making the TL out of the Accord. But whereas the Toyota and Nissan has 2 different cars, Honda has to compromise with the TL.
Speaking of Acura, isn't it sad Honda thinks a 3.5 RL their so-called "premium flagship car" is enough to be considered in comparison to an LS430? LMAO.

Last edited by flipside909; 04-05-04 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-06-04, 06:57 PM
LexFather

Originally posted by flipside909
Speaking of Acura, isn't it sad Honda thinks a 3.5 RL their so-called "premium flagship car" is enough to be considered in comparison to an LS430? LMAO.
Until last year, their 3.5 liter V-6 made 210hp. It now makes 225hp.
As much as I like the IS300...just like you do..... the fact is, though, that the the new AWD G35 is one-upping it by offering a feature that Lexus should have offered by now for the IS and has not yet...All Wheel Drive
The IS I see similar to the 1st gen GS. A good car but just a lil off for the American market. Lexus has NEVER missed twice in a row.

My BOLD forecast. The next IS will have the option of the 4.3 liter V-8 from the bigger cars.
Old 04-08-04, 09:37 AM
navid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Test drove the G35 sedan and coupe and then drove the IS last. I'm a Toyota fanatic (3 Supras, 1 Corolla, 1 Tercel). The coupe and sedan are both powerful cars, but you can't compare the coupe to the IS - it seems a little unfair. Now sedan to sedan, the G35 had more power but the IS just handles better to me and a lot more fun to drive. Nissan's in general are not known for resale value but a good car nevertheless. I don't regret buying my IS at all. The shifting could be better in it (automatic) compared to the G35 but overall for the money I'll take my IS any day. if it's size then do as the other posting said get a GS4 - power, room, quality, resale value - the whole 9.

Just my two-cents
navid
'02 IS
Old 04-08-04, 10:26 AM
04TLjaTT
Driver School Candidate

Default 05 RL

05 RL 300hp SH-AWD and maybe hybrid...........
Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
Until last year, their 3.5 liter V-6 made 210hp. It now makes 225hp.

Old 04-08-04, 06:38 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by rominl
you better stay here and keep the discussions up! you are a very nice addtion to the forum!
thanks a lot rom
Old 04-08-04, 10:09 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Default Re: 05 RL

Originally posted by 04TLjaTT
05 RL 300hp SH-AWD and maybe hybrid...........
An RL will never match the caliber or presitge of an LS.
Old 04-10-04, 09:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally posted by navid
Test drove the G35 sedan and coupe and then drove the IS last. I'm a Toyota fanatic (3 Supras, 1 Corolla, 1 Tercel). The coupe and sedan are both powerful cars, but you can't compare the coupe to the IS - it seems a little unfair. Now sedan to sedan, the G35 had more power but the IS just handles better to me and a lot more fun to drive. Nissan's in general are not known for resale value but a good car nevertheless. I don't regret buying my IS at all. The shifting could be better in it (automatic) compared to the G35 but overall for the money I'll take my IS any day. if it's size then do as the other posting said get a GS4 - power, room, quality, resale value - the whole 9.

Just my two-cents
navid
'02 IS

Did you find the G35's interior to be a little on the cheap side? I have not been impressed with either the exterior or interior fit-and-finish on most new Nissan / Infiniti products. Unlike the IS300, The G35 does have hood struts and a nifty gauge panel that tilts with the steering wheel, but overall, the interior materials and the body paint are noticeably cheaper than on Lexus products.
Old 04-10-04, 10:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally posted by mmarshall
Did you find the G35's interior to be a little on the cheap side? I have not been impressed with either the exterior or interior fit-and-finish on most new Nissan / Infiniti products. Unlike the IS300, The G35 does have hood struts and a nifty gauge panel that tilts with the steering wheel, but overall, the interior materials and the body paint are noticeably cheaper than on Lexus products.
actually the g35c does NOT have hood struts as well

and i agree. internal wise, the g35c is still a bit on the cheap side. extrerior looks ok to me though
Old 04-10-04, 11:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by rominl
actually the g35c does NOT have hood struts as well

and i agree. internal wise, the g35c is still a bit on the cheap side. extrerior looks ok to me though
Maybe Infiniti made an assembly-line running change on the G35 lately?....as I remember, the one I test-drove some months ago did have gas struts for the hood....you didn't have to fumble with a prop rod.
Well, if you're right, that means Infiniti is cost-cutting even more. (Yes, I know...the IS also has a prop rod...that is one of its few faults).

Even though except for the engine, I don't particularly like the G35 in general, I'm really looking forward to the AWD G35X...that is going to be an excellent buy, crude finish or not. After our fine friend Chris Bangle gets done screwing up the next BMW 330AWD, THIS will be the car to look at......along with the AWD GS.
Old 04-10-04, 01:09 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Did you find the G35's interior to be a little on the cheap side?
All Nissans suffer from this unfortunately. Even exterior asthetics as well.
Old 04-10-04, 01:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by flipside909
All Nissans suffer from this unfortunately. Even exterior asthetics as well.
Yes, Nissan / Infiniti has done some noticible cost-cutting in this area of fit-and-finish. You can tell the difference between their previous-generation and the newer products. I think this is because of the corporate cost-cutting that was more or less forced on them when Renault ( and Chairman Ghosn) took over Nissan ownership. Renault...( trust me on this one )........is a company LONG known for cheapness in its products. They were forced out of the American market some 20 years ago due to poor quality. Fortunately, though, Nissan / Infiniti still make durable, reliable products even if they look a little cheap.
Old 04-10-04, 03:10 PM
navid
Driver School Candidate

The G35 sedan I drove was not put together all that well interior-wise but externally was pretty good. You can tell a difference though when you shut the door on a G35 and an IS. There is a difference from the from today's G35 sedan to the ones introduced a few years ago. The dash has been refined, in regards to quality that is. The G35 coupe received a lot of attention it seems when putting it together as compared to them putting the sedan together. I think they realized this and changed it for '04.

Still though, you just can't beat a Toyota/Lexus product. Take a look at the interior of an '02+ Corolla and you'll see how Toyota went through everything when putting that together. So just imagine the solidity of an IS ?

If anyone reading this discussion gets a chance, I recommend visiting a Toyota plant and visiting another automakers plant where they assemble their parts. You can hear a difference right from there. I did Toyota vs Honda and I was shocked. Not that there is anything wrong with Honda/Acura products by any mean but Toyota just.....WOW!! That's all I can say

navid
Old 04-10-04, 03:32 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default is300 vs g35

I went to test drive a g35 yesterday. I was planning on buying one next year ( I'm keeping my Lexus). Didn't get around to driving it. I think I frightened the salesman. I don't think he'e ever tried to sell to someone who is an auto enthusiast. I knew a lot about this and other cars. I commented that there was orange peel on the paint surface. Actually, all the cars in the showroom had orange peel. He asked, "what's orange peel?" I explained it to him and added that the low quality paint job was probably one on Nissan/Infiniti's cost cutting measures. I also pointed out the other cost cutted items I saw (low quality leather, plastic dash, etc...). He gave up trying to sell the car. Especially after telling him I own 2 Lexus cars.

Stick with the Lexus if that's your only car. I may still get the g35 but it will be a weekend driver. I'll have to rip up the interior to make it the way I like.
Old 04-11-04, 11:20 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Maybe Infiniti made an assembly-line running change on the G35 lately?....as I remember, the one I test-drove some months ago did have gas struts for the hood....you didn't have to fumble with a prop rod.
Well, if you're right, that means Infiniti is cost-cutting even more. (Yes, I know...the IS also has a prop rod...that is one of its few faults).

Even though except for the engine, I don't particularly like the G35 in general, I'm really looking forward to the AWD G35X...that is going to be an excellent buy, crude finish or not. After our fine friend Chris Bangle gets done screwing up the next BMW 330AWD, THIS will be the car to look at......along with the AWD GS.
nop, all g35c doesn't have struts. the sedan has. well, that's one of the "weight saving" things both the is3 and the g35c has. so if you think infiniti is cutting cost, same to lexus
Old 04-11-04, 11:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Default Re: is300 vs g35

Originally posted by reggiek
I went to test drive a g35 yesterday. I was planning on buying one next year ( I'm keeping my Lexus). Didn't get around to driving it. I think I frightened the salesman. I don't think he'e ever tried to sell to someone who is an auto enthusiast. I knew a lot about this and other cars. I commented that there was orange peel on the paint surface. Actually, all the cars in the showroom had orange peel. He asked, "what's orange peel?" I explained it to him and added that the low quality paint job was probably one on Nissan/Infiniti's cost cutting measures. I also pointed out the other cost cutted items I saw (low quality leather, plastic dash, etc...). He gave up trying to sell the car. Especially after telling him I own 2 Lexus cars.

Stick with the Lexus if that's your only car. I may still get the g35 but it will be a weekend driver. I'll have to rip up the interior to make it the way I like.
hey what's orange peel?

Quick Reply: IS300 vs G35