Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 6ES forum for discussion about shared components with other sixth generation ES models.

A new Camry hybrid or used or certified ES 300h?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-19, 04:35 PM
asc2000
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool A new Camry hybrid or used or certified ES 300h?

Is there anyone torn between the two when purchasing your ES 300h? What factors did you consider? A new Camry hybrid XLE costs about $32k (47 mpg) but LE starting about $28k (52 mpg), which is comparable to a 2016/2017 300h certified, depending on options.I test drove both but I can't determine as each bears its pros and cons. Both remain quite reliable. ES 300h clearly feels luxury and quieter but a fully loaded new Camry hybrid returns 47 mpg, which is attractive. I can't get a new ES 300h as my budget is limited to $25-30k. I expect to drive a lot (over 20k miles a year mostly highway 70-80%). Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 12-23-19, 05:53 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

You’re probably going to get better mpg in the camry, but there are other factors involved too. I average about 38 mpg in my es300h, but I have a lot of slow crawling in my long commute and actually run in electric mode about 20% of the time. I don’t get great mpg on the highway. Really, really pleased with the design and fit and finish of my 2013. The Camry will have a longer warranty being brand new. I also wouldn’t get caught up with getting a certified model since these things are ridiculously reliable. Bonus: hybrids have lower maintenance and parts replacement cost except for the actual hybrid battery.

Looks like the new camry actually has a four cylinder model that gets great mpg too.
Old 12-23-19, 06:14 PM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Can you even order a Camry Hybrid right now? where I live in Toronto, the CX-5 diesel, Rav4 hybrid, and NX300H all were on a several month waiting list. We ended up settling for a regular NX300.
Old 12-23-19, 06:24 PM
asc2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by Moisture
Can you even order a Camry Hybrid right now? where I live in Toronto, the CX-5 diesel, Rav4 hybrid, and NX300H all were on a several month waiting list. We ended up settling for a regular NX300.
yes, I see 3 dozen Camry hybrids at Koons Toyota here in nova.
Old 12-23-19, 06:27 PM
Moisture
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by asc2000
yes, I see 3 dozen Camry hybrids at Koons Toyota here in nova.
That is what I would go for then. I really love the Mazda 6, my dad has one and it is a fantastic car, but I would also prefer a hybrid, which leaves you with the Camry.
Old 12-23-19, 06:28 PM
asc2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by 12jimmyjam
You’re probably going to get better mpg in the camry, but there are other factors involved too. I average about 38 mpg in my es300h, but I have a lot of slow crawling in my long commute and actually run in electric mode about 20% of the time. I don’t get great mpg on the highway. Really, really pleased with the design and fit and finish of my 2013. The Camry will have a longer warranty being brand new. I also wouldn’t get caught up with getting a certified model since these things are ridiculously reliable. Bonus: hybrids have lower maintenance and parts replacement cost except for the actual hybrid battery.

Looks like the new camry actually has a four cylinder model that gets great mpg too.
thanks for the tips. You don’t get 38 mpg in high way? I am sure low mpg during cold winter but should be close to 35..
Old 12-23-19, 06:38 PM
Moisture
Lead Lap

If it's the non hybrid Camry, the way I see it, may as well go for the Mazda 6. I've been in a camry, driven an Accord 2.0T, and extensively driven my dad's Mazda 6 and all three are fantastic cars. My thoughts -

- All three feel similar, especially chassis wise
-I don't like the camry interior design. The exterior is fine, depending on the trim level.
-I want to say that the Honda Accord is the best out of the three, but it isn't, because of fuel dilution issues with the 1.5 and 2.0T. probably due to bad quality piston rings with 0w20 oil, a bad combination.

If the camry hybrid is out of the equation, for me, choosing between the three sure would be a tough one.
Old 12-23-19, 06:52 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

thanks for the tips. You don’t get 38 mpg in high way? I am sure low mpg during cold winter but should be close to 35..
Maybe if it’s low speed highway like under 65. I think I get around low 30s on the highway.

Side note I saw that you are in NOVA. I commute from WV to Alexandria which is about 86 miles roundtrip. I get some of my best mileage on route 7 during rush hour. It’s less when I take the toll highways or go through Maryland.
Old 12-23-19, 07:05 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 705 Likes on 515 Posts

Our winter mileage around town (in our 2015 ESh) averaged about 34, but about 37 mpg in the summer. Our summer highway mileage varied widely, from a worst tank of 33 mpg to a best last summer at 80 mph of 43 miles per gallon. I don’t think winter conditions will impact highway mileage as much as city mileage.
Old 12-23-19, 07:19 PM
asc2000
Rookie

Maybe if it’s low speed highway like under 65. I think I get around low 30s on the highway.

Side note I saw that you are in NOVA. I commute from WV to Alexandria which is about 86 miles roundtrip. I get some of my best mileage on route 7 during rush hour. It’s less when I take the toll highways or go through Maryland.
low 30s? That is low indeed. Yes I live in NOVA. Driving 86 miles daily? The speed limit on Rt. 7 is 55 mph and terrible traffic here with construction and during rush hours... Do you think it is not a good idea to get hybrid if I drive many highway mileages?
Old 12-23-19, 07:32 PM
asc2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by TechNut
Our winter mileage around town (in our 2015 ESh) averaged about 34, but about 37 mpg in the summer. Our summer highway mileage varied widely, from a worst tank of 33 mpg to a best last summer at 80 mph of 43 miles per gallon. I don’t think winter conditions will impact highway mileage as much as city mileage.
I agree there is a great variation. Only looking at mpg, then non- hybrid Camry xle or xse would be a better choice. They both deliver 39 mpg highway.
Old 12-23-19, 07:58 PM
st1800
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Which car do you like better, comfort, ride, etc.? A few dollars on gas won’t make a big difference, unless you’re contemplating a Prius. Think of the time you’ll be spending in a vehicle. Lexus FTW.
Old 12-23-19, 09:53 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

low 30s? That is low indeed. Yes I live in NOVA. Driving 86 miles daily? The speed limit on Rt. 7 is 55 mph and terrible traffic here with construction and during rush hours... Do you think it is not a good idea to get hybrid if I drive many highway mileages?
it just depends on what type of highway traffic. Traffic that moves is really different.

What sold me on the hybrid was sitting down and calculating the gas savings on it vs. the v6. For me it was a ton! I wouldn’t recommend my car for people that drive very few miles or travel mostly open highways.
Old 12-24-19, 05:48 AM
asc2000
Rookie

Originally Posted by st1800
Which car do you like better, comfort, ride, etc.? A few dollars on gas won’t make a big difference, unless you’re contemplating a Prius. Think of the time you’ll be spending in a vehicle. Lexus FTW.
I agree. Yes, 300h wins for great comfort and ride. I am not contemplating Prius as it would not be as comfortable for a long distance driving (I may be biased, though, because I never drove a Prius before).
Old 12-24-19, 05:55 AM
asc2000
Rookie

it just depends on what type of highway traffic. Traffic that moves is really different.

What sold me on the hybrid was sitting down and calculating the gas savings on it vs. the v6. For me it was a ton! I wouldn’t recommend my car for people that drive very few miles or travel mostly open highways.
Got it. Thanks for sharing your insights.

Quick Reply: A new Camry hybrid or used or certified ES 300h?