Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Improving the RX Hybrid - What's on your wishlist?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-17, 10:51 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by F250
OK, this question has been asked in a Gen3 forum, so I don't know if the Gen4's have already addressed any of the issues below, but some (appearance) I KNOW have not yet been addressed.

1. Better driver side seat cushion quality (thickness, weight distribution, etc.)
2. Truly cooled (air conditioned) seats (as opposed to blowers moving ambient air only)
3. Better managed braking system in conjunction with the regen braking operation (until warmed up, stops are quite jerky, at least in mine).
4. Better appearance... slightly boxier shape (I don't like the "egg" look of the older models nor do I like the "razor edge" look of the latest model), more modest front grill (the new one is horrendous looking).
5. Non-disk based Nav system... something which can receive updated maps from Google, etc. via home network Bluetooth or Wifi connection.
This! 100%
Old 08-01-17, 02:08 PM
iginoc
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was dreaming of an hybrid 450h RX featured as follows:

- a robust slimming diet - at least 300 lbs gross weight reduction, obtainable with large use of alloy for the body
- a plugin system w/ 8,5 kW Li-Ion traction battery (the same of Toyota Prius Prime).
- a solar roof (again, the one of EU Prius Prime)
- heat pump air conditioning (I know, the Prius Prime has one)
- LED matrix adaptive high beam ( I begin to feel ripetitive: the EU Prius Prime have them )

Well, a month ago I stopped dreaming and ordered a Toyota Prius Prime... but still love to drive my RX.
Old 08-21-17, 07:50 AM
tdott
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by iginoc
What's the advantage of a heat pump AC?
For me the RXh has pretty good AC.
Old 08-23-17, 12:39 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by iginoc
Holy Hyper-Complication, Batman!

We already need an electrical engineer to diagnose and repair (as opposed to guess-and-replace) the drivetrain; and you're pining for an HVAC unit that will surely result in an explosion in VoTec schools just to avoid sending us all searching for Southern climates?!?

In the not-to-distant past, it was the German car makers who designed-in a relay and a failure sensor whereas the Japanese merely designed and properly QC'd a capable switch to control a circuit - and now this?!?

Perhaps they are as confidant as Al Gore that we're more likely to need A/C than the Heater in upcoming winters.
The following users liked this post:
vlad_a (08-23-17)
Old 03-21-18, 04:48 AM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

On top of what everyone else has said, I would like:

1. Brighter reversing lights
2. Durable leather seats - the Aniline leather looks so shabby so quickly
3. A coin holder that doesn't make so much noise when coins are put into the slot.
4. Sunglass holder
5. Headlight height adjustment controls
6. Exhaust droning to be eliminated at usual suburban driving speeds
7. Illuminated overhead console buttons
8. Rear fog lights that cannot be inadvertantly left on all the time.
8. Touch sensitive door handles for the rear doors, not just the front doors
9. Grab handles that pull out further from the roof lining
10. Power point for 2nd row seats
11. Driver's mat that covers the foot rest
12. Storage space for the retractable cargo blind.
13. Thicker steering wheel grip
14. Ability to select memory preset seating positions whilst driving

I praise Lexus for:

a. Plenty of lighting in the cargo bay area
b. No loss of usable cargo space by putting hybrid batteries under the 2nd row seats
c. No need to slam tailgate and the pull shut mechanism
d. Decent radio reception
e. Bottom of doors are covered so no dirty trousers when getting out of the vehicle
f. Flat 2nd row floor
g. Soft padding on interior door handles and center console arm rest
h. Super deep center console storage
i. Mark Levinson sound system's superb bass response

Last edited by tempestv8; 03-21-18 at 04:52 AM.
Old 03-26-18, 03:54 AM
gadiehl
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First, I'll admit my RX450h is a 2013 and so some of these things may have been improved since then. But having said that, my list would include:

- A TPMS system that tells you WHICH tire is low.
- A defroster that directs more of the warm air to the driver's side rather than to the middle
- Tighter window seals so that lowering & raising the window clears the dew off the window
- I wish the Nav system didn't disable itself when the car is moving but I don't think that this is Lexus unique
- A better standard sound system. Mine didn't have the ML sound system and the standard sound system is disappointing for a premium car. Acura's was much better.
- A less annoying passenger side seat belt warning. I'm barely down the driveway when the thing starts beeping. Give my wife a few hundred feet to get buckled in.
- Give up on the rain sensing wipers. Mine either go too fast or not fast enough
- The center console compartment is pretty useless. Too narrow & too deep to be able to find anything. The little top shelf is handy for a few things
Old 05-19-18, 04:24 PM
mkhart
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wish list (Regret list)

Five months into ownership of my 2017 RX450h, my wish list for improvements to the RX:
-Less noisy heating/cooling fan. It's verrrry annoyingly noisy at higher settings, including the heating/cooling in the seats at the high setting! Never had this with my ES models.
-Comfortable back seating for the middle (5th) passenger position. Boy, that middle hump and and the backrest (consisting of the fold-down cup holder/armrest) is the most uncomfortable thing I've sat in!!) What were you thinking, Lexus?? My RX is pretty much a 4-passenger vehicle. My ES models didn't have this issue.
-More responsive 'touch' controls for locks. I almost always have to touch the doors 2 and 3 times to get the doors locked. The hatch door rarely opens when I use the hover method over the Lexus emblem. I didn't have this problem with my ES door locks.
-Air conditioning control buttons somewhere in the dash! Hellooooo!
Which brings me to my final wish (for now). How about ditching the Lexus GS model and giving us an AWD version of the ES? I would have bought the ES rather than the RX if they made one!

Last edited by mkhart; 05-19-18 at 04:29 PM.