Premium gas for 2016 RX 450h? - Page 3 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premium gas for 2016 RX 450h?

Old 02-23-18, 10:06 PM
Elation
Driver

Originally Posted by jonmanch View Post
I have a RX450h and use 87 octane with no problem. The salesman told me that I could use 87 as that is what the dealer gives you when you pick up the car with a full tank, and the dealer only puts 87 in all of their demo and loaner cars. Have not had any lack of engine performance or noise.
The GS, GX, IS, LC, LS, NX300, RC, RX 450H REQUIRE Premium fuel.
87 is not an option.
Hopefully your salesman is mistaken.
Old 02-24-18, 12:21 AM
GSFRX350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Elation View Post
The GS, GX, IS, LC, LS, NX300, RC, RX 450H REQUIRE Premium fuel.
87 is not an option.
Hopefully your salesman is mistaken.
That's what the book says, why would they say premium if it's not required?
Attached Thumbnails Premium gas for 2016 RX 450h?-screenshot.jpg  
Old 03-01-18, 09:29 AM
AkiD
Rookie

Thumbs up Here's something Interesting - re: 87 vs 91 octane

So, I decided to try 87 octane (from Costco as well as from Shell), and compare it with Costco 91 and Shell 91 octane fuel.

Since moving to 87, I have *better* mpg than with Premium! Performance seems about the same but mpg is definitely up.

Any brand of 91 octane, I averaged 27mpg. With 87 octane, I'm consistently getting 29.5 - 30mpg.

Weird. I would of expected the exact opposite.

-aki
Old 03-01-18, 09:46 AM
Hubs
Driver

Originally Posted by AkiD View Post
So, I decided to try 87 octane (from Costco as well as from Shell), and compare it with Costco 91 and Shell 91 octane fuel.

Since moving to 87, I have *better* mpg than with Premium! Performance seems about the same but mpg is definitely up.

Any brand of 91 octane, I averaged 27mpg. With 87 octane, I'm consistently getting 29.5 - 30mpg.

Weird. I would of expected the exact opposite.

-aki
Your mileage is outstanding. Do you have the hybrid?

I saw and felt improvements when I compared premium vs regular as well.
Old 03-01-18, 10:09 AM
AkiD
Rookie

Originally Posted by Hubs View Post
Your mileage is outstanding. Do you have the hybrid?

I saw and felt improvements when I compared premium vs regular as well.
Yes, the '17 450h. Sorry, forgot to mention that. Also, I've discovered that ECO mode is good for, at most 2/10ths mpg better than Regular mode and the difference between Regular and Sport is about 2/10 (with sport being 2/10 mpg less than Regular).

I just went over 5k on the odo.

For that little of a difference, I'm finding myself using sport mode a lot more. LOL
Old 01-05-19, 04:04 PM
riredale
Lead Lap

Resurrecting this thread to mention that I saw an ad for a Lexus in a magazine the other day (sports car, not RX, but that's all I recall). The text mentioned horsepower and had an asterisk. Then, at the bottom, in tiny print, they said something like, "...quoted HP while using fuel with RON of 91..."

In other words, engine would be happy on regular gas, but you'd lose a bit of horsepower.
Old 01-05-19, 05:11 PM
GSFRX350
Pole Position

Originally Posted by riredale View Post
Resurrecting this thread to mention that I saw an ad for a Lexus in a magazine the other day (sports car, not RX, but that's all I recall). The text mentioned horsepower and had an asterisk. Then, at the bottom, in tiny print, they said something like, "...quoted HP while using fuel with RON of 91..."

In other words, engine would be happy on regular gas, but you'd lose a bit of horsepower.
Yes the handbook states 91 as the minimum.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Premium gas for 2016 RX 450h?

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: