Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

RX450h Mileage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-17, 06:26 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Greg, the daily commute is about 12 miles round trip, all city driving at or below 40 MPH. Half of it consists of hills. On the weekends, sometimes I'll do a bit more driving. It's less than 100 miles a week. Infrequent road trips bump it up above that. At 13 months. I have 6,000 om the odometer and am averaging 28+ MPG. Mornings are still on the cool side. The heated seats are turning on, one dot. The mileage will go up a few MPGs soon. There is one disadvantage with the infrequent gas station trips, losing out on the credit card incentives for using the card and/or at a gas station
i live less than 3 miles from my office, but still put on 300+ miles a week visiting customers in Jacksonville. Do not know if you ever visited Jacksonville but it is spread out like a bomb hit it! Geographically one of the largest cities in the country. In the RX I fill up once a week where the LX would require two times, sometimes three to get to the weekend. 15gallons for the RX and 20 gallons for the LX. 😭

Am enjoying the driving the RX so much the poor LX sits in the garage. Even on the weekend we went to Amelia Island and the RX was the one we took. Love my LX but it seems to be overkill at times. The steering on the LX is a workout compared to the RX.

Have a a good Sunday.
Old 06-18-17, 06:27 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kitlz
Greg, the daily commute is about 12 miles round trip, all city driving at or below 40 MPH. Half of it consists of hills. On the weekends, sometimes I'll do a bit more driving. It's less than 100 miles a week. Infrequent road trips bump it up above that. At 13 months. I have 6,000 om the odometer and am averaging 28+ MPG. Mornings are still on the cool side. The heated seats are turning on, one dot. The mileage will go up a few MPGs soon. There is one disadvantage with the infrequent gas station trips, losing out on the credit card incentives for using the card and/or at a gas station
i live less than 3 miles from my office, but still put on 300+ miles a week visiting customers in Jacksonville. Do not know if you ever visited Jacksonville but it is spread out like a bomb hit it! Geographically one of the largest cities in the country. In the RX I fill up once a week where the LX would require two times, sometimes three to get to the weekend. 15gallons for the RX and 20 gallons for the LX. 😭

Am enjoying the driving the RX so much the poor LX sits in the garage. Even on the weekend we went to Amelia Island and the RX was the one we took. Love my LX but it seems to be overkill at times. The steering on the LX is a workout compared to the RX.

Have a good Sunday.
Old 08-07-17, 11:29 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

I've become somewhat disappointed with my 16 RX 450h mileage. My Tundra gradually increased as I put more miles on, but this car has not done that. I guess it's still not too bad for an SUV, but it's nowhere near the sticker claims. In mixed city driving I'm only getting about 22 mpg, no matter what grade fuel I put in or what mode I drive in. I was able to hit near 25 mpg highway over the weekend, but that's still not what I think I should be getting. The whole point of the hybrid system is to save fuel & for the difference in price between the 350 & the 450h, it's hard to see the point of the hybrid. Even the dealer told me I would be an extraordinary case if I could hit 30 mpg. I would really like to see the EPA start releasing accurate fuel mileage ratings or don't do it at all. Some silly test on a dyno is not a real world expectation. This is much like the small diesel fiasco where manufacturers are claiming high fuel mileage, but due to EPA requirements, the engines fail or suffer & never deliver anywhere near claimed fuel economy. So, currently I'm getting 22 mpg city & 24 mpg highway on regular, mid grade & premium fuels - no notable differences.
Old 08-07-17, 12:53 PM
Old300
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
I've become somewhat disappointed with my 16 RX 450h mileage. My Tundra gradually increased as I put more miles on, but this car has not done that. I guess it's still not too bad for an SUV, but it's nowhere near the sticker claims. In mixed city driving I'm only getting about 22 mpg, no matter what grade fuel I put in or what mode I drive in. I was able to hit near 25 mpg highway over the weekend, but that's still not what I think I should be getting. The whole point of the hybrid system is to save fuel & for the difference in price between the 350 & the 450h, it's hard to see the point of the hybrid. Even the dealer told me I would be an extraordinary case if I could hit 30 mpg. I would really like to see the EPA start releasing accurate fuel mileage ratings or don't do it at all. Some silly test on a dyno is not a real world expectation. This is much like the small diesel fiasco where manufacturers are claiming high fuel mileage, but due to EPA requirements, the engines fail or suffer & never deliver anywhere near claimed fuel economy. So, currently I'm getting 22 mpg city & 24 mpg highway on regular, mid grade & premium fuels - no notable differences.
I've had my 2016 RX450h F Sport for 13 months now and am at 14,700 miles. I live in Oregon where all the fuel is E10 (10% ethanol). My driving is mostly 45 mph and less, and I always use premium, normally from Costco, but the last several tank-fulls from Shell (V Power Nitro). I drive very non-aggressivly with my right foot, and am sure many (if not most) would consider me a hyper-miler. I do enjoy recovering my battery charge during regenerative braking! My last 4 tank fulls have ranged between 31.3 and 32.9 mpg. I can't say I've seen any noticeable difference using the Shell V Power Nitro. During the Winter months, my mileage dipped to 26.9 a couple times and averaged over 28 between December 2016 and May. Our 2010 Prius suffers a similar mileage downturn during the Winter. My best mpg was 33.2 last September.

Are you in an area where the ethanol percentage is much higher than the 10% here in Oregon? Ethanol may reduce emissions, but my understanding is it has less energy than gasoline and as a result, mileage suffers as the percentage of ethanol increases.
Old 08-07-17, 12:54 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by Htony
If one wishes to save fuel on hybrid like 450h, there is a need to change on driving habit. Sticker figures are done on best driving conditions on sea level. In real life it is almost impossible to get that numbers. I drive '15 450h as well, Coming down from Bimmer X5, had to relearn the driving. In cold winter I get 9 liter/100km, in the summer like now, I can get upto 6 liter/100km. Any how I don't pay much attention on fuel consumption.
So, for us Americans, that's about 26 mpg, right? That's pretty good. What did your X5 get & what did you change in your driving habits? The dealer told me several times to drive it like I would any other car, but that seems counterproductive - I could be completely wrong on that...
Old 08-07-17, 01:56 PM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

you are doing something wrong. Mixed highway and city driving is giving me around 30mpg every day use nothing but regular. I got two and they both are getting similar results. If you are driving a constant 65mph and you are only getting 22mpg, you need to get Lexus to fix it. I get 29-31mpg under the same conditions.

You must be driving like a crazy person or there is something wrong with your 450h. You need to have a conversation with your right foot!

Last edited by ggebhardt; 08-08-17 at 02:19 AM.
Old 08-07-17, 02:53 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
you are doing something wrong. Mixed highway and city driving is giving me around 30mpg every Dayana I use nothing but regular. I got two and they both are getting similar results. If you are driving a constant 65mph and you are only getting 22mpg, you need to get Lexus to fix it. I get 29-31mpg under the same conditions.

You must be driving like a crazy person or there is something wrong with your 450h. You need to have a conversation with your right foot!
No crazy driving for me. We are about 1500 ft above sea level & ALL gasoline has 10% ethanol - there's no option against ethanol here. Our highway speed limits are 65 mph in the city freeways & 75 mph outside of the city. City streets are mostly 30-35 mph with some multi lane main streets at 40-45 mph (not many of those). Frankly, I think something is wrong. I posted on another thread that my hybrid battery doesn't seem to last long & it's rare to be able to do anything under battery power without the engine coming on. I'm not sold on this hybrid system being bulletproof.
Old 08-08-17, 02:18 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

No crazy driving for me. We are about 1500 ft above sea level & ALL gasoline has 10% ethanol - there's no option against ethanol here. Our highway speed limits are 65 mph in the city freeways & 75 mph outside of the city. City streets are mostly 30-35 mph with some multi lane main streets at 40-45 mph (not many of those). Frankly, I think something is wrong. I posted on another thread that my hybrid battery doesn't seem to last long & it's rare to be able to do anything under battery power without the engine coming on. I'm not sold on this hybrid system being bulletproof.
if if you are on a somewhat level highway and you put you RX on cruise at around 60-65mph and reset the mpg gauge, what mileage do you get. If it is not 28-30mpg then you have a problem. The battery is only to assist at lower speeds and stop and go traffic. It does nothing at highway speeds unless you floor it.

You previous car wash incident was due to you vehicle being left in neutral for an extended amount of time.

If in doubt, take it to the dealer and they can check it out.
Old 08-08-17, 04:48 AM
raytheagle
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=gadgetman1;9947729]I've become somewhat disappointed with my 16 RX 450h mileage. My Tundra gradually increased as I put more miles on, but this car has not done that. I guess it's still not too bad for an SUV, but it's nowhere near the sticker claims. In mixed city driving I'm only getting about 22 mpg, no matter what grade fuel I put in or what mode I drive in. I was able to hit near 25 mpg highway over the weekend, but that's still not what I think I should be getting. The whole point of the hybrid system is to save fuel & for the difference in price between the 350 & the 450h, it's hard to see the point of the hybrid. Even the dealer told me I would be an extraordinary case if I could hit 30 mpg. I would really like to see the EPA start releasing accurate fuel mileage ratings or don't do it at all. Some silly test on a dyno is not a real world expectation. This is much like the small diesel fiasco where manufacturers are claiming high fuel mileage, but due to EPA requirements, the engines fail or suffer & never deliver anywhere near claimed fuel economy. So, currently I'm getting 22 mpg city & 24 mpg highway on regular, mid grade & premium fuels - no notable differences.[/QUOTE

Heres what I was able to do with our 2017 RX450h on my 78 mile commute:

My usual ride is a Prius, which we have had for 8 years.

Not it too bad for hauling around ~5000 pounds. Not sure what is up with your RX450h, but having the traction battery run down probably wasn't good for it.

Last edited by raytheagle; 08-08-17 at 04:55 AM.
Old 08-08-17, 04:23 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by ggebhardt
if if you are on a somewhat level highway and you put you RX on cruise at around 60-65mph and reset the mpg gauge, what mileage do you get. If it is not 28-30mpg then you have a problem. The battery is only to assist at lower speeds and stop and go traffic. It does nothing at highway speeds unless you floor it.

You previous car wash incident was due to you vehicle being left in neutral for an extended amount of time.

If in doubt, take it to the dealer and they can check it out.
I did your test today just to see what I would get. I drove across town at about 60 mph in heavy traffic, followed by some streets at 45 & 35 mph. I am surprised at getting 34.3 mpg. This tells me my hybrid drive may not be working correctly since my highway fuel mileage seems very good.

Old 08-08-17, 10:21 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

I did your test today just to see what I would get. I drove across town at about 60 mph in heavy traffic, followed by some streets at 45 & 35 mph. I am surprised at getting 34.3 mpg. This tells me my hybrid drive may not be working correctly since my highway fuel mileage seems very good.
Check a few prius forums to learn how to gas and glide (getting up to speed and then electric). It could be your driving habits. Things like hills and outdoor air temperature will affect MPG greatly too. Also if you're not sticking with premium for over a few tanks, you're probably not getting the benefits of premium gas.
Old 08-09-17, 01:45 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

I am still betting that you need to have a serious conversation with your right foot while in traffic and on the hybrid battery. Driving just slightly aggressively will greatly increase gas consumption.

Take it to the dealer and have them check it out.

Last edited by ggebhardt; 08-09-17 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-13-17, 08:07 PM
shric
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus info screens are lacking in their usefulness. I feel that the information should track how many miles since last reset along with MPG since last reset. Another suggestion for . Lexus/Toyota (since I have owned several Priuses) - bar graphs should track MPG over last miles instead of minutes. That is useless in terms of MPG as one could be sitting at idle for last 10 minutes, in which case MPG is meaningless. Also the graph indicator scale should be limited to 40 MPG instead of 60 MPG to allow for finer and more accurate reading.
Old 08-15-17, 01:09 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by shric
Lexus info screens are lacking in their usefulness. I feel that the information should track how many miles since last reset along with MPG since last reset. Another suggestion for . Lexus/Toyota (since I have owned several Priuses) - bar graphs should track MPG over last miles instead of minutes. That is useless in terms of MPG as one could be sitting at idle for last 10 minutes, in which case MPG is meaningless. Also the graph indicator scale should be limited to 40 MPG instead of 60 MPG to allow for finer and more accurate reading.
I believe the 450h can provide 3 MPG values:
  1. MPG since last reset (if you never reset it then the average MPG you see could be since you got the vehicle)
  2. MPG since last refill
  3. Best "interval" MPG (interval being each time you click Update). This one is your best ever achieved MPG.
I have reconfigured the screens in the driver information area so that the "main" screen shows miles to empty (range) and MPG after refill. I update the charts monthly, typically at the first of each month. That way I get about a 6 months worth of results on the chart. I do agree the graph Y axis should be 40 not 60. I can barely see any difference month-to-month because they are mostly 29-32.

The "interval" I mention in #3 above is a period time representing each click of the Update button (Setup / Fuel Consumption / Past Record). As I said, I update (and reset) MPG around the first of each month. So my best-ever MPG month shows 31.9. My typical average per refill is typically between 31 and 32. This is my 3rd Rx hybrid and I can say I cringe now when I drive with my wife because she does not take advantage of coasting. I know other people who keep their foot on the gas until they're ready to hit the brake. I'm not sure I'm a hyper-miler but it has changed my driving habits. I look ahead more and release the gas pedal if I see a slow down. When I turn into my neighborhood I hit the EV button since I'm not driving over 30 MPH. If there is lots of traffic on city streets I sometimes use EV mode until I hit 35 MPH. Every little bit helps.
Old 09-13-17, 07:36 AM
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got off a 4850 mile trip. Started in So Cal, up the 15 and on to Denver. North from there into Wyoming and Yellowstone. Up to Seattle wandering around. From Seattle down the coast and then back to So Cal. Used Regular gas. sometimes only 85 octane in some of the mountain states. Mileage for the entire trip was 29.2. Best tank was 33.8.

Quick Reply: RX450h Mileage Thread