Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

RX450h Mileage Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-18, 01:08 PM
garyclee
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gadgetman1
Are you on Oahu? I think you found the perfect spot for the best mpg I’ve ever heard! If you are on Oahu, I can see how you are getting that mileage. I think my issue here in TX is we drive much faster because it’s wide open & we have wind that is often a negativen factor.
Yes, I am on Oahu, in Honolulu. Our freeway speed limits are 45/50 so I’m usually doing 55-60on the freeway (typical following speed). Also, My trips are typically really short, under 6 miles.
Old 01-10-18, 09:29 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Off topic posts regarding insurance have been deleted. Feel free to open another thread to discuss it and keep this one about mileage. Thank you.
Old 02-02-18, 03:36 AM
North
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up my(new to me) 2013 RX 450h last week, I am still new to the hybrid tech but looks like I'm getting around 27.7 mpg. I will need to learn all the tricks of the trade. I do love this car though! Tim
Old 02-03-18, 06:07 PM
ukrkoz
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 201 Posts

I don’t know why there is a difference in mileage between the Lexus & Toyota. I think you are getting pretty good fuel mileage, compared to me. When TX got that artic blast & the daytime temps were around 10 - 20 degrees, my fuel mileage dropped to 20 mpg. It’s rare that I ever get better than 26 mpg with any kind of gas (tried them all & no difference). A typical average is between 22 - 24 mpg. It’s relatively flat here, with some slight rolling hills & 1500 ft of elevation. Our speed limits are mostly 70 & 75 mph & some parts of I-10 are 80 mph.
There is. And I am driving in VERY unfriendly for good mpg terrain. Hills and hills.
Yet, here you go. I also have pic on my cell of 46.7 mpg average after 25 mile trip from Federal Way to downtown Seattle. I have no idea how, but it did.
Attached Thumbnails RX450h Mileage Thread-capture.png  
Old 02-14-18, 05:32 PM
LeonidE
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

13.5 L/100km
cold weather and short trips (~5km)
Old 03-12-18, 03:40 PM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Talking about disconnecting the alternator, there doesn't seem to be one in the Toyota hybrids. So it makes me wonder - where does the ignition get its power source to operate the ignition coils when the ICE is running? I am presuming the transaxle which generates power to recharge the traction battery and also drive the electric motor(s) is also the source of providing 12 volt charging power to replenish the 12 volt battery located under the cargo bay floor.
Old 04-17-18, 11:48 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

I am pleased to say that I just cracked 30 mpg highway! First time in 18,000 miles! I made a 160 mile round trip in the wind. On the way, I had a 30 mph slightly cross head wind & coming home, I had a 40 mph slightly cross tail wind.

Has anyone noticed if the brand of gas matters? I don’t have too many Shell stations, but I filled up with Shell 87. I had 91 already in the tank. I can’t seem to get a consistent reading for whatever reason. One time I get 22 mpg, another I get 24 mpg & once in a while I get 26 mpg.

Old 04-23-18, 08:03 AM
mkhart
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am still waiting to top 28 or 29 MPG on the highway. Did you get your 30 MPG while running in the Sport mode? If so, WOW!

As far as types/brands of gasoline quality, yes, it does make a difference in mileage. There are different additives in some brands. I used to get my gas at Fred Meyer (discount with my rewards card), but found that my mileage was suffering. I've noticed better mileage with Conoco and Exxon. (Maybe I will have to try Shell)

Not sure that running 91 quality in my RX is worth it for the extra mileage since it costs more. I do know that most Conoco premium gas doesn't contain ethanol, which would get you better gas mileage, but the RX isn't meant to run on premium. Thoughts??
Old 04-23-18, 09:22 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by mkhart
I am still waiting to top 28 or 29 MPG on the highway. Did you get your 30 MPG while running in the Sport mode? If so, WOW!

As far as types/brands of gasoline quality, yes, it does make a difference in mileage. There are different additives in some brands. I used to get my gas at Fred Meyer (discount with my rewards card), but found that my mileage was suffering. I've noticed better mileage with Conoco and Exxon. (Maybe I will have to try Shell)

Not sure that running 91 quality in my RX is worth it for the extra mileage since it costs more. I do know that most Conoco premium gas doesn't contain ethanol, which would get you better gas mileage, but the RX isn't meant to run on premium. Thoughts??
The RX 450h has a sticker by the gas cap stating it should have premium fuel. I’m not sure about the fuel requirements for the RX 350. EVERY brand here has ethanol. We only have a few She’ll stations that are at least $.10 a gallon higher than everyone else. There are a few Chevron stations & zero Conaco, Exxon or Mobile stations.
Old 04-29-18, 04:53 AM
quidmaker
5th Gear

Cool New (2018) RX450h F-Sport Gas Mileage

Hi everyone!
I'm a proud new Lexus owner with a Maxed out (Except panoramic roof, but with the moon roof!) AWD RX450h F-Sport. I just took my car in for the first oil change (received the car last month to the day. I'm getting anywhere from 28-33 MPG (I filled up 2 times already about at not even using 1/4 tank, just to check the mileage. Two weekends ago, I took the car to the mountains, stayed the night, and came home hitting a butt ton of traffic on the way. each way was less than 100 miles but on that trip, I got 41 miles to the gallon! I haven't been on a long road trip yet but will be at the end of May to get a more accurate MPG. Here in town, going to work every day, I'm right at 29.4 MPG and I do not treat the car like a baby. maybe I should?
Anywho, I just replaced the original wheels and tires with a 255/50/20 Michelin Premier LTX tire from the stock Dunlop 235/55/20. the people who swapped out my tires recommended 270Kpa (about 39 PSI) due to the size of my car/weight. My question is, does anyone have the same tire and config that I have now, and what PSI are you running, with how is your RX handling it?
Old 04-29-18, 05:58 AM
Cocal
Racer

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by quidmaker
Hi everyone!
I'm a proud new Lexus owner with a Maxed out (Except panoramic roof, but with the moon roof!) AWD RX450h F-Sport. I just took my car in for the first oil change (received the car last month to the day. I'm getting anywhere from 28-33 MPG (I filled up 2 times already about at not even using 1/4 tank, just to check the mileage. Two weekends ago, I took the car to the mountains, stayed the night, and came home hitting a butt ton of traffic on the way. each way was less than 100 miles but on that trip, I got 41 miles to the gallon! I haven't been on a long road trip yet but will be at the end of May to get a more accurate MPG. Here in town, going to work every day, I'm right at 29.4 MPG and I do not treat the car like a baby. maybe I should?
Anywho, I just replaced the original wheels and tires with a 255/50/20 Michelin Premier LTX tire from the stock Dunlop 235/55/20. the people who swapped out my tires recommended 270Kpa (about 39 PSI) due to the size of my car/weight. My question is, does anyone have the same tire and config that I have now, and what PSI are you running, with how is your RX handling it?
I'm running 33 PSI all round with the same tires. I think 39 is too much and the ride would suffer, but you are the best judge of that,
Old 04-29-18, 02:00 PM
garyclee
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My dealer says to keep it between 33-36 PSI, and I have the F Sport model as well. It was at 35 when delivered, and mine had the premier LTX tires from the factory (not sure about the exact sizes though)
Old 04-30-18, 09:18 AM
mkhart
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The RX 450h has a sticker by the gas cap stating it should have premium fuel. I’m not sure about the fuel requirements for the RX 350. EVERY brand here has ethanol. We only have a few She’ll stations that are at least $.10 a gallon higher than everyone else. There are a few Chevron stations & zero Conaco, Exxon or Mobile stations.
Well, well! I checked inside my fuel door and it says premium grade fuel! My Lexus dealer told me the 2017 RX 450h used regular and I believed him. I didn't doubt him since my 2013 ES300h ran on regular.

I've read a couple of blogs where people are using premium now and then, but mostly use regular. I'm probably going to do some switching back and forth also, especially with Conoco gas, which has no ethanol. I have noticed, though, that our Conoco stations are becoming few and far between in my area.
Old 04-30-18, 11:30 AM
gadgetman1
Racer

Originally Posted by mkhart
Well, well! I checked inside my fuel door and it says premium grade fuel! My Lexus dealer told me the 2017 RX 450h used regular and I believed him. I didn't doubt him since my 2013 ES300h ran on regular.

I've read a couple of blogs where people are using premium now and then, but mostly use regular. I'm probably going to do some switching back and forth also, especially with Conoco gas, which has no ethanol. I have noticed, though, that our Conoco stations are becoming few and far between in my area.
I primarily use regular fuel in my 450h & also did so in my Acura. I saw a tiny bit of difference in the performance in the Acura with premium fuel, but not enough to warrant the cost difference. Consumer Reports did a story on running regular fuel in a vehicle marked for premium. They determined it was not harmful, but you will loose a little performance. I haven’t noticed any difference in the 450h - NONE.
Old 05-23-18, 08:42 PM
Caligirl06
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Oldfart
One way to settle this is switch the cars for a month with your dad and see. 80% of MPG depend on commute and the rest is on driver.

For my commute on Rx350 I was getting 16MPG with Rx450 I am getting 24 for same commute. I live in Orange county and last weekend went to San Diego and a few days later went to LA with commute change my MPG went up to 29.
I'm a new 2018 RXL 450h owner and love everything about it but... the gas mileage is nothing close to what I was expecting or seeing others post, until your note. I'm in San Francisco and am averaging about 25 MPG. I'm trying so hard to drive in the 'ECO' zone, I'm using premium gas (per my dealers recommendation as the hybrid part of the engine requires it), I even tried turning off the AC to see if it made a difference. The only thing I can think of is that CA has reformulated gas and it's effecting our gas mileage.

Quick Reply: RX450h Mileage Thread