Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Why did you choose a RX Hybrid?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-14, 08:00 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

We wanted the new RX450h so bad when it first came out that we had it shipped from California (July 2009) to our hotel in Arkansas. Baum stadium (University of Arkansas baseball) is in the background across the street. The dealers in Tulsa, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, Memphis, Shreveport, Dallas and St. Louis all couldn't come up with one for us at the time, as the early release 450h was almost impossible to get without having a preorder. We chose the RX450h as the perfect companion to start our retirement travel. We have since traded in the 2010 for our current 2013 back in July 2012, and both have been perfect for all our many miles of retirement travel, without a single problem.

Why did you choose a RX Hybrid?-p1010067.jpg

Why did you choose a RX Hybrid?-p1010075.jpg

Last edited by go3Ds; 04-02-14 at 08:13 PM. Reason: word deletion below photo
Old 04-03-14, 09:37 AM
Aptosuser
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Allannde
My "other " car is a Prius Plug in which has a life time 115 mpg average. We just could not consider an RX 350 with 18 mpg. We don't have the RXh yet. It is still in the factory because it is a "Special Order" car.
We are also looking forward to the fine ride as we have been retired for many years.
I gotta ask: What's so special about your special-order car? As for being retired and wanting a better ride, my previous ride was an '07 RAV4 and I have felt your pain.
Old 04-03-14, 10:09 AM
Allannde
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Aptosuser
I gotta ask: What's so special about your special-order car? As for being retired and wanting a better ride, my previous ride was an '07 RAV4 and I have felt your pain.
I was a bit surprised that the LED headlights, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, and Heads Up Display would require a special order, but it turned out that they do. I also wanted a trailer towing package which also required a special order. I get the impression that many people do not prefer to wait 3 or 4 months when they make a decision to purchase a new car so these items are passed up for what is available. I don't like to wait, but I dislike compromise in such things even more. Once the wait is over, I will have what I want.

If we are fortunate, we get old and with that, usually there are creaks and groans. It helps to count our blessings!
Old 04-03-14, 04:10 PM
cflutist
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

. I get the impression that many people do not prefer to wait 3 or 4 months when they make a decision to purchase a new car so these items are passed up for what is available. I don't like to wait, but I dislike compromise in such things even more. Once the wait is over, I will have what I want.

If we are fortunate, we get old and with that, usually there are creaks and groans. It helps to count our blessings!
We were first-time Lexus buyers (by stopping by the dealership on our way to HomeDepot to pickup a bathroom vanity ... never made it there that day). We really didn't know what all these options were except what the salesperson pointed out during our test drive.
Would have preferred not to have paid for the Towing Prep or Roof Crossbars that we will never use, but oh well, close enough.

Congrats and good luck with your new RX.
Old 04-03-14, 04:56 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

3. I wanted LED headlights, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, Heads Up Display and the Blind Spot Monitor. Those are all available on the new RX 450h. I am mindful that senses and reactions are not the same as we get older and being a safe and considerate driver requires all the help we can get.

4. I want a comfortable and quality "ride" for this which will most likely be the last vehicle purchase before Mother Nature dictates that I drive no more.

I did not even consider the RX 350. The car the RX 450h replaces is a 1999 Volvo Cross Country which is hard to tell from new, even now. I could not justify replacing it with an RX 350.

After all, whether it is a fine car or humble "wheels". it is just transportation. If we are able to have the best, we are fortunate!

Allan
Dynamic cruise control, H.U.D. and blind-spot monitor are all great additions, I agree. Our barely driven, like-new CPO '10 RX 450h with the comfort and premium packages does not have them, but it does have the headlights that illuminate slow turns and I find those somewhat helpful. Better still is the parking assist. I have to park the RX in our driveway (no garage) close to a retaining wall and I've learned to do it just right to make room for our TCH just by the frequency of the beeping. We have a blind-spot monitor in the Camry, which is very helpful.

How did your Volvo treat you. I'm guessing pretty well if you drove it for 15 years. I've had three Volvos -- an '82 240 DL wagon (stick) that I drove for 15 years and 285,000 miles, a '97 850 and a 2000 S70, both automatics. I liked all of them well enough. Reliability-wise the 850 was the best of the lot.

I've never had a car as nice as our RX 450h, however, and like you, I feel lucky to have it (and fortunate that it's paid for). We are just coming up on 20,000 miles on it and I expect it's the last car I'll ever need or want buy for myself.

Steve
Old 04-03-14, 05:11 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

I was a bit surprised that the LED headlights, Dynamic Radar Cruise Control, and Heads Up Display would require a special order, but it turned out that they do.!
I'm surprised as well. On the 2010, you could get dynamic cruise control and the H.U. display with the luxury package. The blind-spot monitor came later but was still included in a package. But I don't know if dealers were selling many new cars with those packages in the first place. All the used CPO 2010s I've seen for sale by SF Bay Area dealers seem to be optioned like ours, with the comfort and premium packages but none with the luxury package and HUD or dynamic cruise control. Maybe the dealers decided they couldn't sell enough of them new off their lots fast enough to justify the flooring costs of having them sit there until somebody bought them.
Steve
Old 04-03-14, 05:29 PM
Allannde
Driver School Candidate

(snip)
How did your Volvo treat you. I'm guessing pretty well if you drove it for 15 years. I've had three Volvos -- an '82 240 DL wagon (stick) that I drove for 15 years and 285,000 miles, a '97 850 and a 2000 S70, both automatics. I liked all of them well enough. Reliability-wise the 850 was the best of the lot.

I've never had a car as nice as our RX 450h, however, and like you, I feel lucky to have it (and fortunate that it's paid for). We are just coming up on 20,000 miles on it and I expect it's the last car I'll ever need or want buy for myself.

Steve
This is how my Volvo looks today. I admit to mixed feelings about parting with it. I casually mentioned that it was for sale and the person I was speaking with replied SOLD! without hesitation or bargaining over the price. It makes me wonder if I should have asked more.
Old 04-03-14, 05:32 PM
Allannde
Driver School Candidate

The photograph didn't make it the first time
Attached Thumbnails Why did you choose a RX Hybrid?-a.jpg  
Old 04-03-14, 06:16 PM
Aptosuser
Driver

This is how my Volvo looks today. I admit to mixed feelings about parting with it. I casually mentioned that it was for sale and the person I was speaking with replied SOLD! without hesitation or bargaining over the price. It makes me wonder if I should have asked more.
Looks like you took good care of it. How many miles did you have on it when you sold it?
Old 04-03-14, 08:31 PM
Allannde
Driver School Candidate

Looks like you took good care of it. How many miles did you have on it when you sold it?
Steve, it had just turned over 111,000 miles which,I understand, is not high for a 15 year old car. My wife gave it the good Swedish name of "Helga" and has been a good sport about the new RXh. But from what I have heard her say to others, she will miss the Volvo.

We thought about that dark red color which was in those great photos just above in this thread. But we chose the satin cashmere metallic because it is rich and not so dark.
Old 05-20-18, 06:24 AM
tempestv8
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

An old thread from way back but still a good question.

Why did I choose an RX Hybrid? Mainly because I wanted a vehicle that has technology in it to help improve mileage, and bridge the gap between traditional ICE and pure electric vehicles like a Nissan Leaf or Tesla. I liked the idea of battery power but wanted the comfort of having the range if I needed to use it for a long trip. I could have gone with a diesel SUV to achieve the mileage, but the local pollution it generates is a concern in underground carparks and traffic jams, where I frequent.

I could have gone with a Toyota Prius but the RX had a bigger dose of feel good factor when I'm behind the wheel. I like the soft touch finishes and the good road noise isolation of the RX, as well as the higher driving position.

Those were the reasons why I went for the RX hybrid.