Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

ATF WS Change Interval?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-14, 02:25 PM
CBarr31
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas1
I don't know about the RX450h but I have changed mine 3 times on the RX400h. The fluid first change was at 87k miles and it was quite dirty. (Brown in color). The rear tranny was relative clean. I have now made it a scheduled item at 30k miles. The Rx400h has both drain and fill plugs on the CVT. Personally nothing is lifetime, that is not engineer agreed upon but more likely a marketing theme. Unless of course lifetime is when the tranny fails.....just my two cents. By the way On the RX400h forum I have posted pictures of the Drain plug locations and sample pictures of the fluid when changed.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...ial-plugs.html
I had Milton's drained and filled at 10,000 miles a month or so back but the Tech at Lexus forgot to get me a sample to send in to Blackstone for analysis. I was ticked!!!! I'm sure it would have shown high Si, Fe and other "wear" metals. Milton will get his ATF WS changed at 25,000 then again at 50,000 then every 50,000 after that.

Ohhh for those wondering Ema is now at 366,000 miles and still just burning a little oil, <knock on wood>

Happy driving,
Chris
Old 07-08-15, 05:29 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

I took Alexis - my 2013 RXh AWD with 34,500 miles over 18 months - to the local Toyota dealership today for gearbox oil changes.

I took three 1/2 pint mason jars (about 2.5" in diameter) for the technician to take samples of a) the front transmission, b) the rear axle, and c) new fluid.

I haven't decided to send them out for analysis; however, with just a simple attempt to shine a 340 lumen flashlight through the samples (2.5"), the light through the new fluid looks taillight red/bright; while barely any light shone through the sample from the rear axle; and no light made it through the oil sample from the front transmission/axle.

I'll open the samples tomorrow and do the drop-on-white-paper test for transparency -- although I doubt I'll conclude anything other than "...yup, it's used oil...". I'll stir and pour some through a coffee filter; but doubt I'll see any particulates.

I was a bit surprised that the new fluid was as dark as it is -- but color alone isn't cause for alarm - as the used oil could be picking up color from the insulation of the motor winding insulation.

I have no reason to suspect high temperature breakdown.

I would have liked to see whether or not there was anything stuck to a magnet on the drain plug -- and had considered buying some drain plugs and making my own for the technician to reinstall -- only, I figure that if there were any shavings that could be picked up by a magnet that they surely were securely stuck to the magnets of the motors -- and secured against going through any gear meshes (my biggest concern).
Old 08-25-15, 07:40 AM
rsutoratos
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm nearing 100k, if the dealer doesn't change this Ill have to do it myself.

Just need to get the WS ATF, here is the link to change it. Pretty easy. If you click on the links off the site, it gives you many other info

http://workshop-manuals.com/lexus/rx...ons/page_3541/
Old 09-19-15, 03:51 PM
kolessc400
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

W/s fluid according to stats provided my manufacturer should be inspected at 100k mi and if dirty then changed if not dirty change at 150k mi w/s is suposed to be changed at the life time of the component which is 150k
Old 10-05-16, 12:01 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

does anyone know how much comes out when doing a simple drain and fill instead of the flush? for the front and for the rear?
Old 10-06-16, 06:21 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,197 Likes on 1,023 Posts

It is only a drain and fill like a manual transmission and it only holds about 2 quarts per the instructions in the link above. However that appears to be for the rear. Per the first post in this thread it holds about 5 quarts in the front. You do not do a flush on this transmission, it is not possible.
Having done the fluid drain and fill on both a CT200h and HS250h front transmission, which are very similar and may even have the same transmission, this is a very simple operation.

Last edited by Clutchless; 10-06-16 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-06-16, 08:35 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts

Oils will also change color (darken) from heat and oxidation. Just try it with some canola or olive oil in your frying pan and you'll see what I mean. I wouldn't suggest trying it inside with engine or ATF, though!
Old 10-06-16, 08:37 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Thanks, Clutchless. Just to make things super clear....... the front transaxle deals with the PSD AND the front differential. And the rear transaxle deals with the rear differential. Am I correct on this? and if I have this right, the rear differential is not different than conventional rear differential used in non-hybrid RX's. Is this correct? I am asking because conventional rear diff's fluid lasts quite a while. As an example, I only changed it every 90K miles or so on my 01 RX300 AWD.

Last edited by MellonC00; 10-06-16 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-06-16, 11:57 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,197 Likes on 1,023 Posts

It appears the rear unit is not a differential but is another transaxle with an electric motor same as in front: See attachment

That is why it takes WS ATF. Another thread has this reprinted from the manual about fluid changes, along with comments from the poster:

Starting on page 49 is the stated maintenance for 15 K miles +.

For the rear differential oil change, there are no scheduled changes thru 150K miles unless you use the vehicle for towing or heavy vehicle loading. If that is the case, you then change the rear fluid every 15,000 miles. Thus, Edmunds is using the "severe use" schedule on their website for maintenance. I guess I would be inclined to change it at 100,000 miles if I plan to keep the vehicle for a longer time (I do no towing).

If it was my vehicle, I would do a rear fluid change when I did the front fluid change and would do both before 50,000 miles as they are simple drain and fills. Just buy about 6 or 7 quarts of WS and 4 washers from the local Toyota dealer.
Attached Files

Last edited by Clutchless; 10-06-16 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-06-16, 12:37 PM
smokey0066
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

this is good info.. I'll be doing my first drain and fill this fall (2010 rx450h) along with a whole bunch of other maintenance to prepare for the upcoming winter.
Old 10-06-16, 02:53 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

and making this even clearer I found this definition of Transaxle vs. Transmission Vs. Differential. it states:

..... a transaxle performs both the gear-changing function of a transmission and the power-splitting ability of an axle differential in one integrated unit. A transmission performs the gear-changing function only, delivering power via a single output shaft at the back of the unit. Although both perform gear shifts in the same fashion, there's often confusion about these two terms because the word "transmission" is sometimes used as a blanket description to include transaxles when it should not be.

So, in this case, it's right that both the front unit and rear unit be TRANSAXLE. Not transmission and differential for the front and not differential for the rear. Since the front MG is hooked up to the PSD and power is sent out directly from that unit it would be the front transaxle. For the rear, there is no center shaft connecting the front and the back. Thus, the rear MG would need its own transmission and differential. Or simply put, a transaxle.

To make a long story short, the correct term I should have been using was: TRANSAXSLE FLUID. Of course, this only applies to AWD hybrid drivetrain.
Old 04-13-17, 05:59 PM
rns
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did the transmission oil change. The old oil was not looking good after 106K miles (172000km). No service record that it would have been changed by previous owners.

How much is the remove and refill capacity? Initial capacity is mentioned to be 4.6 litres but I refilled only 3.8 litres. I did not measure how much came out old oil.
Update: Now I found on the forum this document that tells to set it in Fwd maintenance mode before 2nd checking of the fluid level.
This I did not do as I did not see that kind of step in the online manual available.
Attached Thumbnails ATF WS Change Interval?-old-atf-ws.jpg  

Last edited by rns; 04-13-17 at 06:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tempestv8 (02-28-19)
Old 04-14-17, 06:37 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

The key is you fill it till it overflows. The level is to the top of the bottom of the fill hole. Real simple, I prefer to put plug in run the transmission into drive and park and then re-check the level at the fill hole.
Old 04-14-17, 08:27 AM
rns
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas1
The key is you fill it till it overflows. The level is to the top of the bottom of the fill hole.
Thanks but that's how I did it and when I managed to fit 3.8 litres of fluid.
Today I checked again but after keeping car about 2-3 minutes in Fwd maintenance mode. There fit 0.2 litres more until it flew over.
So based on this it takes about 4.0 litres to refill it.
Attached Thumbnails ATF WS Change Interval?-atf_ws.jpg  
Old 04-18-17, 07:27 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 100 Likes on 85 Posts

I have the RX400h and mine always takes about 4 liters....Have done this change about 5 times. I now have 200k miles on the ride.
The following users liked this post:
tempestv8 (02-26-18)

Quick Reply: ATF WS Change Interval?