Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Are you happy with your RX450?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-13, 08:07 PM
dug320
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YES! Despite my litany of minor complaints I just love driving it.

Old 03-16-13, 06:45 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Droid13
I have a 2010 "sunglass holder" version with 45k miles, all good...

I'll comment a bit about your AWD vs FWD choice. Not sure what you have now in the 400h, but I think there is a difference which applies a bit more to hybrids then conventional RXs, regarding the regenerative breaking. While I've never driven an RX450h FWD (all Canadian models are AWD, FWD is not offered) I did drive a FWD hybrid Camry for many years.

The point I'm trying to make is with FWD, all the regen happens on the front wheels. The Camry was heavy for it's class, as is with many hybrids. That means the fronts handle a majority of the typical breaking. The issue I found with that car is that if the roads are wet, or dusty, or bumpy if either of the fronts loses traction just for an instant the ABS would kick off the regenerative breaking on the front wheels and apply mechanical breaking to all 4 wheels. But that instant of transition is disconcerting because for a 1/4 of a second it feels like the brakes are lost, then the mechanicals kick in fairly aggressively. I have never experienced this with the AWD RX450h, as the regenerative breaking occurs on all 4 wheels. I've found it's regen system to always be super smooth and consistent all the way to the stopping point. I've found this to be the most notable driving improvement over the Camry, from a hybrid specific point of view.

I'm not sure this was ever an issue with the RXh FWDs, but it was a complaint with the Prius too. Just something to consider...
I have a 2010 Prius and 2011 FWD 450h. The 450h doesn't have transition like my Prius. The Prius was bad when I first got it, but it did get better after the patch. Still, the RX450 doesn't have it. I do have to say the car's brakes aren't very good. It requires a lot more effort to stop
Old 03-25-13, 06:16 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was in a 2005 RX330 and went to the 2011 RX450h Love this car and will not go back to a 350 . Sorry to see they took the camera out of the right hand mirror my wife uses it a lot to park in the garage ( lost center vision in one eye ).
Old 03-29-13, 05:51 AM
watch37
Driver

We traded in our 2010 450h after two years of ownership. Overall our experience was a good. Really good gas mileage for a mid size SUV. Only real issues was the lack of power, especially going up hill or when carrying a heavy load. Looking back, we would have been happier with the AWD version.
Old 04-14-13, 02:39 PM
vertooch
Driver School Candidate

I gotta say I love the 2010 450h I just bought. I went from a 2006 Porsche cayenne ** 11.5 mpg } to this vehicle. I gave up a few of the inside comforts but I love the mpg , the way it handles and the power. That's saying something coming from a sports car handling 450hp Porsche. I am very satisfied so far with this vehicle.
Old 05-14-13, 05:51 PM
ray1628
Driver School Candidate

im driving 2010 rx450h hud is a must for me very useful on the roads with speed limit 31mpg love it
Old 05-16-13, 11:10 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

We had a 2010 350AWD, and ended up trading it in for a '13 450h AWD. In a nutshell, we liked the 350, but we both love the 450h. I would NEVER have thought I would have a hybrid, as we both had a somewhat skeptical viewpoint of the practical AND financial benefits. We weren't looking for (or even considering) a hybrid when we bought this car. However, there is no denying how much more we like this car than we did the 350. The more subjective benefits are well worth the cost, to us.

The 450h is more comfortable for both of us, it handles better, and it feels like it has significantly more power. We also think it rides better, which I attribute to the increased weight from the batteries more than changes in the suspension. We make no accommodations in our driving style for the hybrid, yet we get 27 to 30MPG, as opposed to 18 to 20 we achieved in the 350 for similar driving. We have not experienced any of the "negatives" expressed by others in this thread, at all. In fact, in every day driving, it's not difficult to forget we're driving a hybrid!

It's a little embarrassing considering where I started, but I admit it. I am a full blown Lexus hybrid convert. Not because of the mileage. Because of the overall car. It is a truly nice package.

BTW - I know you said you're considering an '11-'12, but I would suggest you at least consider a '13. There are some nice changes.

Last edited by User 41924; 05-16-13 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-16-13, 01:36 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Woody, glad to hear you're a happy hybrid owner. The RXh makes driving regular gas cars well, blah, in comparison.
Old 08-19-13, 06:37 AM
Joriad
Driver School Candidate

I was very pleased with my 2010 until it was trashed a week ago on my way to work. The 4 Star safety rating paid off when a oncoming car crossed the medium and took me out. I was hit on the drivers wheel and knocked into a tree stump on the passanger wheel and than ended up flipping onto the passanger side. Both cars were going at least 50 and all the airbags deployed and I was lucky to walk away with some pain in my neck and back. Everything worked the way it was suppose to. I along with the other driver were very lucky that morning. Oh well someone has to keep the recycled auto part business supplied.

I only had this 450H 9 months and was looking forward to many years of use but now I have start looking for a replacement. I have not decided on a 2012 or a new 2013 yet but it will be another 450H.
Attached Thumbnails Are you happy with your RX450?-450h-accident.jpg  
Old 08-19-13, 08:08 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Joriad, I am sooo glad you're ok. The RXh did a great job. Pretty amazing considering how mangled it looks I hope you've been checked for the neck and back pain. That's important right now, getting proper treatment. Best of luck finding another 450h. We look forward to seeing it. And thanks for sharing your story.
Old 08-19-13, 10:25 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Joriad, let me add my +1 to Anita's comments. I'm sad about the damage to your relatively new RX, but VERY happy you are doing OK and pleased the RX did its job when you most needed it to. Take care of yourself, and I look forward to hearing about that new RXh one day!
Old 08-19-13, 12:13 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Joriad,
Thanks for sharing what could happen to any of us at any time. Good to hear no one was seriously injured. Hope you have a quick recovery on the neck and back pain. Thanks for the good report on the 450h doing its job, safety wise, and that you will be looking for another 450h. Makes me glad we have our 450h.
Old 08-20-13, 01:10 PM
Dadikins
Pole Position

Joriad,
Glad you're ok! Was the other driver "distracted" when (s)he crossed the median? And I agree with the others - take care of yourself (your RX can be replaced, but you can't).

Let us know what you ultimately choose for a replacement.
Old 08-20-13, 01:31 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

John, hopefully today you don't feel the worse for wear after such a bad wreck. From a number of standpoints, feel happy your injuries (and hopefully the occupants in the other car) are not serious and that the car probably gave it's life to keep you safe. With all that damage plus air bag deployment I can't imagine you won't be shopping again as soon as your insurance company gives the green light. Folk that ride in mine say it feels like a luxury tank. I have to agree .

Hang in there and keep us in the loop.
Old 09-18-13, 06:01 AM
Joriad
Driver School Candidate

Smile Replaced wrecked 2010 with a 2012

All

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post about my accident and the crash safety of my 2010. I would like you all to know that after my search for a replacememnt, I now have a certified 2012, black on black. I tried to find another used or new red replacement but ended up with black . The only difference between the 2010 and 2012 is the parking assist option. So far it has continued my complete satisfaction with Lexus and this model.

On another note, I walked away from this with some pains in back and neck and have now completed, all my doctor visits and pain pills. Another testament to the safety of the car and my luck.

Quick Reply: Are you happy with your RX450?