Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Updates on the RX450h F Sport!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-13, 09:45 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Updates on the RX450h F Sport!

Its been exactly 3 months since I collected my RX450h F Sport. Just done a 400 mile road trip to London and back. The more I spend time in the car, the more I am satisfied with it and I definitely enjoy driving it as well as admiring it from afar .

Firstly, after having the RX300, gen 2, the initial ride seemed firm. It was never harsh but was firmer than what I was used to. It seems to have settled down and I have become much more used to it.

Also, I find the Sport mode is particularly useful for motorway driving. The power is rather urgent and I find it is much more stable and confident in turns in Sport mode. I managed to hit the top speed, 124mph briefly at night, and found that the engine was still not straining. The steering is also hardened which is very welcome when driving at high speed. I found braking was very good too. I also noticed that there is much less boating about in my RX450h F Sport compared to the gen 2 RX. Steering has been improved as well as the cornering ability. The 450h seems much more confident and feels very tight.

Wind noise is slightly more apparent compared to my 2005 RX300. However, overall, the car is much quieter. The Mark Levinson sound system is also amazing. Completely covers the cabin in sound which I really like!

The HUD was also very useful to me. We have some roadworks going on at the moment where there are a lot of speed camera's. The HUD proved very useful and I think it is a must have.

The MPG was not all the good though sadly. Managed to get out 31.6 UK MPG. The car is officially rated at 45 MPG over here so considerably below that figure. However, I was not using 97 octane fuel, I was using 95 octane unleaded which may have affected the economy. Also Eco mode was not engaged as I was in Sport mode. To be fair I do have a heavy right foot .

Overall, I think I definitely made the right decision in buying this car. I think its a very accomplished vehicle which for me, seems to do everything well. Id say its the best motorway cruiser ive been in as well as one of the best handling SUV's.
Old 02-25-13, 02:26 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

that genuinely made no sense whatsoever
Old 02-25-13, 07:31 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

James, I notice in your profile you don't own a RX 450h. Most of us do, I've had mine since June of 09 and was produced in the 1st production month (May 09) for the 450h. Just to clarify, yes the hybrid is designed to get better mileage both in the city AND the highway. And it does! Like any car the mileage goes down as the speed goes up and drag increases but at 70mph or below you can expect between 28-30mpg which is better than the gas only 350. My overall average (even tho down a tad due to winter blends) is still about 30mpg. Best I could average on my 03 RX300 was an average of 21 and sometimes 24-25 on a trip. Some get better, some get less but we all get better than if they weren't the (h) model. The Atkinson style combustion is designed to warm it up faster. The rated horsepower for the ICE (internal combustion engine) is the same as on the 350 with the difference in horsepower provided by the electric motors bringing it to 295 total hp available.

At steady hwy cruise, if you had one with the NAV screen you could watch the system sometimes provide power to the drive train through the electric motors and sometimes reverse that to provide traction battery charge. The nickel hydride batteries deplete faster than lithium but also recharge much faster. They never become fully charged or fully depleted by design to hold a long life expectancy designed for the life of the car.
Originally Posted by Jimthe1st
The is NO aspect of your RX hybrid that is attuned to improving highway use FE. Absent coastdown or braking periods the ICE MUST be used to recharge, maintain the hybrid battery charge level.

Last edited by Cruiter; 02-25-13 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-26-13, 07:50 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Its been exactly 3 months since I collected my RX450h F Sport. Just done a 400 mile road trip to London and back. The more I spend time in the car, the more I am satisfied with it and I definitely enjoy driving it as well as admiring it from afar .

Firstly, after having the RX300, gen 2, the initial ride seemed firm. It was never harsh but was firmer than what I was used to. It seems to have settled down and I have become much more used to it.

Also, I find the Sport mode is particularly useful for motorway driving. The power is rather urgent and I find it is much more stable and confident in turns in Sport mode. I managed to hit the top speed, 124mph briefly at night, and found that the engine was still not straining. The steering is also hardened which is very welcome when driving at high speed. I found braking was very good too. I also noticed that there is much less boating about in my RX450h F Sport compared to the gen 2 RX. Steering has been improved as well as the cornering ability. The 450h seems much more confident and feels very tight.

Wind noise is slightly more apparent compared to my 2005 RX300. However, overall, the car is much quieter. The Mark Levinson sound system is also amazing. Completely covers the cabin in sound which I really like!

The HUD was also very useful to me. We have some roadworks going on at the moment where there are a lot of speed camera's. The HUD proved very useful and I think it is a must have.

The MPG was not all the good though sadly. Managed to get out 31.6 UK MPG. The car is officially rated at 45 MPG over here so considerably below that figure. However, I was not using 97 octane fuel, I was using 95 octane unleaded which may have affected the economy. Also Eco mode was not engaged as I was in Sport mode. To be fair I do have a heavy right foot .

Overall, I think I definitely made the right decision in buying this car. I think its a very accomplished vehicle which for me, seems to do everything well. Id say its the best motorway cruiser ive been in as well as one of the best handling SUV's.
I think that maybe..... POSSIBLY .... 124 MPH could have a negative impact on mileage AND wind noise!!

I've noticed there is a bit of wind noise as well, but it really isn't too bad. You can still have a normal conversation without having to shout at each other. I love that about our cars! I have wondered how much the unusually large outside mirrors contribute to the wind noise. Lexus has apparently decided that visibility is a more significant concern than wind noise. It's hard to argue, but those are some serious mirrors!
Old 02-26-13, 08:02 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
that genuinely made no sense whatsoever
Of course not!
450h F-Sport
97 Octane
31.6 MPG
124 MPH

That's all foreign to us (pun intended).
Old 02-26-13, 08:40 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

I was referring to the other comment which seems to have disappeared now LOL. Basically 97 octane fuel is premium fuel for you guys . and we dont get the RX350 at all, just the 450h in the UK.

Woody, I was generally driving at 90mph but i just thought id test it out and be a little naughty! It sure is a beast! Need to seriously get down and wash it, bug blood everywhere!