Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

Hybrid Battery replacement Roll-Call

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-15, 07:22 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

I bought a single cell off ebay for $40 or less just to have on hand in case something happens.

There are many youtube videos of Toyota Hybrid owners going over the process.

A single cell replacement can revive the pack.
Old 03-24-15, 01:34 PM
Champstar
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am looking at an 07 GS450h with 85k miles on it. Is it still covered under warranty?
Fyi - Being sold by local car dealer, and not Lexus Dealership. Has had 2 previous owners.
Old 03-26-15, 08:06 AM
ATLgs450h
Driver School Candidate

http://www.falconhybrid.com/Lexus-GS...p/gs450h12.htm

I came across this after a quick search in case anybody is interested in finding out more.
Old 03-30-15, 12:53 PM
upnorth
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 GS450h hybrid battery replacement

Hey,

I'm kinda late but mine was replaced under warranty last January at 152,000kms (95,000 miles).

Now my E-cvt (transaxle) is dead.... Going to Lexus for diagnosis.

Fingers crossed...
The following users liked this post:
vap3 (10-15-18)
Old 03-31-15, 04:19 AM
Hale
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Champstar
I am looking at an 07 GS450h with 85k miles on it. Is it still covered under warranty?
Fyi - Being sold by local car dealer, and not Lexus Dealership. Has had 2 previous owners.
The hybrid battery warranty is 8 years and 100K miles so it would depend on when the car was built for the 8 years..

Last edited by Hale; 03-31-15 at 04:21 AM. Reason: accuracy
Old 04-22-15, 11:26 AM
missyj
Driver School Candidate

I took my car Lexus 2007 gs 450h to Lexus dealership for the "fuel pressure sensor sealer/gasket" recall. a couple days later, my hybrid battery quit working, the warning on the dash were these; check vsc, check ecb, check hybrid system, check engine,light, and the traction control icon came on. Also some fan started blowing from the shelf below the rearview window. My car just turned over at 130,000 miles and aside from regular maintenance, I have not had to do any repair work with the exception of replacing rear shocks 2 years ago.. I tried to have another certified mechanic resolve the issue but he could not and says I would have to have Lexus look at it. I am out of warranty and am dreading what Lexus will tell me tomorrow when I take my car in

Last edited by missyj; 04-25-15 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-25-15, 11:36 AM
missyj
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by missyj
I took my car Lexus 2007 gs 450h to Lexus dealership for the "fuel pressure sensor sealer/gasket" recall. a couple days later, my hybrid battery quit working, the warning on the dash were these; check vsc, check ecb, check hybrid system, check engine,light, and the traction control icon came on. Also some fan started blowing from the shelf below the rearview window. My car just turned over at 130,000 miles and aside from regular maintenance, I have not had to do any repair work with the exception of replacing rear shocks 2 years ago.. I tried to have another certified mechanic resolve the issue but he could not and says I would have to have Lexus look at it. I am out of warranty and am dreading what Lexus will tell me tomorrow when I take my car in
Been to Lexus and seems my hybrid battery is dead or at least 2 cells are gone, however Lexus tells me I have to replace the whole battery. Attached is the Lexus quote for the new battery. The service dept did manage to get my car model wrong on this invoice but rest assured they got the price right for my Lexus gs 450H.
Another member in this forum posted a link http://www.falconhybrid.com , where you can buy a refurbished battery at 1/3 of the cost. I checked it out and may go that route.
Attached Files
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
repair est..pdf (597.1 KB, 325 views)
vap3 (10-15-18)
Old 05-07-15, 07:40 PM
mr. tetsuo
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

welp i just got the dreaded message today.

i stopped driving it for a few days because i heard metal on metal sound coming from the front. (assumed it may have been from my wheels.)

fast forward to today, i move it from the street because of street sweeping. after turning on the car, i feel a violent shake coming from the engine bay. no lights or anything, so i proceed to park it in the drive way. once the sweeper passes, i turn it on to find that lovely message on my dash along with the check engine light on.

i drove it down the street and back to see if it might disappear. the energy flows like normal and the battery says it even had 2 bars still.

am i screwed? =[ its a 07 with 109k miles.
Old 05-09-15, 04:32 PM
missyj
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Originally Posted by mr. tetsuo
welp i just got the dreaded message today.

i stopped driving it for a few days because i heard metal on metal sound coming from the front. (assumed it may have been from my wheels.)

fast forward to today, i move it from the street because of street sweeping. after turning on the car, i feel a violent shake coming from the engine bay. no lights or anything, so i proceed to park it in the drive way. once the sweeper passes, i turn it on to find that lovely message on my dash along with the check engine light on.

i drove it down the street and back to see if it might disappear. the energy flows like normal and the battery says it even had 2 bars still.

am i screwed? =[ its a 07 with 109k miles.
I am no expert or anything but it seems that if your energy is still flowing and the bars still fluctuate up and down then your problem might be something else. When my battery died there was no energy flowing . . neither orange nor yellow nor green. I did however have about six blue bars that fluctuated between two and six. Other than that my car still drove as smooth as ever and if it wasn't for the warning lights being on in the car I wouldn't have had a clue something was wrong.Because you mentioned your wheels and the noise from the front end of your car, ...if your ECB , and VSC lights are on also , I would venture to guess that you may have brake problems. I hope everything work out for you.
Old 05-10-15, 08:08 PM
mr. tetsuo
Intermediate

I am no expert or anything but it seems that if your energy is still flowing and the bars still fluctuate up and down then your problem might be something else. When my battery died there was no energy flowing . . neither orange nor yellow nor green. I did however have about six blue bars that fluctuated between two and six. Other than that my car still drove as smooth as ever and if it wasn't for the warning lights being on in the car I wouldn't have had a clue something was wrong.Because you mentioned your wheels and the noise from the front end of your car, ...if your ECB , and VSC lights are on also , I would venture to guess that you may have brake problems. I hope everything work out for you.
only have the check engine light on and yea the arrows still flow. i hope its something smaller. i may use my toyota tech hook up to find out more on the message and will report back my findings.
Old 05-11-15, 08:31 AM
missyj
Driver School Candidate

Cool

only have the check engine light on and yea the arrows still flow. i hope its something smaller. i may use my toyota tech hook up to find out more on the message and will report back my findings.
That is a good idea because I remember the service guy at Lexus told me that if your check engine light come on it will affect the hybrid battery causing that light to come on also. I had a refurbished hybrid battery put in my GS450H for $2300.00 total cost which is 1/3 of what Lexus charges. I listed Lexus cost here and labor was not included in the price of $6106.42, and the labor charge would have brought it up to $7000.00 or more. And Lexus only give a 1 year warranty on a new battery ...what a rip off. My refurbished battery also have a 1 year warranty. But I am still gonna trade it after a while, right now it drives so good and is so beautiful I'm going to enjoy it for the summer.
vap3 (10-15-18)
Old 05-11-15, 09:25 PM
mr. tetsuo
Intermediate

That is a good idea because I remember the service guy at Lexus told me that if your check engine light come on it will affect the hybrid battery causing that light to come on also...But I am still gonna trade it after a while, right now it drives so good and is so beautiful I'm going to enjoy it for the summer.
i never even knew that, good info to know- thanks!

lol enjoy the GS past summer and forever i dont think i could replace it. id miss it.
Old 05-13-15, 11:16 AM
mr. tetsuo
Intermediate

update:

oddly enough when i started the car yesterday, there was no warning sign or check engine light on.

i drove it around the block with my eyes glued to the energy flow screen. nothing out of the ordinary.

i drove it to work on the freeway again staring at the same screen and listening for any weird sounds. still nothing.

so i dont know.... lol
Old 05-13-15, 04:36 PM
missyj
Driver School Candidate

update:

oddly enough when i started the car yesterday, there was no warning sign or check engine light on.

i drove it around the block with my eyes glued to the energy flow screen. nothing out of the ordinary.

i drove it to work on the freeway again staring at the same screen and listening for any weird sounds. still nothing.

so i dont know.... lol
Huh . . .that IS weird .. . but a good weird! But if you want to play it safe you should still get a diagnostic done. $75.00 now could save you hundreds perhaps even thousands later. If you want to continue to drive your luxury hybrid this summer and beyond, its well worth the investment.
Last note: one forum member stated that never at anytime should there be anything on the back window shelf and that it is a good idea to vacuum that area when cleaning your car. I have since read this in the manual so this is true. Also it is not a good idea to go through an automatic car wash, the ones where you have to put your car in neutral as that does not allow your battery pack to charge and it will drain faster. I know this is true because several times my car has shut down because of riding the rails at the car wash. I don't know if that further deteriorated my battery pack but you can't be too safe.

Last edited by missyj; 05-13-15 at 04:36 PM. Reason: misspellings
Old 05-14-15, 05:38 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

The same fuse that powers the rear view mirror is somehow related to the hybrid system. I got a bunch of the hybrid related warning lights on etc when I popped that one. Even after replacing the fuse, they didn't go away. I used my Bluetooth ODB2 dongle and cleared the light and it has been gone ever since.

If the light isn't currently on, it is unlikely there is an ongoing malfunction.

If you want to be sure, invest in one of the handy dandy cheapie Lexus specific cables.

Quick Reply: Hybrid Battery replacement Roll-Call