Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.

APEXi Throttle Controller for GS450h

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-11, 06:27 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 73 Likes on 37 Posts

I would love to see this work...

But i have limited hopes on it.
Old 10-18-11, 06:41 PM
adamz28
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormforge
you do not get more HP out of this mod, only quicker acceleration (ie: throttle response). this mod reduces the "lag" that is experienced in regular acceleration.

in order to get more HP (and to reduce your 0-60 times), you need to do hp mods like turbo, SC, NOS, engine swap. this throttle controller won't give you want you are looking for (ie: more HP).
I think that reducing lag in acceleration should translate to quicker 0-60 times independent of horsepower increases; similar to increasing gear ratios. A quick pull with a G-Tech would answer the question.
Old 10-18-11, 09:30 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Originally Posted by adamz28
I think that reducing lag in acceleration should translate to quicker 0-60 times independent of horsepower increases; similar to increasing gear ratios. A quick pull with a G-Tech would answer the question.
Might get a tenth...but you are still not changing the algorithm that the computers use. I say do it. Bite the bullet, get it. Show us time slips. If no change...sell it here in the classifieds.
Old 10-18-11, 11:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by adamz28
no, not at all. without increase in hp or gearing, it won't affect acceleration.

what you refer to is called reaction time. but simply put, if your car is stationary and in an instance you floor it all the way to peel out for 0-60, this module will NOT help you much at all. what this does is during normal driving (or say on track), the throttle becomes more sensitive and open up more quickly.

using my m3 as example, using the power button or not doesn't affect acceleration. if anything, the throttle opens too fast and you tend to have more slip anyway. in fact, the power button makes the throttle so sensitive that it becomes less ideal for track application because it's much harder to do smooth transition. for street racing though most people like the power button
Old 10-19-11, 12:49 AM
VIP Auto Salon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by rominl
no, not at all. without increase in hp or gearing, it won't affect acceleration.

what you refer to is called reaction time. but simply put, if your car is stationary and in an instance you floor it all the way to peel out for 0-60, this module will NOT help you much at all. what this does is during normal driving (or say on track), the throttle becomes more sensitive and open up more quickly.

using my m3 as example, using the power button or not doesn't affect acceleration. if anything, the throttle opens too fast and you tend to have more slip anyway. in fact, the power button makes the throttle so sensitive that it becomes less ideal for track application because it's much harder to do smooth transition. for street racing though most people like the power button

You are absolutely right that there would be no increase in HP or reduce the gearing it anyway. You have theoretically have a faster 0-60 time because they begin the clock the moment you hit throttle, so technically yes you would have a faster time. It would allow the throttle to be more sensitive and therefore begin the acceleration process sooner.

As for throttle opening too fast I would have to disagree. I road race and drift quite frequently at the local tracks we have in southern california in my personal 1995 240SX and have worked on a few professional teams as a pit crew member and immediate throttle response is key in road racing and drift. After entering a corner I modulate my throttle to control the slip angle that i get from my car in order to corner faster and have a controlled arc on exiting a turn (granted I have a limited slip). Faster throttle response is always a plus since you have far more control during a race, which is why many teams that utilize turbo opt for a smaller turbo just to have more immediate throttle response, rather than use a larger turbo with more power but slower response.

And with hybrids, the electric motors and CVT systems has very good torque curves already so i think this would off a nice sporty feel and upgrade, but thats just my two cents.
Old 10-19-11, 08:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

well, all i can say is from my experience, m driving school instructors, and some hard core people who bring their m3s to the track, they all recommend no power button. i don't know about other cars and i don't comment on them. could be bmw didn't do a good job on it, but i tried, couldn't get a good smooth power out of corner. with a slight tap and it throws the rear off already. in fact that's why i said in post #8 that i am interested in how this changes the throttle characteristic on the gs
Old 10-19-11, 08:55 AM
VIP Auto Salon
Former Sponsor

well, all i can say is from my experience, m driving school instructors, and some hard core people who bring their m3s to the track, they all recommend no power button. i don't know about other cars and i don't comment on them. could be bmw didn't do a good job on it, but i tried, couldn't get a good smooth power out of corner. with a slight tap and it throws the rear off already. in fact that's why i said in post #8 that i am interested in how this changes the throttle characteristic on the gs

You know that could also be very true as well, there is a large amount of power behind the M3, and I think it take a really high level of skill in order to handle that modulation of the throttle (I am definitely no where near that point ahhaha). My car doesnt have that much power so even though its immediate since its cable throttle it doesnt have that KICK of an M3, i can definitely see where you are coming from.
Old 10-19-11, 09:11 AM
ghd8989
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by VIP Auto Salon
You are absolutely right that there would be no increase in HP or reduce the gearing it anyway. You have theoretically have a faster 0-60 time because they begin the clock the moment you hit throttle, so technically yes you would have a faster time. It would allow the throttle to be more sensitive and therefore begin the acceleration process sooner.

As for throttle opening too fast I would have to disagree. I road race and drift quite frequently at the local tracks we have in southern california in my personal 1995 240SX and have worked on a few professional teams as a pit crew member and immediate throttle response is key in road racing and drift. After entering a corner I modulate my throttle to control the slip angle that i get from my car in order to corner faster and have a controlled arc on exiting a turn (granted I have a limited slip). Faster throttle response is always a plus since you have far more control during a race, which is why many teams that utilize turbo opt for a smaller turbo just to have more immediate throttle response, rather than use a larger turbo with more power but slower response.

And with hybrids, the electric motors and CVT systems has very good torque curves already so i think this would off a nice sporty feel and upgrade, but thats just my two cents.
If any of you have driven the Gs-h, you would know what Adam is mentioning. It is that slight, hesitation, that does indeed, slow your 0-60 time when it happens. It's clear he understands it is not adding horsepower, but actual response time to the throttle that often chokes up when fully depressed.
Old 10-19-11, 10:48 AM
Gfrost07
Driver School Candidate

I actually have the apex throttle control on my gs3, depending on the setting you have it on u can acutally feel the quick response on the acceleration! Good bang for the cost, im happy w/ it so far
Old 10-19-11, 11:37 AM
VIP Auto Salon
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gfrost07
I actually have the apex throttle control on my gs3, depending on the setting you have it on u can acutally feel the quick response on the acceleration! Good bang for the cost, im happy w/ it so far
Raffle Winner at the Pursuit for Longo Lexus!!!
Old 10-19-11, 11:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by VIP Auto Salon
You know that could also be very true as well, there is a large amount of power behind the M3, and I think it take a really high level of skill in order to handle that modulation of the throttle (I am definitely no where near that point ahhaha). My car doesnt have that much power so even though its immediate since its cable throttle it doesnt have that KICK of an M3, i can definitely see where you are coming from.
it could be. definitely not saying it's no fun though. with the power button on and punch it, man that pushed into the seat feel is great. maybe it just takes a lot of practice to get used to the throttle. but back to the 3gs, i had the gs350 and i can definitely see how a more sensitive throttle can help in the driving experience.

Originally Posted by ghd8989
If any of you have driven the Gs-h, you would know what Adam is mentioning. It is that slight, hesitation, that does indeed, slow your 0-60 time when it happens. It's clear he understands it is not adding horsepower, but actual response time to the throttle that often chokes up when fully depressed.
ok, i will play the evil here again, but hesitation isn't part of 0-60 right? time doesn't start until the car starts to move, and with 0-60, gas pedal is floored all the way (WOT).

now on a red light race, drag, or track, i can definitely related how this can potentially help
Old 10-19-11, 12:35 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you will NOT go any faster in the 3gs regardless of what anyone will post or say...Do you "feel" the difference yes! And I must say it felt awesome when I had my GS430.

I dont see the point on a Hybrid as neurocity posted the pedal doesnt controll the throttle on this car so does it send a faster response to the computer??
Old 10-19-11, 01:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by passnu2
you will NOT go any faster in the 3gs regardless of what anyone will post or say...Do you "feel" the difference yes! And I must say it felt awesome when I had my GS430.

I dont see the point on a Hybrid as neurocity posted the pedal doesnt controll the throttle on this car so does it send a faster response to the computer??
that's pretty much my question. since you installed the unit before, mike, maybe you can comment more. if what the unit does is "exaggerate" the movement of the pedal and create a faster response than factory, then i think this unit would have an effect on the hybrid as well. from the installation (which i think is around the gas pedal area?), i would tend to think so. but again, this is the only question i have on the setup. for sure it doesn't affect engine / tranny
Old 10-19-11, 01:57 PM
ghd8989
Pit Crew

it could be. definitely not saying it's no fun though. with the power button on and punch it, man that pushed into the seat feel is great. maybe it just takes a lot of practice to get used to the throttle. but back to the 3gs, i had the gs350 and i can definitely see how a more sensitive throttle can help in the driving experience.

ok, i will play the evil here again, but hesitation isn't part of 0-60 right? time doesn't start until the car starts to move, and with 0-60, gas pedal is floored all the way (WOT).

now on a red light race, drag, or track, i can definitely related how this can potentially help
Ok, lets rename this, "Red light race" enhancing
Old 10-19-11, 04:59 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Originally Posted by ghd8989
I have and do every day...that lag is put in place so the combined torque of both electric and gas motors do tear the rear end out of the car.

Anyone successfully deleted the traction control on a GSh even after stomping on it?

Think of how expensive the parts are in that car. You think the manufacturer would allow the rear end to get full power from both engines at launch. The rising rate of the kW meter shows that the computer is raising the power as the car gains speed.

Quick Reply: APEXi Throttle Controller for GS450h