Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Safety Recall BLD -Intelligent Power Module (IPM) Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-12, 05:04 PM
carbon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobgailw
Just got the "interim" recall announcement from Lexus. They said they might be ready with the recall in January, 2012. In the event the inverter fails, they indicated they would repair it at no charge to the owner. I wonder who pays the towing when the car breaks down due to the inverter failing and you are 150 miles from a dealer? (think Alligator Alley in Florida) With over 100k miles on the RX400H, the inverter failure possibilities are my "sword of Damocles" ready to swing over my head.
According to the recall letter, they suggest to regularly confirm that the coolant level in the inverter coolant reservoir is between FULL ad LOW, and if the coolant level is below LOW line, add coolant up to the FULL line. In may case, the coolant level just happned to be below LOW.
Can anybody adivse what kind of coolant I can purchase to add ?
Thanks in advance for your reply.
Old 01-16-12, 05:22 PM
riwyle
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carb on
According to the recall letter, they suggest to regularly confirm that the coolant level in the inverter coolant reservoir is between FULL ad LOW, and if the coolant level is below LOW line, add coolant up to the FULL line. In may case, the coolant level just happned to be below LOW.

I wouldn't spend any money on it. Take it in and have Lexus fill it.
Old 01-16-12, 07:10 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by carbon
The recall concerns an internal circuit board, so if you are low on inverter coolant, there can only be one reason - a leak. They just mention keeping the level at full for proper cooling.

See this post of mine at

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...pic=60231&st=0

The first pictures I posted there were an inverter leak, however, pay particular attention to the pictures in post #22 (I suffered thorugh both leaks and required a new inverter first, and then months later, the second leak which required a new transaxle). That particular leak (the transaxle) can also lead to low inverter coolant and it's harder to spot than the leak in the first pictures (inverter leak) in that post. You can use a flashlight and aim look for the same spot as in the pictures in post #22.

If you are still within the powertrain warranty, it's covered. The hybrid warranty does not cover the transaxle if it's leaking, but will cover the inverter. If you have an extended warranty, you're covered (that's what I had and it saved me about $5500 for the new tranny.
Old 01-26-12, 05:57 PM
autox250
Driver

Originally Posted by Iluvlexus
Autox250: Would you kindly run my part#/serial # thru your databank to see if I qualify?

part # 69200 48031
serial # OK23YMO36

Thanks
Scott
The IPM should be replaced based on the inverter serial#

Inverter Serial Number: OK23YM036
Old 01-26-12, 05:58 PM
autox250
Driver

Originally Posted by carbon
Take it in or buy the super long life coolant, (pink), it has a a yellow cap on the bottle
Old 01-26-12, 06:01 PM
autox250
Driver

Originally Posted by autox250
The IPM should be replaced based on the inverter serial#

Inverter Serial Number: OK23YM036
Thanks for supplying the part # along w the serial, if anyone else would like to know post ur info
Old 01-27-12, 08:58 PM
rog1206
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by autox250
Thanks for supplying the part # along w the serial, if anyone else would like to know post ur info
autox250,

Can you check 0D07WA087?
Old 01-29-12, 05:31 PM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rcy
The recall concerns an internal circuit board, so if you are low on inverter coolant, there can only be one reason - a leak. They just mention keeping the level at full for proper cooling.

See this post of mine at

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums...pic=60231&st=0

The first pictures I posted there were an inverter leak, however, pay particular attention to the pictures in post #22 (I suffered thorugh both leaks and required a new inverter first, and then months later, the second leak which required a new transaxle). That particular leak (the transaxle) can also lead to low inverter coolant and it's harder to spot than the leak in the first pictures (inverter leak) in that post. You can use a flashlight and aim look for the same spot as in the pictures in post #22.

If you are still within the powertrain warranty, it's covered. The hybrid warranty does not cover the transaxle if it's leaking, but will cover the inverter. If you have an extended warranty, you're covered (that's what I had and it saved me about $5500 for the new tranny.
Thanks for posting this. I just checked the areas shown in post #22 and my transaxle has a small leak. It must have just started because I have a 3" stain in the garage floor. I am pretty glad I got the extended warranty now. I just got the IPM done 2 weeks ago. I wish they had noticed this then. Our 06 has 67k miles on it.
Old 01-29-12, 08:02 PM
rcy
Lead Lap

It's such a hard area to see that most people wouldn't know if this was leaking or not. I bet if everyone had a look at that spot, there'd be a lot more discoveries of leaking transaxles.
Old 01-31-12, 07:50 AM
Iluvlexus
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A question about the IPM replacement. Do they dissemble the inverter? Coolant flush? Will they repair or reseal the seam where some have noted the coolant leak from the inverter? Can anyone describe the repair? Thanks. Scott
Old 01-31-12, 10:46 AM
rcy
Lead Lap

A question about the IPM replacement. Do they dissemble the inverter? Coolant flush? Will they repair or reseal the seam where some have noted the coolant leak from the inverter? Can anyone describe the repair? Thanks. Scott
If you are talking about the seam in post 22 in thread I posted above, that is NOT the inverter leaking - it is the transaxle leaking. Should be a warranty issue if you still have warranty (and it's the powertrain warranty or extended warranty not the hybrid components warranty).

If you have a leak like the first pictures I posted in that same thread referred to above, then it is an inverter leak and should be replaced under hybrid warranty.

Not sure about what they do for the IPM recall - if it just involves replacing a circuit board, then there would be no need to replace the coolant or disassemble the inverter (I think the circuit board is right there when the inverter cover is removed. If they replace the whole inverter, then yes, you would get new coolant.
Old 01-31-12, 10:50 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

IPM replacement sounds pretty simple. The inverter is not opened. The coolant is not drained or flushed. They simply unbolt the hybrid coolant tank and pull it off to the side (with hoses still connected) to give them room to work.

The leak i have is unrelated to the IPM replacement. A seal inside the transmission is leaking coolant that goes to the electric motor. The fix is to replace the transaxle.

There are 2 types of rare leaks that RX400s can get. The first one is the inverter seal which leaks up top. The 2nd one is the is the transaxle seal which leaks lower in engine compartment.
Old 01-31-12, 10:59 AM
smassey321
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rcy
It's such a hard area to see that most people wouldn't know if this was leaking or not. I bet if everyone had a look at that spot, there'd be a lot more discoveries of leaking transaxles.
Looking under the engine this is very easy to find. It leaves about 12" of pink crust along the bottom of the transaxle. The first pic is from under the car. The second was taken from the top.
Attached Thumbnails Safety Recall BLD -Intelligent Power Module (IPM) Replacement-291.jpg   Safety Recall BLD -Intelligent Power Module (IPM) Replacement-289.jpg  
Old 01-31-12, 12:28 PM
autox250
Driver

Originally Posted by rog1206
autox250,

Can you check 0D07WA087?
I need the part # above it as well
Old 01-31-12, 12:30 PM
autox250
Driver

To those of you that have a coolant leak after the recall, inspect the two ports on the reservoir undernearth. Its easy to damage the reservoir when its pulles to the side. Its held by two 10mm bolt, easy access

Quick Reply: Safety Recall BLD -Intelligent Power Module (IPM) Replacement