Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 3GS forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation GS models.
Old 12-16-14, 11:44 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

please help me with choosing Brake disc on gs 450h

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-11, 11:51 PM
Olzhas05
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help me with choosing Brake disc on gs 450h

Hello, guys!

It is first time I am changing brake discs or rotors on my Gs 450h. So i have question for you guys who know something about that. What would you recommend to buy? because now i have OE brake discs and I am not fully satisfied with them. They get overheated really easy because i live on mountains. Now i am thinking to buy some more effective discs. what will be your recommendations?
Old 06-08-11, 11:26 AM
LexFather

Here goes
1. Nothing beats a true BBK....Endless, Rotara, F-sport, Stoptech, IS F brakes, Brembo..etc...
2. If you want to keep stock size rotors your best bet is upgrade your pads and brake fluid. ATE Super Blue is popular. Move up from Dot 3 fluid).
3. OEm size slotted/drilled discs don't really help with performance, they do look better to most people.
Old 06-08-11, 08:37 PM
Olzhas05
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot. I will keep it on mind.

But also i am gonna change rotors anyway. So I am thinking what to buy. Buy again OEM rotors or something better. Coz i am not really intended to buy all package with calipers and so on. What is best solution for me?
Old 06-09-11, 09:38 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

oem rotors should be fine if you are not looking to get better braking performance. having said that, make sure you bed your new rotors properly so you don't prematurely warp your rotors. see link below for more info:

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
Old 06-09-11, 11:42 PM
Olzhas05
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot for info. really useful to know!

I will consider that. Also i have a question about rear rotors. Are they ventilated?
Also nowadays i have some scratching noise when i am braking in low speed. The most problem which i have and why i was intended to change rotors is that when brakes get really hot ( usually when braking form 130 m/h) at the end braking ends not so smoothly as it used to be. what can u recommend me to do?
Old 06-10-11, 01:11 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Olzhas05
Also nowadays i have some scratching noise when i am braking in low speed. The most problem which i have and why i was intended to change rotors is that when brakes get really hot ( usually when braking form 130 m/h) at the end braking ends not so smoothly as it used to be. what can u recommend me to do?
you should have no scratching noise when you brake at low speed. maybe squeaks (there is a TSB for squeaky brakes), but not scratching noise. have you checked your brake pads to make sure that they are not worn out? if your pads are worn out, the sound you hear is a warning that you need to replace your brake pads immediately.

based on what you've told us so far, i think it's your brake pads that may need replacing. if you are braking from 130 mph to stop (and you do this frequently), you are definitely chewing up your brake pads very quickly!

if braking from 130 mph is important in the way you drive your car, you definitely need performance brake kits like f-sport or stoptech bbk.

but bbk is big money; if budget is tight, go with new oem brake pads or aftermarket performance brake pads. here are a couple aftermarket brake pads that you can consider:

hawk: http://www.hawkperformance.com/
ebc: http://www.ebcbrakes.com/
endless: http://www.endlessusa.com/
akebono: http://www.akebonobrakes.com/

see this link on brake pad comparison between oem vs aftermarket performance: http://www.autoanything.com/articles...termarket.aspx

you should decide for yourself whether you want to resurface (or turn) your rotors when replacing new brake pads. read this link and see whether it is applicable to you:

link: http://autos.yahoo.com/maintain/repa...ques007_3.html

Last edited by Stormforge; 06-10-11 at 01:22 AM.
Old 06-10-11, 01:27 AM
Olzhas05
Driver School Candidate

I have done resurfacing of the rotors and replaced pads with OEM from the dealership about month ago. So pads are almost new and everything seems to be good. but those not smooth end of braking annoys me a lot.

Today i have checked Stoptech rotors on ebay and front and rear rotors will be costing around 600 USD. But still I dont know what will be better.

About my driving... I am usually speeding in the morning because I mostly drive down hill and I live in mountainy place.

Thank you guys for your advices.

PS I am really glad that i registered in this forum.
Old 12-02-13, 04:47 AM
sellomap
Driver School Candidate

Guys,

I am in South Africa. Can you please tell me if the brake pads for 2008 GS450h SE are unique or they are the same with those of other GS models? Please advise.

thanks
Old 01-23-14, 11:40 AM
Vas
Driver School Candidate

Default Help with changing

Hey guys I was just wondering is changing the GS450H brake discs and pads the same as that of a usual car? or is there any special tool or tricks required?

Just wanted to know before jacking it up and trying it.
Old 02-10-14, 06:02 AM
Speedy0o
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No special tools required as such, just the same as most other car brakes. The front's being 4 piston calipers can be a pain as in when squeezing 1 side back (2 of the pistons) it tends to force the other side out more, what I did when changing mine was to squeeze the old pads back with some medium water pump pliers/pipe grips, leave 1 old pad in and slot the new pad in on the squeezed back side , then squeeze the other old pad back as it'll be forcing on the new pad making it easier. Other wisee if you remove both brake pads you will struggle big time trying to get both new pads in as the opposite pistons will constantly be moving about! Not sure I explained this very well but I tried :P

Oh and use a flat blade screw driver and clear all of the brake dust and crap from where the pads slide in, and grease the edges of the pad where it touches the caliper, should make installing the pads a lot easier, or you'll have to force them in which isn't good at all!!!

Last edited by Speedy0o; 02-10-14 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-17-14, 11:27 AM
Vas
Driver School Candidate

THank you very much or your help ,, with it **** hybrid I thought it might be diffren to normal cars.. I will change them myself now after your help