Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

whats your mpg on RX450h?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-18, 07:02 AM
paperthin
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by riredale
Every modern engine is designed to be able to slightly retard the spark advance if it senses pinging due to lowered octane. If the engine is set for premium fuel, then it will achieve a bit more horsepower and economy on premium; it will still run happily on regular, just not be quite as good with the numbers.

On my 2010 RX450h I use nothing but regular, and engine is perfectly fine. Mileage is in the high-20s for both city and highway (once the engine is warmed up).
Exactly what he said. We do get high 20s in winter and low 30s in summer though.
Old 03-02-18, 09:26 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

I just hit 61K miles............. for some reason, my last 4 fill ups have gone up in MPG. My usual 25 mpg is now hitting 25.5 mpg. this is with frigid (for CA) winter temps and running heater in the morning and relatively lower tire pressure (35 in front and 32 in the rear).....
Old 03-15-18, 05:58 PM
Gampa
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After 65K my average mileage has dropped below 25,0. It has slowly dropped from an average 27.0, with as much as 30 + on long trips. I have used regular gas all of her life.

I have read on the Toyota Highlander Forum web site that they are required to change spark plugs at 60k. for engines 2GR-FKS.

I recently read a short-cut method, from YouTube, on a way of removing the wiper blade unit and plastic catch basen for access to the 3 rear plugs and coils, seemed like an easier way to remove the rear coils and plugs and he claims it takes about two hours.

I am wondering if changing the spark plugs and coils will increase the mileage back to when I first bought the car. I probably will also change the red antifreeze coolant... and that would complete my 60,000 redue.

The 6 coils I am looking at are from Amazon for about $90, unless someone can convince me otherwise... and the plugs will be Denso Iridium number 3426 from Advanced Auto for 10.50 less 20 %.

What do you Think?

I read people are getting 2-3 more mpg.
Old 03-15-18, 07:40 PM
gadgetman1
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Gampa
After 65K my average mileage has dropped below 25,0. It has slowly dropped from an average 27.0, with as much as 30 + on long trips. I have used regular gas all of her life.

I have read on the Toyota Highlander Forum web site that they are required to change spark plugs at 60k. for engines 2GR-FKS.

I recently read a short-cut method, from YouTube, on a way of removing the wiper blade unit and plastic catch basen for access to the 3 rear plugs and coils, seemed like an easier way to remove the rear coils and plugs and he claims it takes about two hours.

I am wondering if changing the spark plugs and coils will increase the mileage back to when I first bought the car. I probably will also change the red antifreeze coolant... and that would complete my 60,000 redue.

The 6 coils I am looking at are from Amazon for about $90, unless someone can convince me otherwise... and the plugs will be Denso Iridium number 3426 from Advanced Auto for 10.50 less 20 %.

What do you Think?

I read people are getting 2-3 more mpg.
This is my first hybrid & I don’t know much about what causes the fuel mileage to drop. I’m disappointed in my fuel mileage, but I’m not upset. It’s still not bad for an SUV. I think changing your plugs, wires & coils is worth a shot. I don’t think it would lower your fuel mileage. Have you checked your front & rear alignment? That can make a big difference! Also correct tires & tire pressure is essential. Let us know how it goes.
Old 03-17-18, 06:39 AM
Gampa
Rookie

Originally Posted by gadgetman1

This is my first hybrid & I don’t know much about what causes the fuel mileage to drop. I’m disappointed in my fuel mileage, but I’m not upset. It’s still not bad for an SUV. I think changing your plugs, wires & coils is worth a shot. I don’t think it would lower your fuel mileage. Have you checked your front & rear alignment? That can make a big difference! Also correct tires & tire pressure is essential. Let us know how it goes.
I have done a little research and asked my master mechanic and this is what I found.

First.. I did have an all wheel alignment last year and I do keep my pressure at 35, which increases to 37 as it warms up but.... it is winter and I do use my remote starter a lot so that could also affect the milage.

Second... I did learn that Denso (Japanese products) are OEM. Considering the amount of time to remove the rear coils and plugs, I decided to replace the back three ignition coils with quality OEM Denso coils and six Denso iridium plugs. I wil do this hopefully once and try to get another 50k out of it. A loss of mpg could be spark plugs need replaced.
So the coils are on order and once I get a free day, I’ll post the results.

also to note... I have read of ignition coil failure at 65,000. Ouch ! If you get a CEL of p3—, caution, unburned gas in the CAT could cause a partial or complete converter melt down failure and give you another $800 bill.
Old 03-17-18, 11:11 AM
riredale
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

As for plugs and other items, I would follow what it says in the book. And I imagine if a plug is consistently misfiring you will know about it immediately as the computer will throw a code and turn on the Check Engine light.

As for mileage, my impression is that the #1 thing that just kills mileage is engine warmup. If I do nothing but a bunch of short 10-minute trips starting with a cold engine every time, my mileage will be no better than in the teens. Once warmed up, however, mileage in the high-20s.
Old 04-07-18, 08:17 PM
joeyLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently purchased a 2012 450h with about 75k miles. Driving in the (northern, cold) city and so far through a quarter of a tank have been averaging just over 20 MPG. This is mostly with Eco Mode engaged. Should I be concerned? This is barely beating our 2011 RX 350.

Thanks!
Old 06-23-18, 07:35 AM
CNickyD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My does my gas fill up give me less miles?

I have a 2015 RX450h with about 52K mikes on it. When I first got it in 2014, after filling the tank, the “number of miles to go” was 475. Then months later it became 425. Ok, still good. But then that number became 375, and now when I fill up, it’s 325. So that’s all the miles I get out of one tank.

Mentioned it several times to the dealer, but they have no solutions. What’s going on??
Old 07-12-18, 09:04 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

for the first time ever, with 3 miles of range remaining, I was able to fill 16.2 gallons at the gas station. this still leaves 3 gallons of "safety" as our capacity is 19.2 gallons. Has anyone ever filled up with more than 17 gallons? Is it even possible?
Old 07-12-18, 09:32 AM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by MellonC00
for the first time ever, with 3 miles of range remaining, I was able to fill 16.2 gallons at the gas station. this still leaves 3 gallons of "safety" as our capacity is 19.2 gallons. Has anyone ever filled up with more than 17 gallons? Is it even possible?
I would guess 19.2 is the nominal capacity that the marketing guys use, 16.2 is closer to the usable capacity, and the actual capacity is somewhere in between them.

FWIW, I try to always keep at least half a tank under the theory that a fuel pump submerged in gas will benefit from the additional cooling and lubrication that may be provided. I have no actual data that this makes a difference or not, but, I also have never had to replace an electric in tank fuel pump on any vehicle I've own in the last 35 years.
Old 07-12-18, 09:59 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 602 Likes on 422 Posts

19.2G is the RX350 tank capacity. The RX450h specs indicate a tank capacity of 17.1USG / 65L When the warning comes on, I can usually put in about 55 to 57 L.
Old 07-12-18, 03:27 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Droid13
19.2G is the RX350 tank capacity. The RX450h specs indicate a tank capacity of 17.1USG / 65L When the warning comes on, I can usually put in about 55 to 57 L.
I was mistaken. Yes. it is 17.2 according to the book. I was actually close to running out, I guess.
Old 07-13-18, 12:23 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,103 Likes on 992 Posts

I was mistaken. Yes. it is 17.2 according to the book. I was actually close to running out, I guess.
A big for hybrids.

Salim
Old 08-05-18, 08:49 PM
TommyTT
Driver

Originally Posted by CNickyD
I have a 2015 RX450h with about 52K mikes on it. When I first got it in 2014, after filling the tank, the “number of miles to go” was 475. Then months later it became 425. Ok, still good. But then that number became 375, and now when I fill up, it’s 325. So that’s all the miles I get out of one tank.

Mentioned it several times to the dealer, but they have no solutions. What’s going on??
try an ISC reset procedure to reset the battery charging logic. When you reset the ISC, you idle around and drain the battery until the engine comes on, then shut the car down. You turn off all accessories and climate control (nothing electronic should be on). Put the car in run mode (start it), press the brake pedal, put the car in drive, then while holding the brake pedal down, press the accelerator pedal down.

The car will not move or rev much, but the engine will be on and start charging. Keep the gas pedal down for 40 seconds, then release it for a few moments, then down again for 40 seconds and keep doing that 40 on/10 off etc until the battery is fully charged (all green) and the engine no longer charges or revs slightly when you press the gas pedal down. Of course you're holding the brake pedal down all the time while doing this.

Shut down, put your accessories back where you want them, then you can start up and go anytime. Learn about pulse driving to maximize your mileage going forward.
Old 09-30-18, 07:06 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 602 Likes on 422 Posts
Default Rats! Almost...

The last couple of weeks I've been flirting with a new tank record. Best previous was 7.4L/100km (31.8mpg) around same time last year. I don't know what it is about this time of year, but I find its the best for mpg. This last tank the readout has been meandering between 7.5 and 7.3 (31.4 to 32.2mpg) mostly. About a third of a tank in I was actually at 7.2 (32.7) and was holding at 7.3 by the halfway point. I thought for sure I'd make it. But the last few days turned a bit cooler than optimum, and on the last day the wife decided to use the RX to take a bunch of friends to lunch and brought it back empty at 7.5. Oh well, it was a good run which included passing through 190,000km (118,000mi)

Quick Reply: whats your mpg on RX450h?