ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid Technology (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology-213/)
-   -   whats your mpg on RX450h? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology/490614-whats-your-mpg-on-rx450h.html)

LexFather 08-02-09 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by kitlz (Post 4730064)
Yes, it's a bummer I can't take advantage of the incentive programs. But fortunately for me, my dealer always gives me a great discount and a fair amount to trade in my old RX. That I can count on. Buying an American car, or any other car for that matter, is out of the question. I turned in a 1997 Ford Explorer Sport LEMON (yes, official - I went to court -lawyer, expert witness and all) and into my 99 RX almost 11 years ago. I have no regrets.

I'd rather buy a car from a company that believes in innovation and not the same ol', same ol'. Lexus continually gets better and better. Yes, American cars have gotten a bit better too but they had to have the government bail them out. Excuse my French but WTF? It doesn't look good based on all of your comments. Sorry, I avoid reading about all of these things in depth because it's so annoying, IMHO.

Lexus quality and reputation is unbelievable - hence the quote in my signature...

Nuff said!

:woot::woot::thumbup:

barbaresh 08-03-09 06:52 PM

Update:

Mileage-our last fill showed a respectable 27.9 miles per gallon combined and subsequently we have been averaging 31.9 mph-so our mileage has increased pretty dramatically as a result of 1) car "breaking in" and 2) we are driving sensibly and are not concerned about others in our crazy Southern California neighborhood who pressure us to accelerate just so we can stop at the next red light. How much of our increased mileage is based on driving habits compared to the car wearing in is anybody's guess. However, my sister did accuse me of driving like an old lady yesterday(I do not mean to offend old ladies, just sharing her sentiment) because of the way I drove.

So we get to our destination 5 minutes later-big deal

kyo7878 03-25-10 06:21 AM

whats your mpg on RX450h?

I just got through my 2nd tank of gas & to my surprise I've averaged 30mpg for both tanks (calculated). I do about 50% city 50% highway daily & occasional spirited driving~

Just wanted to know whats everyone averaging in their 450h. I feel theres a potential to go above 30mpg if I really watch my speed & acceleration etc.

RXSF 03-27-10 12:31 AM

glad to hear it. Everytime I have told somebody I am looking at the 450 (service advisors and lexus employees included), they sayd "its just powerful, you dont save a lot of gas"...

kind of bothers me because I am not looking to save money or gas, but its still a bonus.

psu77 03-27-10 04:11 AM

I have almost 5,000 miles on my 450h and we have averaged 30 mpg (50/50 city and highway driving). Our old RX300 average 19-20 mpg.

kyo7878 03-27-10 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by RXSF (Post 5349671)
glad to hear it. Everytime I have told somebody I am looking at the 450 (service advisors and lexus employees included), they sayd "its just powerful, you dont save a lot of gas"...

kind of bothers me because I am not looking to save money or gas, but its still a bonus.

haha, i got similar reaction when i asked about 450h~

Originally Posted by psu77 (Post 5349793)
I have almost 5,000 miles on my 450h and we have averaged 30 mpg (50/50 city and highway driving). Our old RX300 average 19-20 mpg.

thats great to know, i have always wondered if mpg# would be higher after a break-in period~

ziggy1 03-27-10 11:24 AM

I've still got less than 1000 miles on mine, but have gone as high as 33 mph lots of country roads, hilly, with some 65 mph on highways. The warming temperatures have helped a lot, before I rarely broke 30, but that was also in the snow (where it did great).

OC-ISF 03-31-10 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by kyo7878 (Post 5343866)
I just got through my 2nd tank of gas & to my surprise I've averaged 30mpg for both tanks (calculated). I do about 50% city 50% highway daily & occasional spirited driving~

Just wanted to know whats everyone averaging in their 450h. I feel theres a potential to go above 30mpg if I really watch my speed & acceleration etc.

Wow, what great mileage you guys are getting! I'm getting an average of 25 mpg and I have over 1000 miles. Maybe time to rethink my driving habits!

PatsSoxfan 04-07-10 09:07 PM

My wife and I just got back from a round trip from central IA to the Detroit area and back. The total distance was about 1,300 miles. The average mpg for the total trip was right at 28 mpg. At times I was going as fast as 75-76 mph but most of the time the speed was around 67-70 mph.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that THE two biggest factors for gas mileage are temperatures and wind (direction and speed). Pretty much everyone now knows that very cold and or very hot temperatures greatly affect gas mileage. However, I don't think everyone realizes the importance of the wind speed and direction. A very strong cross wind (say around 20-30 mph) really diminishes gas mileage. I have first hand experience with this effect today on our drive back. I stopped near Joliet, IL to fill up with gas. I noticed that my gas mileage after refill was steadily climbing and reached a peak of 31 mph driving at about 70 mph heading west on I-80. The wind during this time was straight out of the east at 15-20 mph. After we reached far western IL, the wind shifted to strong northerly at 20-30 mph with stronger gusts. The gas mileage since refill then instantly started to drop. By the time we got home in central IA, the gas mileage since refill dipped all the way down to 27.6 mpg. The wind was strong from the north (cross wind) all the way from far western IL until we got home. That was distance of about 200 miles. As stated above, the average for the entire round trip was about 28 mpg. BTW, we also had very strong cross winds for about half of the trip on the way to Detroit 8 days ago. The only difference was that those strong winds were from the south. Temperatures were not much of a factor for the trip. Most of the time, temperatures were in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. There was no need for air conditioning.

I am pointing this out since it was an outstanding example of what wind can to to gas mileage.

tnb1 04-11-10 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by RXSF (Post 5349671)

It's both. Your choice. Depends on how you drive it.
Terry

Cruiter 04-12-10 10:39 AM

Sweet octane/temp combo

Today I drove to the other side of the city to see my dad in assisted living. I filled up right after I left the house, 3rd straight tank w/mid-grade 89 octane Shell. I drove 87 miles round trip starting at 72 degrees and it was 81 degrees on return to home. The tires were all reading 38psi after getting warmed up except for one at 37. They are 35 cold. At the halfway point (there), I was reading 34.2 mpg. When I got home, I was reading 33.3mpg. Approx 75 of the miles was on interstate w/constant (North Atlanta area) hills on cruise at 67mph. The rest of the miles were stop and go typical Atlanta traffic. It's the best I've ever done. I had the 10k oil change about 800 miles ago.

At the 10k, I was speaking with the (h) tech and he was telling me of another person complaining at 10k of mileage in the low 20's. Turned out he'd had his 5k oil change done on the road at a Toyota dealer. They checked the records and found out the dealer used a heavier weight oil (he didn't say which one). Now he's reportedly around 29mpg. A good mental note to keep in mind could be if your dealer is not a heavy volume (h) dealer, make sure they use the 0w20w oil on oil changes. It's what our new 'low friction' engines require.

nyranger74 04-12-10 12:12 PM

Im so frustrated with my gas mileage that Im almost ready to get rid of the car.

Cruiter 04-13-10 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by nyranger74 (Post 5395965)
Im so frustrated with my gas mileage that Im almost ready to get rid of the car.

Nyranger
Based on my own mileage since late June of last year and others, and assuming you're not a really bad driver, you might want to go back to the dealer. Ask them to have a look at the car, even ask the G/M to drive it home one night and see what he gets if necessary. Has it been this way since delivery or since your 1st oil change (maybe they used too heavy a weight oil)? But something is definitely out of whack if you don't get upper 20's at least and you're trying to.

Good Luck

SLegacy99 04-17-10 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by OC-ISF (Post 5363830)
Wow, what great mileage you guys are getting! I'm getting an average of 25 mpg and I have over 1000 miles. Maybe time to rethink my driving habits!

We were getting around 24 MPG in our 400h until we reached 5,000 miles. Then things really picked up. Keep workin through that break in period.

Originally Posted by nyranger74 (Post 5395965)

Yes, I would speak to your dealer. As I found out last week with our 400h, everybody should take note of this, our fuel economy was terrible all of the sudden due to a bad 12 Volt battery. The gasoline engine was running, attempting to charge a battery that had a bad cell, thus gas mileage went from a steady 26 MPG to 20 MPG. To clarify I am speaking of your traditional car battery, not the traction battery. Luckily I got ahold of someone at Lexus who was very helpful and was able to speak to me in car language (another dealer treated me like an idiot). Everything was covered under warranty. The point here is that small, unexpected things can go wrong and this tech. is still relatively new. Good to check with the dealer before writing the car off entirely.

ziggy1 05-03-10 11:04 AM

now running over 30 mpg driving predominantly local hilly (not mountainous) terrain on secondary roads 40-60 mph