ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Hybrid Technology (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology-213/)
-   -   whats your mpg on RX450h? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology/490614-whats-your-mpg-on-rx450h.html)

barbaresh 07-18-09 10:07 PM

whats your mpg on RX450h?

We just got the hybrid-first fill-up we only got 24.5 mpg-in mostly city driving-
What other mileage numbers are people getting and does mileage improve?

Any tips for driving a hybrid to improve mileage? Does mileage get better as car gets "worn in?"

RXSF 07-18-09 10:15 PM

mileage usually gets better as the engine breaks in.

in the mean time, try staying the green zone of the tach as long as possible. Coast as long as possible, and only push down on the pedal a little so that the car only uses the electric motors instead of activating the gas engine. and of course, no jack rabbit starts

LexFather 07-18-09 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by barbaresh (Post 4689904)
We just got the hybrid-first fill-up we only got 24.5 mpg-in mostly city driving-

Any tips for driving a hybrid to improve mileage? Does mileage get better as car gets "worn in?"

As stated as the engine wears in, MPG will improve. What kills Lexus hybrids is constant stop and goes. Why? It takes a lot to move the 4100 lbs GS, the 4500 lbs RX and 5000 lbs LS hybrids. I hate having to stop at red lights.:D

Is this your first hybrid? It really takes time to learn how to drive it and get the most out of it. Its fun to me!

Over time, you will get better.:)

barbaresh 07-18-09 10:23 PM

Thanks-yes this is our first hybrid-we had driven the RX400H as a loaner when our GS300 was getting serviced. Though that was great-we feel this model is vastly improved

LexFather 07-18-09 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by barbaresh (Post 4689940)
Thanks-yes this is our first hybrid-we had driven the RX400H as a loaner when our GS300 was getting serviced. Though that was great-we feel this model is vastly improved

My tips....
you should learn how to space yourself out between cars where you don't tap the brake or the accelerator. This is the art of coasting! I've noticed Lexus hybrids coast better than anything short of a 2000 lbs car!
Clearly punching the gas hurts MPG so do it at am minimum.
I've noticed my h really does well when the engine has warmed up. It doesn't get its best MPG cold.
Driving with the windows down on the highway (I would say over 45mph) hurts MPG b/c of drag.
Try to keep complete stops to a minimum.
Keep track of what gas you use (only premium). I have noticed differences in MPG depending on gas (I use Shell).

I never thought I'd have "fun" driving efficiently but that's what I've learned. The forum Priuschat is pretty cool to read as well.

Mike

art123 07-19-09 02:38 AM

I'm getting about 25mpg but that is driving mainly on the turnpike at 90 to 100moh and includes a few jack rabbit starts. If I drove to conserve fuel I could probably get 28mpg.

Cruiter 07-19-09 03:35 AM

After three weeks

Originally Posted by barbaresh (Post 4689904)

Like others have said, it's pretty much the 'art' of driving it. I've learned to use the ECO setting and though it's not always possible when you need to accelerate in traffic try to keep it in the 'green' area as much as possible and burn premium only. Don't worry to much about 'sitting' at traffic lights. It will almost never burn fuel because everything such as a/c, power steering, etc is electric. There is not even a belt. So any extra gas usage is from the getting back to speed.

On the road drag is your biggest enemy so speeds of 60 to 65 will get you 30 plus on the hwy and 70 to 75 will give you the advertised 28 range. See my post https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4677062-post1.html of our trip to FL after 3 weeks of ownership.

I hope you enjoy it as much as we are. It's a wonderful machine.

rxets 07-19-09 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX (Post 4689964)
My tips....
you should learn how to space yourself out between cars where you don't tap the brake or the accelerator. This is the art of coasting! I've noticed Lexus hybrids coast better than anything short of a 2000 lbs car!
Clearly punching the gas hurts MPG so do it at am minimum.
I've noticed my h really does well when the engine has warmed up. It doesn't get its best MPG cold.
Driving with the windows down on the highway (I would say over 45mph) hurts MPG b/c of drag.
Try to keep complete stops to a minimum.
Keep track of what gas you use (only premium). I have noticed differences in MPG depending on gas (I use Shell).

I never thought I'd have "fun" driving efficiently but that's what I've learned. The forum Priuschat is pretty cool to read as well.

Mike

Loving these wordings!!! :thumbup:

* I learned how to drive Toyota/Lexus Hybrid from your previous posts... although I still don't like them, I have to agree these vehicles are goooood... :D

CRB 07-23-09 01:40 PM

There is nothing more annoying than some jerk practicing "the art of coasting" in front of you in a traffic formation, especially when he (or she) is coasting into a "stale" green light and you know that you're the sap who is going to end up being in the pole position at the subsequent red light.

rxets 07-23-09 09:31 PM

I observed a fleet of drivers doing teh similar things, including Hybrid and regular vehicles. This is quite irksome to me. It is very spiteful of anyone to do that. But I can understand everyone has their own ways of driving.

SLegacy99 07-29-09 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX (Post 4689932)
As stated as the engine wears in, MPG will improve. What kills Lexus hybrids is constant stop and goes. Why? It takes a lot to move the 4100 lbs GS, the 4500 lbs RX and 5000 lbs LS hybrids. I hate having to stop at red lights.:D

Lex, I think your GS is a bit different than the RX. I found that our RX (the 400h) does really well in city driving. Usually doing anywhere from 26 (if its cold) to 30 MPG, where Hwy can be from 25 to 29 MPG. I drove all city the other day and I estimated that my consumption for the trip was about 35 MPG.

To the OP, yes as the engine breaks in your mileage will improve. It did for us anyway.

LexFather 07-30-09 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by rxets (Post 4690738)
Loving these wordings!!! :thumbup:

* I learned how to drive Toyota/Lexus Hybrid from your previous posts... although I still don't like them, I have to agree these vehicles are goooood... :D

Thanks! Funny going back into non hybrid cars, it really shows the difference.

Originally Posted by CRB (Post 4703353)
There is nothing more annoying than some jerk practicing "the art of coasting" in front of you in a traffic formation, especially when he (or she) is coasting into a "stale" green light and you know that you're the sap who is going to end up being in the pole position at the subsequent red light.

No worse than the jerk in the non-hybrid texting, on the phone, eating and doing everything else BUT driving. ;)

Originally Posted by SLegacy99 (Post 4719960)
Lex, I think your GS is a bit different than the RX. I found that our RX (the 400h) does really well in city driving. Usually doing anywhere from 26 (if its cold) to 30 MPG, where Hwy can be from 25 to 29 MPG. I drove all city the other day and I estimated that my consumption for the trip was about 35 MPG.

To the OP, yes as the engine breaks in your mileage will improve. It did for us anyway.

True. The RX gets better City MPG. The GS hates the City:p

Trying to slowly convince the G/F if we need a SUV, then a 400h is in order.:D 450h is nicer but pricier.

Stormforge 07-30-09 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX (Post 4724956)
Trying to slowly convince the G/F if we need a SUV, then a 400h is in order.:D 450h is nicer but pricier.

you know you want it! :D how often can you say, "i have two 450h" :p

kitlz 07-31-09 03:49 PM

What octane level does the manual recommend? I have no problem paying a little extra to get the better mileage.

Cruiter 07-31-09 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by kitlz (Post 4727047)
What octane level does the manual recommend? I have no problem paying a little extra to get the better mileage.

91. And it seems to make enough of a difference, I'll stay with it. Price fluctuates so much anyway, it's just a matter of overcoming it mentally.

kitlz 08-01-09 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cruiter (Post 4727502)
91. And it seems to make enough of a difference, I'll stay with it. Price fluctuates so much anyway, it's just a matter of overcoming it mentally.

Thanks. 93 would be overkill. Who uses that stuff anyway :uh:

When I think about all the cars, pricey and not, that require premium and get about half the mileage of the 450h, now that hurts :egads: I didn't buy the 450h to quibble over an extra dollar or two at the pump. I bought it because I drive mostly on city roads at low speeds, making the hybrid ideal for me. My gas consumption should drop a bit. Less gas = less cost. I haven't looked at the maintenance schedule recently but I recall it costs less to maintain too. Bonus!

Cruiter 08-01-09 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by kitlz (Post 4728130)
Thanks. 93 would be overkill. Who uses that stuff anyway :uh:

When I think about all the cars, pricey and not, that require premium and get about half the mileage of the 450h, now that hurts :egads: I didn't buy the 450h to quibble over an extra dollar or two at the pump. I bought it because I drive mostly on city roads at low speeds, making the hybrid ideal for me. My gas consumption should drop a bit. Less gas = less cost. I haven't looked at the maintenance schedule recently but I recall it costs less to maintain too. Bonus!

Everything you said above is true. I won't see a lower bill this month because we took a trip to FL in it but this next month I expect to. My tank average is pretty consistent at 10mpg higher than when I was doing the same driving in our 2003 RX300.

People talking about the difference between the 350 and 450h will be so long to pay for itself has to be looked at in a different light than that. The total cost of switching cars in same RX model from 03 to 2010 was enough that the small difference between the 350 and 450h smoothed that bump out a lot. Plus one of the features I would have wanted in the 350 if I went that route was expensive and hard to get but standard in the 450h, was VDIM. That reduces the difference even more. Then the additional value that is worth something is knowing that your car is absolutely start of the art and coveted by those pumping with you at the gas pump. And the resale figures of the 400h is already showing additional value down the line.

So, my rational is if you can afford the 350, then a little more for the 450 isn't that much of a jump. If it is too much, then the 350 might be too much of a stretch. I believe that when the battery manufacturing capacity improves enough to meet demand, the (h) models will outsell the same models in gas only. But that's just my opinion and we are all entitled to 'our own' aren't we :)???

Hal56 08-01-09 06:38 AM

depending where you are--you do get different octanes available. Upper midwest has 87/89 and 93 for example.

AZ has 87/89 and either 91 or 92

I used to have a union 76 station near me that offered racing gasoline (why, I have no idea) with 107 octane

Cruiter 08-01-09 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Hal56 (Post 4728192)
depending where you are--you do get different octanes available. Upper midwest has 87/89 and 93 for example.

AZ has 87/89 and either 91 or 92

I used to have a union 76 station near me that offered racing gasoline (why, I have no idea) with 107 octane

Your right on with that. In our area (SE), it's mostly 87/89, & 93 octain. So we either have to buy a rating lower than recommended or a pricier one that's higher.

We need some standardization across the country so folks can pump what they need. For a while there was some talk to standardize the complicated cocktails required in different states that would also drastically reduce the cost of gas. But instead of legislating things our country needs, our lawmakers insist on creating laws and conditions of various descriptions that are not what 'WE' need, but what they think they need to stay in office.

I'm vacillating now whether or not to push the button 'cause I know a fire storm of various political convictions might follow.

Oh well, I'm bored :rolleyes:

PatsSoxfan 08-01-09 12:15 PM

Where I live, we have 87, 89 (10% ethanol), and 91. We had been using the premium 91 octane on our RX450H until the last fill-up. We are trying out the 89 octane with 10% ethanol to see if it makes much difference. I can tell you this much. On my LS460L, I have been filling up with the 89 octane (10% ethanol) for at least one and one half years now. I have tried both the 91 and the 89 and I observed very little difference in gas mileage and no difference in performance. So, my philosophy is, why pay 30 cents per gallon (yes that's the difference between the 89 octane with ethanol and the 91 octane with no ethanol) more for the premium when the 89 octane seems to be just as good.

It will be interesting to see if there is much difference with the two grades of gas on the RX450h.

Hal56 08-01-09 02:03 PM

I normally see a 20 cent difference between "regular" and "premium" (whether 91 or 93).

I wonder if I have 93 and 89--can I alternate fill ups and average out to 91? Does the gas all mix in anyway.

Jim, on the political firestorm- :-) -discussing here will do nothing more than get it off our chests. Politicians individually have their own multi-facited agenda.

But all we have to do to evaluate success of our leadership long term is:

a) look at financial condition of our country
b) look at the loss of esteem
c) the power or influence to lead

it should be like running a business-metrics of success and clean house if things not going well.

The controversies arise cause govt sticks its nose into too many places where there are too many opinions-none particularly wrong except "its not my idea".

But this all gets back to ethanol and even this cash for clunkers thing which is now up to 3 Billion in cost--who pays for that? and since our cars (generally) cost more than 45k we are not eligible. effectively what used to be rebates from GM and Chrysler are now rebates from the taxpayer. If this continues I would think Lexus would be shipping rx's with a certain content to be priced at 44,950. Tail wags the dog and everything becomes less efficient.

And the cash for clunkers merely accelerates sales into this quarter at the cost for sales later this year, much like the post 9/11 deals did.

So, ask this question--if the govt could not figure out the cash for clunkers thing, how the heck are they gonna run GM and Chrysler? Or based on social security mess and medicare and medicaid mess--how is national health care gonna work.

Cruiter 08-01-09 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Hal56 (Post 4728867)
But all we have to do to evaluate success of our leadership long term is:

a) look at financial condition of our country
b) look at the loss of esteem
c) the power or influence to lead

it should be like running a business-metrics of success and clean house if things not going well.

The controversies arise cause govt sticks its nose into too many places where there are too many opinions-none particularly wrong except "its not my idea".

But this all gets back to ethanol and even this cash for clunkers thing which is now up to 3 Billion in cost--who pays for that? and since our cars (generally) cost more than 45k we are not eligible. effectively what used to be rebates from GM and Chrysler are now rebates from the taxpayer. If this continues I would think Lexus would be shipping rx's with a certain content to be priced at 44,950. Tail wags the dog and everything becomes less efficient.

And the cash for clunkers merely accelerates sales into this quarter at the cost for sales later this year, much like the post 9/11 deals did.

So, ask this question--if the govt could not figure out the cash for clunkers thing, how the heck are they gonna run GM and Chrysler? Or based on social security mess and medicare and medicaid mess--how is national health care gonna work.

Hal
You had mentioned in a previous post that you thought we had a lot in common. We certainly think the same way about the shape and condition of our country right now. I come from a Military family and I retired from the Navy. I've seen and heard a lot in life both here and abroad that have given me cause to wonder. But never has my heart and soul hurt so much as it does now when I keep hearing 'our President' apologize for our past and hasn't yet accepted responsibility for the present. At the end of his term he will still be blaming our present and future deficit on the past administration. Can you tell me why we haven't pursued more natural gas exploration to become totally independent. We have enough available now to provide all we can use in clean energy long past our lives and our childrens. If a conversion kit was made available to modify my 450h at a reasonable price I'd convert in a heartbeat and have a low pressure natural gas fill device on my garage wall to top off every night. You can lock in now at well below the equivalent of a dollar a gallon.

You placed the ramp for this podium, now help me off pls :)

Hal56 08-01-09 08:01 PM

Jimmy, ya got to have venues to blow the steam off.

One reason I am upset is we cannot get money on our RX purchases cause the limit is 45000, and thru the now 3 billion made available in the clunker program, taxpayers in general are footing the bill. My trade in is a clunker -a 99 explorer that is on its last legs. My ford dealer cannot fix the car since the part is not made anymore (yeah-10 year old explorer) and he does not want to try to fix it as he thinks it will stop working if he takes a crack at it (rusted out and broken motor mount) . In addition explorers could be cannibalized but under the clunker system they are wrecked in total--no canibalization. FUBAR

Do we all qualify as "rich" merely because we are buying a 45k car?

I think we are "smart" and finding a way to stretch our money by buying a hybrid made that should last a while (not to mention safety features even if the paint is soft). And on the 350, judging by the past experiences on the RX people have been very very happy.

So I will hold my nose since I have no way of changing the system other than voting the SOB's out of office.

But every once in a while ya have to piss and moan. Since this is a 450h Hybrid forum, I feel we can P&M specifically about buying smart and getting short changed. With our tax money.

Hal56 08-01-09 10:18 PM

here is an article about cash for clunkers from an investment blog based on an Edmunds article--I apologize for placing it in this tread but it does affect most of the RX lineup which is a rather popular line for Lexus. In any event, it appears that this is another govt waste of money except we can't get any of it--and I wonder how many rx sales were lost by folks switching to something less expensive. I have stuck with my decision but 4500 is a lot of money.

The article:

The "Cash for Clunkers" program has been a "great success", at least according to the government, and the auto industry. Within days of its kickoff, all $1 billion allocated to the program has been used up by Americans who have eagerly lined up to trade their clunkers for new vehicles.

Some refreshingly honest reporting has come from Edmunds.com, a car buying site that is telling the truth, in spite of benefiting from an increase in business and site traffic, due to the program. According to Edmunds, about 200,000 old low mileage cars would normally be traded in, every 3 months, in exchange for more efficient higher mileage cars, without this program.

The highest rebate is $4,500, and the lowest is $3,500. If everyone qualified for $4,500 per vehicle, about 222,000 vehicles would have just taken advantage of the government's money. At $3,500, 286,000 vehicles will have been sold.

I assume that, given all the raving, the government will eventually get around to assigning more money. It will take at least 2 or 3 months for the legislation to work its way through Congress. Meanwhile, if all buyers have qualified for the higher $4,500 rebate, the "cash for clunkers" program will mean a marginal increase in car sales of 22,000 this quarter. $1 billion divided by 22,000 means a net cost to the government of $45,354 per car.

If all buyers only qualify for the $3,500 rebate, it means a marginal increase in sales of about 86,000, or a net cost to the taxpayers of $11,628 per vehicle. In all likelihood, however, there will probably be a mix of vehicles qualifying for various rebates between $3,500 and $4,500. Based upon that assumption, Edmunds.com estimates that the average cost to the taxpayer will be about $20,000 per vehicle.

Even most of the marginally extra sales really represent people who were going to buy a new car eventually anyway. They are just buying a bit sooner than they expected. Old clunkers don't last forever, and they are almost all eventually replaced. The government is shifting tomorrow's demand to today, stealing from tomorrow to pay for today, but at great cost to the taxpayer.

The "cash for clunkers" program is yet another boondoogle - an expensive waste of precious taxpayer dollars. Government spending should be reined in, in light of the multi-trillion dollar unsustainable deficits that this nation now faces. However, if we must increase government spending, the money would be better spent on infrastructure and education improvements that might help bring jobs back to America, and encourage long term growth, rather than cosmetic improvements to the short term earnings of makers of high mileage automobiles, many of which are foreign companies.

This government is, unfortunately, a reflection of the current state of economic immaturity that prevails in America. The vast majority of people, including most people in Congress, do not understand the forces that drive the real economy, and see only the short term view. That is how they get manipulated into allowing the Federal Reserve to behave like a slush fund for big banks, passing programs like TARP into law, and enacting programs like "cash for clunkers" which all abuse the taxpayers.

kitlz 08-02-09 06:50 AM

Yes, it's a bummer I can't take advantage of the incentive programs. But fortunately for me, my dealer always gives me a great discount and a fair amount to trade in my old RX. That I can count on. Buying an American car, or any other car for that matter, is out of the question. I turned in a 1997 Ford Explorer Sport LEMON (yes, official - I went to court -lawyer, expert witness and all) and into my 99 RX almost 11 years ago. I have no regrets.

I'd rather buy a car from a company that believes in innovation and not the same ol', same ol'. Lexus continually gets better and better. Yes, American cars have gotten a bit better too but they had to have the government bail them out. Excuse my French but WTF? It doesn't look good based on all of your comments. Sorry, I avoid reading about all of these things in depth because it's so annoying, IMHO.

Lexus quality and reputation is unbelievable - hence the quote in my signature...

Nuff said!

Cruiter 08-02-09 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by kitlz (Post 4730064)
Yes, it's a bummer I can't take advantage of the incentive programs. But fortunately for me, my dealer always gives me a great discount and a fair amount to trade in my old RX. That I can count on. Buying an American car, or any other car for that matter, is out of the question. I turned in a 1997 Ford Explorer Sport LEMON (yes, official - I went to court -lawyer, expert witness and all) and into my 99 RX almost 11 years ago. I have no regrets.

I'd rather buy a car from a company that believes in innovation and not the same ol', same ol'. Lexus continually gets better and better. Yes, American cars have gotten a bit better too but they had to have the government bail them out. Excuse my French but WTF? It doesn't look good based on all of your comments. Sorry, I avoid reading about all of these things in depth because it's so annoying, IMHO.

Lexus quality and reputation is unbelievable - hence the quote in my signature...

Nuff said!

Anita
Congratulations on your decision to 'see' and evaluate the market as to what your money is best spent on. You'll have it soon and be another proud parent of Lexus top notch technology. Too often customers fall prey to confusing or misleading add schemes. Like you, my Lexus experience started with the RX300 (03 model) that was bullet proof. It was time to trade up and I had no problem committing to another RX but the 450h this time. I'm very happy I did.

I thought my monthly gas bill might go down, but it's such a joy to drive we've started taking night time drives into the country like my parents used to do. What's up with that ??? :) I'm eating up my savings enjoying the new technology and efficiency.

Hal56 08-02-09 07:24 AM

I'll "fess" up:

in 99 when we bought out 99 Explorer, I first tried to direct my wife to the RX.

She did not like it then.

Now we should be getting our 450h within a week or two.

:-)

( I suppose if we had bought the 99 RX we would not be in so much of a hurry to get a new car)

kitlz 08-02-09 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Cruiter (Post 4730074)
Anita
Congratulations on your decision to 'see' and evaluate the market as to what your money is best spent on. You'll have it soon and be another proud parent of Lexus top notch technology. Too often customers fall prey to confusing or misleading add schemes. Like you, my Lexus experience started with the RX300 (03 model) that was bullet proof. It was time to trade up and I had no problem committing to another RX but the 450h this time. I'm very happy I did.

I thought my monthly gas bill might go down, but it's such a joy to drive we've started taking night time drives into the country like my parents used to do. What's up with that ??? :) I'm eating up my savings enjoying the new technology and efficiency.

Thank you Jim. I admit my experience with Ford was extreme. There are plenty of family and friends that drive non-Lexus vehicles and are happy. Great for them! What I can't accept is the car companies' complacency to do nothing to move forward technologywise. Lexus has always been ahead of the curve. The funny thing is I thought the first RX was butt ugly. But all it took was one drive and I was smitten. My current 04 RX is absolutely beautiful - love, love, love it. The new RX, well, I admit it was not love at first sight. But I have to think back on the original RX, again ahead of its time. The hybrid part makes it pretty exciting too. I'll tell you when I break 30MPG :D

Don't worry about the extra drives. Isn't that why we buy the cars we do ;) The only difference is we can do it much more efficiently. I'll find soon. My baby arrives in the port next Friday.

RXSF 08-02-09 01:38 PM

The way the US rates gasoline is just different from the rest of the world. We still use octane ratings, (here in CA, its 87, 89, and 91), but other countries use the RON rating, in which 95 is equivilent to 91.

Anywhoo...The higher octane you are using, the better your gas mileage and power output should be.

and you do not buy a hybrid to save money, you buy it to be environmentally concious and to extend that lexus like ride even further through better sound isolation and quieter powertrain

LexFather 08-02-09 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Stormforge (Post 4725052)
you know you want it! :D how often can you say, "i have two 450h" :p

I see your thread. :cool::thumbup:

LexFather 08-02-09 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by kitlz (Post 4730064)

Nuff said!

:woot::woot::thumbup:

barbaresh 08-03-09 06:52 PM

Update:

Mileage-our last fill showed a respectable 27.9 miles per gallon combined and subsequently we have been averaging 31.9 mph-so our mileage has increased pretty dramatically as a result of 1) car "breaking in" and 2) we are driving sensibly and are not concerned about others in our crazy Southern California neighborhood who pressure us to accelerate just so we can stop at the next red light. How much of our increased mileage is based on driving habits compared to the car wearing in is anybody's guess. However, my sister did accuse me of driving like an old lady yesterday(I do not mean to offend old ladies, just sharing her sentiment) because of the way I drove.

So we get to our destination 5 minutes later-big deal

kyo7878 03-25-10 06:21 AM

whats your mpg on RX450h?

I just got through my 2nd tank of gas & to my surprise I've averaged 30mpg for both tanks (calculated). I do about 50% city 50% highway daily & occasional spirited driving~

Just wanted to know whats everyone averaging in their 450h. I feel theres a potential to go above 30mpg if I really watch my speed & acceleration etc.

RXSF 03-27-10 12:31 AM

glad to hear it. Everytime I have told somebody I am looking at the 450 (service advisors and lexus employees included), they sayd "its just powerful, you dont save a lot of gas"...

kind of bothers me because I am not looking to save money or gas, but its still a bonus.

psu77 03-27-10 04:11 AM

I have almost 5,000 miles on my 450h and we have averaged 30 mpg (50/50 city and highway driving). Our old RX300 average 19-20 mpg.

kyo7878 03-27-10 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by RXSF (Post 5349671)
glad to hear it. Everytime I have told somebody I am looking at the 450 (service advisors and lexus employees included), they sayd "its just powerful, you dont save a lot of gas"...

kind of bothers me because I am not looking to save money or gas, but its still a bonus.

haha, i got similar reaction when i asked about 450h~

Originally Posted by psu77 (Post 5349793)
I have almost 5,000 miles on my 450h and we have averaged 30 mpg (50/50 city and highway driving). Our old RX300 average 19-20 mpg.

thats great to know, i have always wondered if mpg# would be higher after a break-in period~

ziggy1 03-27-10 11:24 AM

I've still got less than 1000 miles on mine, but have gone as high as 33 mph lots of country roads, hilly, with some 65 mph on highways. The warming temperatures have helped a lot, before I rarely broke 30, but that was also in the snow (where it did great).

OC-ISF 03-31-10 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by kyo7878 (Post 5343866)
I just got through my 2nd tank of gas & to my surprise I've averaged 30mpg for both tanks (calculated). I do about 50% city 50% highway daily & occasional spirited driving~

Just wanted to know whats everyone averaging in their 450h. I feel theres a potential to go above 30mpg if I really watch my speed & acceleration etc.

Wow, what great mileage you guys are getting! I'm getting an average of 25 mpg and I have over 1000 miles. Maybe time to rethink my driving habits!

PatsSoxfan 04-07-10 09:07 PM

My wife and I just got back from a round trip from central IA to the Detroit area and back. The total distance was about 1,300 miles. The average mpg for the total trip was right at 28 mpg. At times I was going as fast as 75-76 mph but most of the time the speed was around 67-70 mph.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that THE two biggest factors for gas mileage are temperatures and wind (direction and speed). Pretty much everyone now knows that very cold and or very hot temperatures greatly affect gas mileage. However, I don't think everyone realizes the importance of the wind speed and direction. A very strong cross wind (say around 20-30 mph) really diminishes gas mileage. I have first hand experience with this effect today on our drive back. I stopped near Joliet, IL to fill up with gas. I noticed that my gas mileage after refill was steadily climbing and reached a peak of 31 mph driving at about 70 mph heading west on I-80. The wind during this time was straight out of the east at 15-20 mph. After we reached far western IL, the wind shifted to strong northerly at 20-30 mph with stronger gusts. The gas mileage since refill then instantly started to drop. By the time we got home in central IA, the gas mileage since refill dipped all the way down to 27.6 mpg. The wind was strong from the north (cross wind) all the way from far western IL until we got home. That was distance of about 200 miles. As stated above, the average for the entire round trip was about 28 mpg. BTW, we also had very strong cross winds for about half of the trip on the way to Detroit 8 days ago. The only difference was that those strong winds were from the south. Temperatures were not much of a factor for the trip. Most of the time, temperatures were in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. There was no need for air conditioning.

I am pointing this out since it was an outstanding example of what wind can to to gas mileage.

tnb1 04-11-10 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by RXSF (Post 5349671)

It's both. Your choice. Depends on how you drive it.
Terry