Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

whats your mpg on RX450h?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-12, 02:31 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobroob
For my 2010 AWD 450h:

20,758 miles, average speed 30, lifetime miles per gallon is 26.7, last tankful was 26.8, 91 octane gasoline, ECO is now permanently off.

To me, the mpg performance is below expectations and in hindsight it might have been better to save the extra dollars that the hybrid cost and instead purchased a non-hybrid.
Same results we have with the same model. Thinking about the same. Still have the ECO on. Why did you turn it off?
Old 08-09-12, 01:49 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRxh
My first Rx was a 2008 400h FWD and I averaged ~28mpg over several thousand miles. I've had my 2013 Rx450h AWD for about 3 weeks / ~ 1000 miles. My best day was 30.4 but it does feel like it's harder to get the kind of mpg I was getting before. I now struggle to get 28 for a given day...so I've stopped tracking by day and will start tracking by fill up. Perhaps it's not broken in yet?

I definitely feel a difference in free wheel coasting with AWD. My 400h seemed like it would coast forever. In my 450h I can feel the drag as soon as I take my foot off the accelerator pedal - much like a traditional tranny. It won't coast even half the distance of my 400h.

Combined mpg is stickered at 29 for AWD. Maybe I just need to figure out how to drive this one. It did take a while to find the sweet spots in my 400h. I could drive 60mph and the mpg meter would consistently show 40mpg on the 400h. On the 450h 60 mph barely shows 25mpg. (Premium ony in the tank thus far)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I'll figure it out!
OK...either I am getting better at driving this thing or it's behaving better after almost 3k miles. My average on the current tank (~ half full) is a bit over 30mpg. I have AC in full Auto mode and seat ventilators on. I will admit the 450h is a bit trickier than my 400h but I'm becoming much happier with its performance.

I'm not sure this made any difference but I did swap the tires from Dunlops to Michelins (both 19" wheels).
Old 08-09-12, 05:57 PM
Bobroob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
Same results we have with the same model. Thinking about the same. Still have the ECO on. Why did you turn it off?
I did not perceive any effect on MPG performance with the ECO on---I believe it makes no difference at all except for throttling down a leadfoot/jackrabbit which I am not---and found that my preference in the responsiveness of the vehicle is more suited to ECO off. More enjoyable to drive with the ECO off, and it's been off for about the last 6,000 miles.
Old 08-09-12, 07:41 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Bob, I totally agree with you, mine's been off now for most of his 40,000 miles. Learning how to drive it is the key and you can do it with out being a hypermiler which is great .
Originally Posted by Bobroob
I did not perceive any effect on MPG performance with the ECO on---I believe it makes no difference at all except for throttling down a leadfoot/jackrabbit which I am not---and found that my preference in the responsiveness of the vehicle is more suited to ECO off. More enjoyable to drive with the ECO off, and it's been off for about the last 6,000 miles.
Old 08-11-12, 09:35 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At just under 3000 miles my average mpg on premium is just over 29. I have gotten as high as 31.1 mpg.
After my last fill-up half a tank my displayed average was 28.6mpg. I drive a 450h AWD.
Old 08-13-12, 09:51 AM
sunnyside
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just at 1500 on the new fwd 2013 450 H. Average around here in ATL. Has been about 28 on premium. We went to the Fla panhandle where there are fewer hills and lights and got 30+ combined. I am beginning to wonder if a K&N filter element would allow the engine to breathe a little better on acceleration. I hVe used them for years and have always found this to work. there just seems to be better low end torque. Any input from other hybrid owners? With all the covering under the hood I'm not sure just where the air filter is located!
Old 08-13-12, 11:59 AM
Cruiter

Bill, welcome to C/L from another Atlanta area owner
The best advice I can give is take it out of ECO and go light on the throttle. But taking it out gives almost 300hp when you really need it .

I had the K&N filter on my 03 RX and the thin oil in the filter messed up my throttle sensor. Was under warranty and they fixed it but recommended taking it out. I'm not sure you really need it with the (h) anyway, the engine runs a lot less. I'm just over 30MPG overall driving with ECO off.
Originally Posted by sunnyside
Just at 1500 on the new fwd 2013 450 H. Average around here in ATL. Has been about 28 on premium. We went to the Fla panhandle where there are fewer hills and lights and got 30+ combined. I am beginning to wonder if a K&N filter element would allow the engine to breathe a little better on acceleration. I hVe used them for years and have always found this to work. there just seems to be better low end torque. Any input from other hybrid owners? With all the covering under the hood I'm not sure just where the air filter is located!
Old 08-13-12, 06:52 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Wow - 2010 RX450 and we are still around 24-26 mpg.. Still have ece on but will take that off. Have never gotten better than 27. It is about time for the 30k maintenance.
Old 08-13-12, 07:21 PM
Cruiter

What are your normal driving conditions? Do you normally drive more than 5 miles per trip or less? Do you accelerate in the green zone or use the available power? Do you drive to a light with power and brake hard or start slowing when you know your going to have to stop? Do you drive over 70MPH? These are all things that can account for your low mileage. You may not be able to do much about short trips, if that's the cause then there's no cure unless you could rearrange your trips to make the longest runs 1st.
Originally Posted by SlvBullet
Wow - 2010 RX450 and we are still around 24-26 mpg.. Still have ece on but will take that off. Have never gotten better than 27. It is about time for the 30k maintenance.

Last edited by Cruiter; 08-13-12 at 07:22 PM. Reason: correction
Old 08-14-12, 02:23 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
What are your normal driving conditions? Do you normally drive more than 5 miles per trip or less? Do you accelerate in the green zone or use the available power? Do you drive to a light with power and brake hard or start slowing when you know your going to have to stop? Do you drive over 70MPH? These are all things that can account for your low mileage. You may not be able to do much about short trips, if that's the cause then there's no cure unless you could rearrange your trips to make the longest runs 1st.
Jim, I've seen several people refer to the green zone...I don't have a green zone on my 2013. It goes from bright blue (Charge) to blue (ECO) to blue dashed (ECO) then white (power). (Both the ECO colors are blue, they just don't show well in this photo.) I assume the green zone is the one between Charge and [upper] ECO?

UPDATE: I just saw a photo of your dash in another post and see that your ECO range is green where the 2013 is a lighter blue!

Last edited by TexasRxh; 08-15-12 at 05:40 AM. Reason: Add new reference to Jim's dash photo. Change photo.
Old 08-20-12, 07:06 AM
sunnyside
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default milage

After just over 2000 miles on the car I find that the computer is pessimistic by about 1-2 mpg. We averaged just under 30mpg on 2 runs from ATL to PCB this month. Around the burbs where I live the car is delivering about 28. There are a lot of stop lights with 45-50 mile speeds in between. I would like to know just what the epa considers city driving. All things considered I am happy with the mileage on the car. It is much improved over the old 4 Runner by almost 10 mpg even if it needs premium.
Old 08-20-12, 07:08 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So this weekend I called a flooring guy to get an estimated and found out he drives an MY06 RX400h. I ask him why would he drive a nice Lexus suv and carry all the flooring samples; he stated that it was the only Hybrid SUV then and so far it has been the most reliable vehicle he ever owned.

So......believe it or not as I did not take a picture......

300,000 + miles
(avg 27 mpg) - topic of this tread
6 sets of tires
normal maintenance
Still on his first hybrid battery.,
Old 08-20-12, 08:31 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

@Cruiter

Many short trips. I do get better mileage than wife but never over 27 ... Stll learning I guess.
Old 09-02-12, 08:17 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Default Doing better

Just had the 30K service and also turn off the ECO mode and turned on the ECO leaf indicator. We are getting 28-29.5 now - perhaps driving more economically but we tried to do that before. I wonder if the lack of power with the ECO mode turned on, causes a lower mileage.
Old 09-03-12, 11:56 AM
RxRPh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RX450h FWD, 29.6 mpg on a 502 mile (round-trip) drive on a mix of mostly flat interstate, rural flat highway but also some single lane highway through hilly country, towns and villages. I largely drove at or a few miles above the speed limit but on occasion I also pushed it to over 100 mph just to see what was what.

I have about 2,000 miles on my vehicle and average mpg for each fill have ticked up from about 22 on my first fill to almost 30 on this last one. Average MPG since purchase is now 27.3.

Quick Reply: whats your mpg on RX450h?