Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Chariot of the Gods-Lexus RX450h

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-09, 06:47 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by art123
The dealer gave me no discount.

He was so dishonest, or rather his firm Autonation is so dishonest, they tried to charge me sales tax on value of my trade in. My wife had to throw a screaming fit to get that removed. I'm filing charges witht he state of Florida for an attempt to illegally collect sales tax.

I'm a Costco member and he is a Costco dealer but I got no Costco discount. I'll complain to Costco.

It was his first one. A second one is due in a day or two. Another dealer contacted me today with another one.

The interior is grey.
Judging from what I've read here and what I've found out in my own dealings, the 450h and Toyota's Prius are two cars being sold throughout North America with no discount. And with gas prices rising, that will probably continue. I'm also a member of COSTCO as well as USAA insurance company that has a discount club. But like COSTCO, they have not been able to secure a discount price anywhere in the country according to a phone conversation yesterday with them. However to have a dealer try to scam you for sales tax fraud and especially a Lexus dealer, it can hurt him more than he'll ever make on it. If you really believe it was intentional, then I suggest you contact Lexus Corporate on their 800 number. That's the kind of thing that could hurt their rep bad and they won't take it lightly if proven. Maybe hurt his future allocation of such a popular car ??? Can you tell us which dealer and city?

I'm retired from the business and it galls me to pay full retail but I understand the market and want to play now. I was told today my the ship with my car came in a day early and it's in 'freight' now so I still don't know if it will be late this week or next Monday. And like you, I'm paying retail. Ughh, but I'm able and I think extra special attention to detail will always be paid to the hybrid production and especially the 1st ones going to market so.....

Oh, now that you've had it for a day and you already had a 400h, what are your 1st impressions of the driving difference ??? I'm betting it's all you hoped for and more.

Last edited by Cruiter; 06-18-09 at 06:55 PM. Reason: grammer
Old 06-18-09, 06:54 PM
Hal56
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

two comments on discounts-

1) american express has a website to get car discountss--there is a $1 discount on the 450h

2) Just got a message from a dealer I had contacted but not followed up on--said not much execess inv on 450h and do not expect discount so if I want one---
Old 06-18-09, 07:14 PM
art123
Driver School Candidate

Sorry I'm such a lousy photographer. The light color in the interior is actually the gray leather, not white. The black did come out correctly. Maybe when my new iphone arrives tomorrow I will be able to take better pictures. I think it does a better job of taking pictures.
Old 06-18-09, 07:25 PM
LexFather

Thanks for the pics. Prius dealers in the South are actually MARKING UP the car (market adjustment) as its a hot seller. The RX 350 is selling hot as well, let alone the 450h.
Old 06-18-09, 07:26 PM
art123
Driver School Candidate

Here is a copy of the e mail where the general manager of the Lexus dealer told me what he was going to do (locations deleted): "do you absolutely have to trade the vehicle? you can go to Carmax and they will give you a formal appraisel as well that we will match less the sales tax." I thought that was great as I know there is no sales tax deleted from the appraised value when you sell your vehicle. I was petrified when I was given a bill of sale to sign that had the value CarMax gave me reduced a thousand dollars for sales tax. Unbelievable.
Old 06-19-09, 06:26 AM
psu77
Rookie

art123, I think I understand Autonation's reasoning and it is not illegal. The car you were trading must have been valued by Carmax at about $16,500 (6% sales tax in FL). If instead you traded that car with Autonation and received $16,500, you would have also saved about $1,000 in sales tax in the trade. The dealer is saying by paying you $15,500 for the trade, you will still save $1,000 in sales tax which in total equals what you were going to get from Carmax (i.e. $16,500).

I've had friends tell me the same thing from other dealers when they got a price from Carmax. This enables the dealer to pick up an extra $1,000 instead of the state. I sold my car to Carmax and didn't waste my time with the dealer.

I think because you made a stink, you saved yourself $1,000.

Last edited by psu77; 06-19-09 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-19-09, 02:34 PM
Cruiter

Default CARMAX got my Lexus

Originally Posted by psu77
art123, I think I understand Autonation's reasoning and it is not illegal. The car you were trading must have been valued by Carmax at about $16,500 (6% sales tax in FL). If you instead you traded that car in with the Autonation Lexus dealer and received $16,500, you would have also saved about $1,000 in sales tax in the trade. The dealer is saying by paying you $15,500 for the trade, you will still save $1,000 in sales tax which in total equals what you were going to get from Carmax (i.e. $16,500).

I've had friends been told the same thing from other dealers when they got a price from Carmax. This enables the dealer to pick up an extra $1,000 instead of the state. I sold my car to Carmax and didn't waste my time with the dealer.

I think because you made a stink, you saved yourself $1,000.
My new 450h should be here from the port on Monday or Tuesday so I took my RX300 '03 vintage in today to be appraised. It only has 60800 miles but I guess the dealer didn't want it. They started me at $10,000 and I calmly said I'd sell it myself but I still want the new car. Between the office and my car the price came up twice in $500 increments. I made them an offer and said if the used car lot wants it call me quick, I'm going out to sell it. HE said try CARFAX and see if they want it. Guess what . They did for $13,000 and they got it. I have the dealer is350 demo and waiting for my car.
ANTICIPATION REINS STILL
Old 06-19-09, 04:23 PM
art123
Driver School Candidate

Every other dealer I've traded with always gave me the advantage of the sales tax reduction. That always accrued to me in past deals I've done, not the dealer.
Old 06-19-09, 08:43 PM
Kyousuke
Driver School Candidate

Very nice car! Looks great in white

Could you actually take a picture of your headlights in the dark? I wanna see how those LEDs look like. Thanks!
Old 06-19-09, 09:07 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kyousuke
Very nice car! Looks great in white

Could you actually take a picture of your headlights in the dark? I wanna see how those LEDs look like. Thanks!
He doesn't have LEDs headlamps.
Old 06-20-09, 02:41 PM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Alleluia! We were told yesterday that our RX450h will be here "any minute". It looks as if it will be ready for us to pick up prior to our departure for Seattle next Friday, June 26th. We probably will not have much chance to drive it before we leave, but it will be great to look forward to it upon our return.

I hope I learn how to post photos of it here once we get back. It should not be rocket science, but if I have trouble, I'm sure you techies will help me out.
Old 06-20-09, 03:03 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Now, PatSoxfan, you really can show us some LEDs pics.... Great!!!
Old 06-20-09, 03:59 PM
Cruiter

Sorry I'm such a lousy photographer. The light color in the interior is actually the gray leather, not white. The black did come out correctly. Maybe when my new iphone arrives tomorrow I will be able to take better pictures. I think it does a better job of taking pictures.
Art, I noticed the roof rails were not in your photos. Did the dealer say anything about installing them? I thought they were standard, correct me if I'm wrong. I guess I need to prep myself for mine not having them.
Old 06-20-09, 04:42 PM
art123
Driver School Candidate

Roof rails are an option. Mine has none. See the configurator at Lexus.com.
Old 06-20-09, 05:20 PM
Cruiter

Roof rails are an option. Mine has none. See the configurator at Lexus.com.
Art
I just checked the new update, roof rails are standard on both fwd and awd models.
Standard Luxury Features RX 450h AWD RX 450h FWD
LUXURY AND CONVENIENCE
SmartAccess [3] [4] with push-button Start/Stop and touch sensors on exterior front-door handles

Dual-zone automatic climate control with interior air filter

Power tilt-and-telescopic steering column

Power windows with one-touch auto open/close feature

Remote-linked opening for windows and available moonroof

Power door locks

Multifunction, in-key remote entry system with rolling-code technology [3]

Electrochromic (auto-dimming) inside rearview mirror

Cruise control

Sliding front center console with storage bin, dual power outlets and pass-through storage

Front and rear cupholders

HomeLink® universal transceiver to operate compatible garage, gate, home lighting and home security systems

Lexus Personalized Settings (LPS) [5] to customize select electronic functions

Illuminated entry system

Accessory power outlet in front center stack, rear console box and rear cargo area

Dual illuminated visor vanity mirrors

Sun visor extensions

Roof rails [6]

Quick Reply: Chariot of the Gods-Lexus RX450h