Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

VAIS SoundLinQ SLi2 iPod Adaptor

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-08, 11:46 AM
Rockville1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default VAIS SoundLinQ SLi2 iPod Adaptor

Has anyone on this forum installed the VAIS SoundLinQ SLi2 (or SLi) iPod Adaptor on their RX yet? It has received good reviews from Mac World and I am planning on purchasing and installing soon. Would like to know what others' experience with this has been.

Here's the VAIS website (note that they have forum for discussing issues):

http://www.vaistech.com/

Here's a Mac World review from Jul 2006 for the SLi (note that the SLi2 has been substantially improved since this article was written):

http://www.macworld.com/article/5158...ndlinqsli.html
Old 01-17-08, 01:41 PM
Toptier
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the SL2i installed in our RX330 and IS350 and love it. No problems at all with the VAIS and it's nice to have 80 gigs of music in the car. You should checkout these threads.
From the RX330 and RX350 Forum
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=VAIS
IS - Second Generation forum
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...highlight=VAIS
Old 01-17-08, 04:09 PM
LEXveryG8
Lexus Champion

i was thinking about the video one (SL2Vi), has anybody installed those on this forum yet?? IMO, you should consider that one. I'm ordering the SL2Vi.
Old 01-17-08, 07:26 PM
Toptier
Pole Position

I installed on in a fellow members IS350. It installs the same as the sl2i with an extra cable that plugs into the nav. It's pretty cool. The only thing is you have to select the movie you want to watch from the ipod, you can't view the list on the nav screen. Also you can't view movies while in motion unless you do the nav hack.
Old 01-18-08, 05:41 AM
Rockville1
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toptier,

Thanks for the feedback and the links - this is very helpful. I am glad to know that you are so pleased with the system. Almost everything I have read has been positive, so I'm definately going to purhcase soon.

My only delimma now is where to place the unit for easy access for firmware updates. The SLi2 is very small, so I think placing the unit in the glove compartment will work (I plan to place the iPod in the glove compartment as well).

I won't be doing the installation myself and don't want to be removing panels for updates.

Thanks again!
Old 01-22-08, 08:00 AM
larrytrk
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockville1
Toptier,

Thanks for the feedback and the links - this is very helpful. I am glad to know that you are so pleased with the system. Almost everything I have read has been positive, so I'm definately going to purhcase soon.

My only delimma now is where to place the unit for easy access for firmware updates. The SLi2 is very small, so I think placing the unit in the glove compartment will work (I plan to place the iPod in the glove compartment as well).

I won't be doing the installation myself and don't want to be removing panels for updates.

Thanks again!
Updates can be done with the adapter which plugs into the ipod connector and converts to USB. This is a $49 option
Old 01-30-08, 07:17 PM
Dahveed
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down Frustrated w/ My SL2Vi

I love it that I can use my iPod in my 2008 Lexus RX350 but I'm pissed that the functionality of the unit is hobbled by the security feature that disables the GPS and the DVD Player when the car is in motion.

For instance, when I am on the screen which shows the song and artist information, everything disappears as soon as the car moves. There's no good reason why I shouldn't be able to see this information while I'm driving! It's just poor design!

Furthermore, when the car is moving, you can't see the folders on your iPod. They all disappear as well. You can switch blindly from one folder to another but that's not much consolation.

I've talked to my dealer, the installer of the unit and to Vaistech. The conclusion that I've come to is that in order for it work properly, I need to override the security feature. This isn't something that the dealer is going to help me with! I just read on another thread that Lockpick 3 (which I was considering) doesn't actually fix the SL2Vi issue! Any ideas??