Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2022 and up NX hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the NX Hybrid models. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other 2nd generation NX models.

Brake Failure 2023 NX450H

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-24, 12:44 PM
davesueled
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Failure 2023 NX450H

I have a Lexus 2023 NX450H with 2800 miles. Ten weeks ago the brakes failed. Fortunately I was able to avoid hitting any other vehicles or people. After traveling for about 20-25 seconds without brakes I chose to crash the car into a concrete bench at 19 mph. Lexus pulled the EDR data from the airbag system (which did not deploy) and said I didn't apply brakes and they were fine. They claim I didn't try to use the brakes to stop and deny responsibility. That response was two months after the accident. It may be likely that in the last 5 seconds I gave up trying to use useless brakes and looked for a way to crash the car with the least amount of damage. However, the EDR only covers the last 20% or so of the time period. I have been told that the Vehicle Control History should have more data available covering a longer period of time and that can be accessed using Tech Stream. Unfortunately I have no idea of what data to ask for. Does anyone have a suggestion.

Since my wife will never set foot in the car again, I'l have to get it repaired to sell it. The Lexus dealership estimates the cost of repair at about $30,000 to put it in "new" condition. Assuming a great repair job, does anyone have an idea of how much the accident will reduce the value of the car?

Many thanks
Old 04-30-24, 05:27 PM
wrinkle
Pit Crew

Received 95 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by davesueled
I have a Lexus 2023 NX450H with 2800 miles. Ten weeks ago the brakes failed. Fortunately I was able to avoid hitting any other vehicles or people. After traveling for about 20-25 seconds without brakes I chose to crash the car into a concrete bench at 19 mph. Lexus pulled the EDR data from the airbag system (which did not deploy) and said I didn't apply brakes and they were fine. They claim I didn't try to use the brakes to stop and deny responsibility. That response was two months after the accident. It may be likely that in the last 5 seconds I gave up trying to use useless brakes and looked for a way to crash the car with the least amount of damage. However, the EDR only covers the last 20% or so of the time period. I have been told that the Vehicle Control History should have more data available covering a longer period of time and that can be accessed using Tech Stream. Unfortunately I have no idea of what data to ask for. Does anyone have a suggestion.

Since my wife will never set foot in the car again, I'l have to get it repaired to sell it. The Lexus dealership estimates the cost of repair at about $30,000 to put it in "new" condition. Assuming a great repair job, does anyone have an idea of how much the accident will reduce the value of the car?

Many thanks
This is very concerning, not just personally about what happened to you (bad enough) - but also how Lexus responded. As far as I know, Tech Stream is a Toyota software available to Lexus/Toyota dealers, if not also aftermarket repair-shops specializing in Toyota. I would suggest extracting that data one way or the other with Techstream or otherwise, and considering legal options thereafter.
Old 05-01-24, 08:50 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 490 Likes on 342 Posts

DId the brake pedal get really soft and go to the floor, or become rock hard and difficult to press?
Old 05-01-24, 09:12 AM
davesueled
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The brake pedal just went to the floor with no response. I'm trying to find out which Tech Stream screens would show all the braking attempts when brake failure occurred.
Old 05-01-24, 10:43 AM
wrinkle
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by davesueled
The brake pedal just went to the floor with no response. I'm trying to find out which Tech Stream screens would show all the braking attempts when brake failure occurred.
Toyota master technicians having third party access to Tech Stream might be the best path for the situation you are in, given what one dealer told you. Also, you can try a different dealer as the next best option if the third party access to Tech Stream isnt not all that great by your experience.
Old 05-01-24, 11:00 AM
bt10
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

I would also ask that the OP post this in the regular brake failure thread in the main NX 2nd gen sub forum, so a count and advice can be shared. You are not the first. You can also report to appropriate country agencies of safety. They may force Toyota to release yours and everyone else's data related to this. A lawyers advice on driving after event but without retrieving data may lose the data and the car to overwrite as well. One question I wondered - did anyone use the parking brake paddle? (Not Park gear!)

I don't know if any non hybrid have experienced this or if it is only e-brakes that have failed, but we should have a good count, especially if reporting to USA, EU, or Canadian NHTSA type agencies. It may be combined with other models with e-brakes that fail, which we not notice on just the NX sub forum. A quick search did not come back with any R4P instances.

Last edited by bt10; 05-01-24 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-01-24, 11:39 AM
lsft
Instructor

Received 530 Likes on 353 Posts

Sorry to hear about your brake issue. Was the car slowing down (regen braking occurring?) If it was occurring, I would put it in sport mode to have the greatest regen and then put on the parking brakes to stop it. Or use the paddle shifters to increase the regen. I'm surprised that the LSS+ 3.0 didn't stop when it detected the concrete bench or that failed as well?
Old 05-01-24, 12:45 PM
wrinkle
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bt10
I would also ask that the OP post this in the regular brake failure thread in the main NX 2nd gen sub forum, so a count and advice can be shared. You are not the first. You can also report to appropriate country agencies of safety. They may force Toyota to release yours and everyone else's data related to this. A lawyers advice on driving after event but without retrieving data may lose the data and the car to overwrite as well. One question I wondered - did anyone use the parking brake paddle? (Not Park gear!)

I don't know if any non hybrid have experienced this or if it is only e-brakes that have failed, but we should have a good count, especially if reporting to USA, EU, or Canadian NHTSA type agencies. It may be combined with other models with e-brakes that fail, which we not notice on just the NX sub forum. A quick search did not come back with any R4P instances.
Yes, preserving the data in the car and not driving or experimenting with it is good advice. That would be essential for technical as well as legal steps as necessary
Old 05-02-24, 07:46 AM
midcow3
Instructor

Received 482 Likes on 307 Posts
Lightbulb OP ever resolve brake issue ?

Originally Posted by wrinkle
This is very concerning, not just personally about what happened to you (bad enough) - but also how Lexus responded. As far as I know, Tech Stream is a Toyota software available to Lexus/Toyota dealers, if not also aftermarket repair-shops specializing in Toyota. I would suggest extracting that data one way or the other with Techstream or otherwise, and considering legal options thereafter.
I find it odd that the OP never followed up about the brake issue. Most insurance companies have a "diminished value" insurance that will give you some money back, I had a fairly major wreck, and got $4,200 additional from the insurance company. Lexus repaired my car back to 100% new 1 1/2 years ago and no issues since. I thought about upgrading to a 450h+ in 2025 because ML is now offered. New 450h+ and 350hs are on the lots ( only 2024 so far) and available at MSRP or less.

YMMV,

MidCow3
P.S. - Lots and lots of Lexus/Toyota vehicles and miles m but no brake problems. Hybrid braking is somewhat different though
Old 05-02-24, 12:37 PM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

I wonder if pulling up on the emergency brake switch would have worked to slow the vehicle down. Very bizarre for sure.
Old 05-02-24, 12:39 PM
chuckNX
Intermediate

Received 89 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by lsft
Sorry to hear about your brake issue. Was the car slowing down (regen braking occurring?) If it was occurring, I would put it in sport mode to have the greatest regen and then put on the parking brakes to stop it. Or use the paddle shifters to increase the regen. I'm surprised that the LSS+ 3.0 didn't stop when it detected the concrete bench or that failed as well?
Good point. Auto braking should have engaged and been recorded.
Old 05-02-24, 10:22 PM
clmk
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckNX
I wonder if pulling up on the emergency brake switch would have worked to slow the vehicle down. Very bizarre for sure.
This. Did you pull the Park Brake button up? did that apply any braking?