Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

GS450h vs Mercedes E300 plug in

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-23, 06:13 PM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts
Default GS450h vs Mercedes E300 plug in

I gave my boss the keys to the GS450h at lunch time and I told him to try it out. We work in the engineering field, so we get along pretty well as he is a motorhead like me. We both have several motorcycles and sports cars for weekend activities etc.

His current corporate ride is a Mercedes E300 plug in so its not too showy when customers sees the vehicle carpark and still look progressively "green" compared to an all out V8 G-Wagon etc.

He came back and told me how impressively smooth he thought the Lexus gearbox was compared to the Merc, couldn't feel the gearbox steps when using using the paddles etc. Even though the Merc has a more up to date interior he was so surprise that the Lexus hasn't look dated. The most surprising thing the said was how quiet and supple the GS450h ride was compare the to E class and thinks its a better daily drive than the Merc.

The Mercedes is a 4 cylinder plug in, and if you are gentle you can do your commute with just EV mode only. It is only have when you want more power that the ICE motor on the Merc engine sounds harsh and not very refine. His option will change once he trades up to the Mercedes EQS full EV.
The following 2 users liked this post by gripau1:
bclexus (12-18-23), Im2bz2p345 (12-27-23)
Old 12-20-23, 05:42 AM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 243 Likes on 183 Posts

Totally different concepts. Even the gs300h will be better in the smoothness field. Fuel consumption will depend entirely on whether you can use the merc's EV-only mode exclusively, but I really don't like the "you have to use the engine for full power" thing - engines just love being arbitrarily started cold for a few seconds of full power

There are plug-ins that have plenty of both "range" and "go" in EV-only mode. One of these paired with an fixed atkinson ICE would be great. Then again, EV range & charging nowadays are not really an issue, so... meh.