Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the ES300h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the ES300h. Please use the main 7ES forum for discussion about shared components with other seventh generation ES models.

Battery Tender ok to use on ‘23 ES300h?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-23, 02:15 PM
Birddoggie
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Tender ok to use on ‘23 ES300h?

So my 300h sat for about 2 months (SoCal) and when I went to start it, DOA😳my question is is it ok to use a tender, and if so, connect it to the battery in the trunk? TIA🇺🇸
Old 11-20-23, 01:45 PM
losiglow
Pit Crew

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Yes and yes. You should be fine using a tender on the 12V battery. And in my opinion, directly to the 12V battery would probably be best. They have jump points in the engine bay, but for a tender, I'd connect directly to the battery. I don't think charging through the jump points would be a great idea.

In fact, had I known how weak the 12V stock battery was, I would have done the same. I left mine for about a month, albeit it, in the freezing cold, and had the same problem. I thought that because it was only used to power the computer, not an actual engine starter motor, that it woudl be fine. I was wrong. If the battery is significantly under 12V, the onboard ECU won't power on, even if the hybrid battery is perfectly fine. Unfortunately it appears I did some damage to the stock 12V battery because it never held a very good charge after that. I ended up replacing it with a Duralast Gold which has done a great job for the last 6 months or so. I hope yours didn't suffer the same fate.
The following users liked this post:
Birddoggie (11-22-23)
Old 11-21-23, 08:45 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 705 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by losiglow
Yes and yes. You should be fine using a tender on the 12V battery. And in my opinion, directly to the 12V battery would probably be best. They have jump points in the engine bay, but for a tender, I'd connect directly to the battery. I don't think charging through the jump points would be a great idea.

In fact, had I known how weak the 12V stock battery was, I would have done the same. I left mine for about a month, albeit it, in the freezing cold, and had the same problem. I thought that because it was only used to power the computer, not an actual engine starter motor, that it woudl be fine. I was wrong. If the battery is significantly under 12V, the onboard ECU won't power on, even if the hybrid battery is perfectly fine. Unfortunately it appears I did some damage to the stock 12V battery because it never held a very good charge after that. I ended up replacing it with a Duralast Gold which has done a great job for the last 6 months or so. I hope yours didn't suffer the same fate.
I wouldn’t try to “generalize” the stock 12V batteries simply because you had a bad experience with yours. I leave my ES as well as the last hybrid ES (owned 5 years) for weeks at a time quite often. Easily for a month at a time - although garaged so never below freezing. I haven’t had to replace a battery or even get a jump start. While a battery tender can be a good idea depending on circumstances, my experience wouldn’t suggest it is necessary for just a few weeks. That said, batteries can fail - just like any other component.
Old 11-21-23, 12:41 PM
losiglow
Pit Crew

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by TechNut
I wouldn’t try to “generalize” the stock 12V batteries simply because you had a bad experience with yours. I leave my ES as well as the last hybrid ES (owned 5 years) for weeks at a time quite often. Easily for a month at a time - although garaged so never below freezing. I haven’t had to replace a battery or even get a jump start. While a battery tender can be a good idea depending on circumstances, my experience wouldn’t suggest it is necessary for just a few weeks. That said, batteries can fail - just like any other component.
Not meaning to generalize since my '17 had practically the same battery (Panasonic, 540 CCA) and never had a problem in 285K miles. But I never left it for long or let it discharge either. So yeah, could have just been bad luck.