Headlights on 2010 HS 250h - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Headlights on 2010 HS 250h

Old 01-09-18, 07:39 PM   #1
atnj
Driver School Candidate

Default Headlights on 2010 HS 250h

I got this used car last week. Drove for the first time at night today. I felt the headlights are not bright enough.
After reaching home I tested multiple combinations - and found that there are three lights on each side (excluding the fog lamp) - the outermost is tiny yellowish light (#1 in the pic). The one next to it is a bit bigger and turns on automatically (#2 in the pic). The largest one is next to the front grill (#3 in pic).
I found that the larger light (#3) turns on only when I switch to high beam. Does it seem faulty?
Also, is it possible to put LED lights here?

atnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-18, 08:23 PM   #2
Magellan55

Can't speak to your vehicle, but headlights work fine on mine. No idea which elements are used for DRL / low beam / high beam, but they are effective at night, at least as much as any other car I've owned.
Magellan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-18, 09:33 PM   #3
yardie876
Lexus Champion

There are two different headlight options, both of which look very similar. The first one pictured here is of the LED equipped one. The two outer most lights are very similar in appearance and both function on the low beam setting. The second pic shows the halogen equipped headlight (which is standard). With the halogen headlight, the middle lens is the low beam light and the outer one is a diffuser of some sort and doesn't contribute to the light output (from what I see). The easiest way to tell which your car is equipped with is to look at the outermost lens. If it is rubbed (like in the second pic) then you have the halogen option.

The reflector in the corner (closest to the grill) is indeed the high beam light. If you want a brighter light you can opt for an LED bulb in the low beam. The bulb type is H11. I'd note though that installing LEDs May cause some glare.
Attached Thumbnails
Headlights on 2010 HS 250h-photo278.jpg   Headlights on 2010 HS 250h-photo438.jpg  

Last edited by yardie876; 01-09-18 at 09:38 PM.
yardie876 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yardie876 For This Useful Post:
atnj (01-10-18)
Old 01-10-18, 11:19 AM   #4
Clutchless
Lexus Champion

www.xenondepot.com is a good source for upgraded bulbs, both LED or HID. I went with the much cheaper H11 to H9 bulb modification as the H9 bulb fits in the socket with use of the Bulb Zilla harness adaptor (about $30) and a minor tab cutting. The bulbs themselves are 3 times brighter, but burn out every year. This is a popular modification and is covered in many Prius, Mazda and Subaru forums. The H9 bulbs are really cheap on Amazon.
Clutchless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clutchless For This Useful Post:
atnj (01-10-18), XenonDepot (01-11-18)
Old 01-11-18, 09:49 AM   #5
XenonDepot
ClubLexus HID Kit Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnj View Post
I got this used car last week. Drove for the first time at night today. I felt the headlights are not bright enough.
After reaching home I tested multiple combinations - and found that there are three lights on each side (excluding the fog lamp) - the outermost is tiny yellowish light (#1 in the pic). The one next to it is a bit bigger and turns on automatically (#2 in the pic). The largest one is next to the front grill (#3 in pic).
I found that the larger light (#3) turns on only when I switch to high beam. Does it seem faulty?

We have a 2010 Lexus HS250H Lighting Guide that can help you get started looking at options. If you have stock halogen lighting, you would need H11 bulbs for your Low Beams and 9005 bulbs for your High Beam/DRL combination. If you go with an LED upgrade on either of those, you would only need the CANBUS/PWM anti-flicker module option for the High Beams, but be aware that the LEDs are not going to be able to dim and provide a lower level of brightness in DRL mode. They are basically On or Off, with no in betweens.

~Robert

1-877-522-2701 | [email protected]

XenonDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-18, 07:03 PM   #6
TheAirman
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by atnj View Post

If you have headlight washers, then you have the factory LED headlight option as this was the only way to get headlight washers. If you say that light #1 seems dim and yellow, then you might have a problem with the head light system and only the dealer can repair it. The factory LED headlights are not user serviceable. Only the high beam (#3) bulb can be serviced or replaced. If this is the case, then it might cost you thousands of dollars as the headlights are only available from Japan at about $1800 per side.

Those two lights (#1 and #2) should be super bright and very white in color at almost a 5000K color temperature. The driving light near #3 should be dim and yellow. Also the small triangle light above the washer and next to the turn signal should be bright also.

Your lights should also articulate and follow the corners as you turn the steering wheel.

My factory LED headlights on my HS where the best headlights I ever had on any car I've had yet, and I've had 25 cars. Your might have a problem if you think they are dim.
TheAirman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAirman For This Useful Post:
atnj (01-15-18)