HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Overinflated tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-09, 01:29 PM
tonyscv
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overinflated tires

Heads up to folks when you purchase these cars that the tires are in some cases very over-inflated. In my case, the cold tire pressure recommendations on the door sticker were 32 PSI for the front tires, and 33PSI for the rear tires. They were actually inflated to 37PSI front and rear, which gave the car a much rougher ride that only got worse as the tires warmed up.

Fortunately the tire pressure monitor shows the individual tire pressure of all 4 tires, although oddly I can't find documentation anywhere in the manual that specifies which tire each reading corresponds to. The display will just show "36 34 35 36". I assume it reads, left front, right front, left rear, right rear, but I can't find confirmation if that's correct.

In any case, check your tire pressure and adjust as necessary. After doing so in my case the ride improved significantly.

- T
Old 12-18-09, 07:30 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

YES by all means check your tire pressure. I had a loaner that had a rough ride I checked the tire pressure and found it was up at 37 PSI or more. We let the air out the tire and the ride was greatly improved. I had this loaner from Wednesday before Thanksgiving till Saturday I even went for several joy rides as I may consider buying one when my lease is up.
Old 01-06-10, 05:54 AM
jhbrennan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tonyscv
Heads up to folks when you purchase these cars that the tires are in some cases very over-inflated. In my case, the cold tire pressure recommendations on the door sticker were 32 PSI for the front tires, and 33PSI for the rear tires. They were actually inflated to 37PSI front and rear, which gave the car a much rougher ride that only got worse as the tires warmed up.

Fortunately the tire pressure monitor shows the individual tire pressure of all 4 tires, although oddly I can't find documentation anywhere in the manual that specifies which tire each reading corresponds to. The display will just show "36 34 35 36". I assume it reads, left front, right front, left rear, right rear, but I can't find confirmation if that's correct.

In any case, check your tire pressure and adjust as necessary. After doing so in my case the ride improved significantly.

- T
33 for the front and 32 for the rear - you had them reversed. Also, my dealer said the TP read-out was not in any specific order - I'm skeptical about anything the dealer says - does anyone know the real story on the order of the TP display? Thanks.
Old 01-06-10, 10:54 AM
KGenaidy
Driver

From the owners manual:
"Tire inflation pressure
Displays inflation pressure of each tire. There is no correlation between the order of the displayed values and the tire positions.

It may take a few minutes to display the tire inflation pressure after the “POWER” switch is turned to ON mode. It may also take a few minutes to display the tire inflation pressure after the inflation pressure has been adjusted."

I think I remember reading somewhere that the sensors need to "register".

Hope this helps
Old 01-06-10, 11:12 AM
gary1944
Driver School Candidate

Default Tires

FYI.picked up my HS this past Sunday and the tires were inflated at 46LBS.....taking them back to the spec made a big difference in the ride and the car no longer feels like its on its "toes" , so to speak
Old 01-06-10, 11:52 AM
Argelius
Pole Position

For the life of me I cannot understand why, if they can go to the trouble of giving you individual readouts on each tire, they can't also tell you which tires they correspond to. Makes absolutely no sense...

Originally Posted by KGenaidy
From the owners manual:
"Tire inflation pressure
Displays inflation pressure of each tire. There is no correlation between the order of the displayed values and the tire positions.
Old 01-06-10, 12:07 PM
gary1944
Driver School Candidate

I agree....My Lexus GS430 specified the locations and so did my Cadillac CTS-V
Old 01-07-10, 10:28 AM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Argelius
For the life of me I cannot understand why, if they can go to the trouble of giving you individual readouts on each tire, they can't also tell you which tires they correspond to. Makes absolutely no sense...
When I had the loaner there was a markout somewhere which tire corresponded to what number. I seem to think it was left rear, left front, right rear, right front.