2010 Lexus HS 250h Hybrid Preview and Pricing article

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-09, 07:13 PM
CL Editors
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Lexus HS 250h Hybrid Preview and Pricing article

Hello Everyone,

You may notice that we have great content on the homepage placed by various individuals. Sometimes, it will be by us and will be accompanied with a question for the forum to respond to. We hope you will join in and further the discussions. Thanks.

As for the HS 250h article:

Will this vehicle's entry into the hybrid market hurt Toyota's sales because Prius consumers are typically those who can afford to pay a little bit more and therefore will do so by purchasing the Lexus HS 250h instead? Is this a smart move by Lexus, offering wealthy consumers fuel/eco conscious cars attached to a luxury brand, and based off of a proven winner in the Prius?

Which would you go for? Why?

If you missed the article, you can find it here: https://www.clublexus.com/index.php?...567&Itemid=155
Old 06-02-09, 11:25 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

I don't think the HS250 will hurt Prius sales at all. The two vehicles are very different and appeal to a much type of buyer. Pricing of the HS will be much higher than the Prius.
Old 06-03-09, 07:22 AM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

hard question. for one, the prius has become such an icon that even the wealthy purchase that car. I hate to say it but I (i assume like most people) factor personal image and social issues when purchasing a car. the prius has been able to defy that social/prestige factor because of what it can do. This is because the prius has been able to capture something that no other car has been able to do (hybrid smugness), celebrities and the like have previously bought into it. and now that the top of the line prius reaches into the low 30s, its definately going to stay with some of the wealthy folk.

So instead of the HS taking sales from the prius, i think its the other way around. the HS doesnt have that iconic symbol (nor will it get it), and it doesnt achieve in ways that the prius does. However, im sure those who cant (and wont) be seen in a toyota will purchase the lexus for the image thing.
Old 06-03-09, 02:19 PM
kbinfl
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

I tend to agree with RXSF's response. The current generation Prius has definitely made it's statement. The previous generation model wasn't as wildly popular. Many have purchased the Prius for it's uniqueness...even Honda has very similar cues in it's new Insight. My feeling is that many Lexus customers that want a hybrid sedan will go with the HS for the Lexus experience alone. It's awfully difficult going backward once you're spoiled by the Lexus treatment. For those that are not current Lexus customers, I believe they will go for the Prius.
Old 06-03-09, 03:27 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

The HS will find its share of buyers. I haven't seen Lexus' sales target for the HS though. I'm sure the HS will steal some Prius buyers and probably move a few current Prius owners to the HS when they get rid of their Prius.

I personally dislike the designs of both vehicles. I do not like the oddness of the exterior. I especially dislike the interior as well as the ride comfort of the current gen Prius. The HS is too similar in shape with a Corolla with the body kit. I also dislike the angled center stack of the HS.

My pick would be for the 2010 Fusion Hybrid. I much prefer the standard sedan look as well as its interior design over that of the Prius and HS.

I like the concept of a Lexus dedicated entry level Hybrid, but find the execution via the HS lacking and unappealing. (Visually and interior layout.)
Old 06-03-09, 05:41 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I don't think this will bastardize Prius sales. Wealthy greenies will still buy the Prius because: 1. The HS isn't anywhere near as gas frugal, thus not as green 2. The HS isn't that much of a performer in terms of acceleration, handling, space, etc.

I'd go with a Fusion hybrid as well.
Old 06-03-09, 05:43 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

the HS doesnt make sense. RX450h= combined 30, while the HS which is a much smaller and weaker vehicle gets combined 35. id sacrifice those 5 mpg
Old 06-03-09, 07:00 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...h1cy1wcml1cw--

It did not get too good of reviews from this source but then again it was not a car mag but a yahoo source test drive. They basically said they would rather have a Prius.
Old 06-04-09, 02:23 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I will have my full review of the HS250h and the ISc up with the hundreds of exclusive photos I took during the press event.
Old 06-04-09, 02:26 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

BTW, the HS and the Prius share no sheetmetal, powertrain or chassis parts. They ride on identical wheelbases...but that's all. Both cars maybe hybrids but they were designed for two different demographics.
Old 06-29-09, 03:33 PM
Parker Gen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
BTW, the HS and the Prius share no sheetmetal, powertrain or chassis parts. They ride on identical wheelbases...but that's all. Both cars maybe hybrids but they were designed for two different demographics.
And that's a good thing. One thing I dislike most in vehicle production is when they interchange brands on the same design and build.
Old 06-29-09, 04:46 PM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Parker Gen
And that's a good thing. One thing I dislike most in vehicle production is when they interchange brands on the same design and build.
And that matters how? How in the hell are you going to know that they used the same wheelbase on this car if they didn't already tell you? This really is beyond me as to why people have a cry when everything about a car is different but the wheelbase...
Old 06-29-09, 05:02 PM
CeoStatus0
Pole Position

The HS isn't that appealing to me... Considering only 35 mpg and the price range, I'd be looking at the Camry, Altima, and Fusion Hybrids.

Maybe after an intensive review I may change my mind.
Old 06-29-09, 06:28 PM
Fitment Factory
Lexus Champion

This will hopefully mean that Toyota will lower the price on the Prius and make it more accessible to a lower financial bracket and or introduce some new technology like the plug in hybrid. (I think they announced that they were ready to release the plug in). What I don't see fit is the Price...
Old 06-29-09, 08:25 PM
LexFather

I read Motor Trend today and they posted an estimated base price of $37,999

Quick Reply: 2010 Lexus HS 250h Hybrid Preview and Pricing article