HS 250h Model (2010-2012)

Lexus HS 250h...revealed Jan. 11

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-09, 10:19 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

this will be the laughing stock of german fanboys.

from 200 ft away, this thing is nearly indistinguishable from a corolla. <-- that is bad.
Old 01-11-09, 10:20 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it's okay the front reminds me of the LX 570 for some reason and the back reminds me of the RX330\350 and the wholeself as a IS, i'm sure it will be a decent seller, Lexus would probably sell more of these than if they came out with a small cute SUV. Look at the sales of the FX and RDX they aren't that great so I assume Lexus didn't want to take a risk with a small luxury SUV and decided to come out with this instead.
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

no, it is based on Prius... it has significantly larger wheelbase than Corolla. Good point is that Prius uses aluminium extensivly, more so than some Lexus's :-), so it should be lighter than Camry Hybrid, unless all that tech weights it down.
LexFather

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Now my issue (or Lexus issue) is that being said, the exterior looks like a damn Corolla. Period. Lexus has done a much better job differentiating themselves from Toyota but this is like a 500lbs batch of Kobe beef to Lexus haters and trolls. "Oh its just a Toyota". While this is technologically advanced, this does not help with "Image" with enthusiasts and with editors and writers who still think Lexus is nothing but a Toyota.
In before the Trolls.
Old 01-11-09, 10:25 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I don't totally disagree with you but again there is no prior precedent for this car. This is again, another Lexus first. We have nothing to truly compare it too. I am with you on Lexus not using as much wood in the past but clearly buyers don't seem to care.

I am not sure why the new 2.5 was not used except that they will eventually upgrade to it. I am assuming the 2.5 was not available at the time to develop into a hybrid.

To be honest G, I think its not just this Lexus. The exteriors of the IS convertible, 3RX and now this have just left us cold. The interiors are something we as "old" (though we are young lol) Lexus nuts are something we will have to get used to. Lexus is not going back!
And thats cool and all. I applaud the fact that Lexus is paving the way for hybrids, and all others will follow sooner or later. They are the first ones doing it!! (high fives, hand shakes, pounds, thats awesome.) But really, if we all knew that Lexus was just going to plop an ancient I-4 engine with hybrid parts and badge it a Lexus, they could have done this 3 years ago when they debuted this same set up in the Camry (save the few upgrades they made). Thats what I'm not happy about. They get a big "so what?" from me in that regard.

Some people honestly hate wood trim in their cars as well. That is cool. I am acceptable to change. For the most part I do like the interior of the current GS and ES with less wood trim. But IMO, if you are not going to use as much wood trim, dont give me flat pieces of vinyl and sheets of leather and say your a luxury car company. That crap belongs in a Toyota. Its about the little details to me when it comes to interiors. The new RX and HS have none of that.

And look around, my goodness. People are comparing this "supposed to be" Lexus to Civics, Ford's and Prius. Speaks volumes about its design language.
Old 01-11-09, 10:29 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by GFerg
And thats cool and all. I applaud the fact that Lexus is paving the way for hybrids, and all others will follow sooner or later. They are the first ones doing it!! (high fives, hand shakes, pounds, thats awesome.) But really, if we all knew that Lexus was just going to plop an ancient I-4 engine with hybrid parts and badge it a Lexus, they could have done this 3 years ago when they debuted this same set up in the Camry (save the few upgrades they made). Thats what I'm not happy about. They get a big "so what?" from me in that regard.

Some people honestly hate wood trim in their cars as well. That is cool. I am acceptable to change. For the most part I do like the interior of the current GS and ES with less wood trim. But IMO, if you are not going to use as much wood trim, dont give me flat pieces of vinyl and sheets of leather and say your a luxury car company. That crap belongs in a Toyota. Its about the little details to me when it comes to interiors. The new RX and HS have none of that.

And look around, my goodness. People are comparing this "supposed to be" Lexus to Civics, Ford's and Prius. Speaks volumes about its design language.
G, whenever a new Lexus debuts, people start posting Camry's and Solaras. Its just what happens.
Old 01-11-09, 10:30 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
IS250 is heavy, RWD vehicle which would get 28mpg and be *** slow at it. Not only that, you still would not be able to fit child seats at the back, and trunk would still be tiny :-).
IS250 gets a lot better than 28MPG on the highway, and if you think it's slow, you will probably be sorely disappointed with the HS.
Old 01-11-09, 10:31 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

OMG, it uses the same shifter (looks exactly the same) as the prius. how hard could it have been to reshape something else?
Old 01-11-09, 10:32 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

G, whenever a new Lexus debuts, people start posting Camry's and Solaras. Its just what happens.
LMAO!!! True indeed!
Old 01-11-09, 10:35 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by xcntuatd77
Man the design is not good at all...lol sorry guys. interior sucks as well...just a lavish bloated corolla/IS/prius...the design isnt too elegant in my opinion to justify getting this "40mpg" car over the prius. Dont see why you should spend the extra $7-10K
Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Agree. Visually this car looks like it should cost 12-16K, not like a Lexus.
I have to be honest, all in all, this is a sore, sore disappointment from Lexus.
Originally Posted by xcntuatd77
EXACTLY!

what the hell is the purpose of the car? ITS JUST NOT NECESSARY.

an absolute embrassment to lexus. Youd be the biggest fool to feel good about buying this thing when you can just get a prius that serves its purpose...this thing is just a "feel good your driving a lexus badge"...when it adds nothing more than that
I agree the design is disappointing inside and out, but you guys do realize that the Prius itself starts at $25K and is barely under $30K loaded right ?

So with the upgraded materials, etc., ... I think the HS250h does justify it's $30K+ price tag if you don't mind it's looks, & the Prius isn't a good looking car itself.
Yes I don't think the HS250h looks upscale and elegant enough for a Lexus, but I do not think it's not worth the $premium over a Prius if this thing is selling at $30K+ range ...
Old 01-11-09, 10:44 AM
RXSF

see, this is what toyota learned with the prius. they can sell an ugly (relative) if they pack on a hybrid powertrain.

enter HS250h
Old 01-11-09, 10:45 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lexus just released images of its next fresh of the LS460

it incorporates the LATEST GREATEST L-what-a-messe design language.

Lexus, the greatest brand of the future!!!!!
Old 01-11-09, 10:48 AM
RXSF

lol you have too much time
Old 01-11-09, 10:50 AM
xcntuatd77
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

agreed. As i mentioned, youd be the biggest fool to take this over a prius. It adds nothing special over the prius...design and look and feel is bland. Its definitely not worth $32K range thats for sure.

Better to buy a prius and save yourself 7-8K and get it for what its meant for instead of trying to feel good driving a lexus badge.
Old 01-11-09, 10:50 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

This is again, another Lexus first.
the aztek was a first for pontiac too.

I am with you on Lexus not using as much wood in the past but clearly buyers don't seem to care.
oh they care, but all car makers are in the same boat. none or very little wood on a C class!

To be honest G, I think its not just this Lexus. The exteriors of the IS convertible, 3RX and now this have just left us cold. The interiors are something we as "old" (though we are young lol) Lexus nuts are something we will have to get used to. Lexus is not going back!
good points. we can get used to it, or buy something else.

wonder what a 4gs or 3is will look like

it seems as toyota cheapens their products, gm/ford/hyundai make them much better.

toyota/lexus seems to be relying on reputation more than innovation/style these days. gee, sound familiar?

Quick Reply: Lexus HS 250h...revealed Jan. 11