Retrofit OEM Radar Cruise

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-19, 09:16 AM
clearmysix
Pit Crew

Received 109 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by John00

did you also look for the 50?

Yes. Haven't been able to find either of them used. A new one is 1400 - which I may have to buy.
Old 07-18-19, 07:25 PM
clearmysix
Pit Crew

Default One step forward, one step back

I have updates on this project.

The other day I got a brand new sensor that had a specific part number for my vehicle. Here is the specific one vs. the one from a 2013+ GX.

The shorter one on the left is the one made for the 2010-2012 GX.

New sensor: Same model number

Used sensor: Same model number. But there must be something different??

The sensors must be programmed specifically for the different vehicles, but they are not labeled as such.

Once I installed and aligned the new sensor and drove down the freeway....this happened

IT WORKED!!!! It was able to keep pace with a vehicle in front of me. Excellent, all done. Except, as soon as a vehicle changed lanes into my lane it threw an error.

The error was P1630: Communication error from VSC to ECM.

Essentially the radar cruise control was sending a BRAKE signal to the MASTER CYLINDER ECU (SKID CONTROL ECU) which did not go through.

So then I looked into the different types of master cylinder ECUs that came with the NA 2011 GX460. This is what I found.

There appears to be 4 different types of Master Cylinder ECUs for the 2011 GX460. There is even one for an offroad version?

Needless to say I was a bit disappointed to find another layer of parts that differentiated my base GX460 from one that had radar cruise control.

I am also wondering what the ECU that came with the offroad package is able to do? Does this have something to do with crawl control? Could the crawl control retrofit not work completely without it?

The new part is about 950 dollars so its not cheap. I'm going to research other potential parts I may need before going deeper into this project.

Any thoughts are welcome
The following users liked this post:
John00 (08-04-19)
Old 07-18-19, 11:55 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,670 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Did you install crawl switch and do the zero point calibration (ZPC)? Perhaps like you found with radar sensor the real reason for these different versions is the pre-collision and radar cruise that is baked in? Unlike the basic profile selection that is possible with crawl. Early on with the 4R crawl conversion in 2015 the guy thought it was related to the skid ECU as well which turned out to be not relevant for that mod.
Old 07-19-19, 07:19 AM
clearmysix
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Did you install crawl switch and do the zero point calibration (ZPC)? Perhaps like you found with radar sensor the real reason for these different versions is the pre-collision and radar cruise that is baked in? Unlike the basic profile selection that is possible with crawl. Early on with the 4R crawl conversion in 2015 the guy thought it was related to the skid ECU as well which turned out to be not relevant for that mod.

I installed crawl control and it appears to work without changing out the SKID ECU. However, there are 4 versions of the SKID ECU. One version for the base system without CC or PCS/Radar, one for PCS/Radar without Crawl, and one for CC and PCS/Radar. There is a 4th that I cannot understand.

My assumption is that crawl control will work normally in most situations, but there may be certain braking actions that it may not be able to do without having the SKID ECU replaced.

I cannot confirm this without getting into that situation. Either way I am going to get the SKID ECU for the offroad package with pre-collision and see how it goes.
Old 07-19-19, 07:30 AM
hzhao
Racer

Received 987 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by clearmysix
I installed crawl control and it appears to work without changing out the SKID ECU. However, there are 4 versions of the SKID ECU. One version for the base system without CC or PCS/Radar, one for PCS/Radar without Crawl, and one for CC and PCS/Radar. There is a 4th that I cannot understand.

My assumption is that crawl control will work normally in most situations, but there may be certain braking actions that it may not be able to do without having the SKID ECU replaced.

I cannot confirm this without getting into that situation. Either way I am going to get the SKID ECU for the offroad package with pre-collision and see how it goes.
Couldn't remember there is one ECU associated with seatbelt retention which is part of Pre-Collision function. This maybe the one needs to be replaced.
Old 07-19-19, 07:33 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

No idea.... we now have a year and a half on that mod with more than 100+ installs and some have pushed vehicle hard off-road. Both systems MTS and Crawl have worked without any reported errors. I’ve crawled down steep icy roads myself as a test and braking worked perfectly.

EDIT: One item though that I don't think anyone has tested is to see if Multi-Terrain ABS actually makes a difference braking off-road. If anything this would be the piece I would think could be affected by the Skid ECU.

[Post 779]
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...l#post10460683

Last edited by Acrad; 07-19-19 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-19-19, 08:43 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by clearmysix
Did you find PCS specific info in the 10-13 Eurasian FSM or is it all assumed to be within Dynamic Radar Cruise?

I wonder if in some markets the PCS function wasn't there like Lane Departure Warning not being on Chinese models? at least on the 10-13 models?

Also wonder if the lack of Driver Attention Monitor plays any role?

Further list of Skid ECU PNs:

https://lexus.7zap.com/en/us/lexus+g...477103a/#47217

Last edited by Acrad; 07-19-19 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-19-19, 06:07 PM
clearmysix
Pit Crew

Did you find PCS specific info in the 10-13 Eurasian FSM or is it all assumed to be within Dynamic Radar Cruise?

I wonder if in some markets the PCS function wasn't there like Lane Departure Warning not being on Chinese models? at least on the 10-13 models?

Also wonder if the lack of Driver Attention Monitor plays any role?
I found the PCS specific info on the US GX460 FSM. I think that at this point Dynamic Radar Cruise is always associated with Pre-Collision. The two cannot function without each other (unless you want constant errors).

The lack of Driver Attention Monitor does not appear to be an issue.

Here is my current vehicle error list:

Basically I'm down to two things:
1. I have the wrong SKID ECU (need the one specific to pre-collision)
2. I am missing both seatbelts that are specific to the pre-collision system

I think that once I have those two items installed this project will be complete.

For those interested in the cost associated with everything, this job will probably cost about 3k, even when using used (very discounted) parts. Not cheap. It will probably cost 5k if you use all new parts.
The following 2 users liked this post by clearmysix:
RadiantX45 (08-17-22), zozoramelu (06-28-23)
Old 08-03-19, 12:11 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

How goes the battle with this mod?
Old 08-03-19, 01:27 PM
clearmysix
Pit Crew

Waiting on the seatbelts and the brake controller to arrive.

Hopeful that once I have those parts in I will be able to claim success.
The following 4 users liked this post by clearmysix:
Acrad (08-03-19), hzhao (08-03-19), KJ6IRM (08-03-19), ltsr (08-03-19)
Old 08-05-19, 04:42 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

wow. i commend u doing this. but i must ask, why waste your time on antiquated system that doesnt work AS good as some other systems out there like subaru eyesight?
We have a legacy 3.6R and it works a heck of lot better in mitigating collisions than the one by toyota, not to mention, it works at ALL speeds.
I hardly use the dynamic radar system and the PCS sometimes is a pain and will try to stop vehicle when collision is not happening.
and the new 2020 GX will have this standard now.
Old 08-05-19, 05:12 AM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

wow, I wrote this off as being viable a long time ago in my rx400h, but seeing you go through this makes me feel like.... it's still not viable in my rx400h. Best of luck though, I will stay tuned!
Old 09-07-19, 06:02 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

How goes this mod?
Old 09-19-19, 11:16 AM
clearmysix
Pit Crew

How goes this mod?
Mod is not dead!

I waited 6 weeks for parts from OEMVEHICLEPARTS, including new seatbelts for the front two seats and a new brake controller that is made for PCS and OFFROAD package. Those are both installed now and I will post pictures on that process soon.

I have one last nagging thing that I need to get done to complete this project - and I need your help!

In order to make PCS / Radar Cruise work completely I need to install a BUZZER, pictured below. I got 2 of them for 5 dollars. Without this BUZZER the system will not work - I get a CHECK PCS ERROR when starting the car.

The problem I have is locating where this BUZZER is supposed to be installed.

Here is where the manual says the buzzer is to be installed. The instructions say that I need to remove the ENTIRE DASHBOARD to do i!!!??!!?!?!

I have tried to get behind the steering wheel area without removing the dashboard but I cannot find the plug or the place where this needs to be installed.

Below are a couple of other pictures that show the buzzer in relation to the STOP LAMP CONTROLLER, which I am also unable to find at this point.

Old 09-19-19, 02:54 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

I could have sworn I have heard this buzzer when VSC has been activated a few times.

Is this a different buzzer? I might need to run the TS test to make it sound.

Quick Reply: Retrofit OEM Radar Cruise