GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

New to Lexus - interested in pre owned GX. Please help !

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-19, 04:54 PM
JD312
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to Lexus - interested in pre owned GX. Please help !

Hi,

I am looking to get a pre owned 3 row SUV for my wife thats 2-3 years old, under 40k miles. Currently own Audi Q7 since 2010. Though its paid off, starting to look at costly repairs after 100k miles. Familiar with Lexus' reputation of reliablity and comfort, though I have never owned a Lexus before. Lexus RX model appears similar in appearance to Q7 but need the 3rd row. Lexus GX seems like a good option. Planning to test drive a couple of GX in the area. Could not find the 3rd row option in RX in the area. Goal is to keep the car long term. Put about 12k miles/year.

Looking to get input from experts on the forum

1. Are there any red flags regarding GX 2015-2018?

2. GX vs 3 row RX comparison ? pros/cons ?

3. Though interested in pre owned for cost saving, would buying a new one either RX 3 row or GX would be better in any way ?

4. Open to other thoughts and suggestions.

thanks

JD
Old 05-19-19, 06:32 PM
hzhao
Racer

Received 978 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by JD312
Hi,

I am looking to get a pre owned 3 row SUV for my wife thats 2-3 years old, under 40k miles. Currently own Audi Q7 since 2010. Though its paid off, starting to look at costly repairs after 100k miles. Familiar with Lexus' reputation of reliablity and comfort, though I have never owned a Lexus before. Lexus RX model appears similar in appearance to Q7 but need the 3rd row. Lexus GX seems like a good option. Planning to test drive a couple of GX in the area. Could not find the 3rd row option in RX in the area. Goal is to keep the car long term. Put about 12k miles/year.

3. Though interested in pre owned for cost saving, would buying a new one either RX 3 row or GX would be better in any way ?

thanks

JD
There are no red flags for GX for what I have known of. However, GX is a traditional body on frame true SUV, therefore the ride quality and feel will be a bit different from your Q7 experiences. On the other hand, RX will be more closer of setup (unibody) similar to Q7, if the ride comfortable is your concern. Starting 2018, RX is also offering 3rd row option as RX 350L. One thing to keep in mind, GX is not really designed for 3rd row purpose, so if you do use the 3rd row on the regular basis, you will have very little cargo space available to you (assume that you raise the both 3rd row seats. RX with 3rd row offers much more cargo space with 3rd row in use. Other than that, it is really a matter of personal choice of which one is best for you. Lexus quality and reliability is second to none, so either one will keep you happy for many years to come.
The following 3 users liked this post by hzhao:
JD312 (05-19-19), nuclearn8 (05-20-19), RoadDawg (05-20-19)
Old 05-19-19, 08:03 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I have a brand new RX loaner, my Gx is getting some service done. The RX feels and drive like a car, is not bad but you suddenly feel how low the Rx sits. The 3rd row in the RX-L is useless. I couldn't fit by tow boys 9 and 8 years old with my 8 month baby in the convertible seat in the 2nd row. everything was really tight.

The GX is sort of roomier in the back, but if you have some $$ try to get into an LX570 that is even better. Driving wise the GX/LX feels like a tank meanwhile the RX is softer riding much better MPG and I would say easier to drive everyday, since it feels so light.

If I was you I would drive these cars back to back and have your kids or people in the 3rd row to test it out.
Originally Posted by JD312
Hi,

thanks

JD
The following users liked this post:
JD312 (05-20-19)
Old 05-20-19, 06:48 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Yea the 3rd row of seats in the RXL is just there to add weight. I wouldnt suggest you even put your MIL in there as it might be a felony and not worth going to jail for.
The following 2 users liked this post by situman:
JD312 (05-20-19), UZ214 (05-20-19)
Old 05-21-19, 12:51 PM
Craigyyy
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

You'll want to test drive these. RX vs GX is a totally different experience.

2-3 years old, on a Lexus or Toyota, IMO you could just shop hard and buy new for marginally more money.

If you're truly going to use the 3rd row I'd suggest a sequoia, expedition or suburban.
JD312 (05-25-19)
Old 05-21-19, 10:02 PM
caesosa
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

GX and RX are different animals. If you are looking to do any towing the GX should be your choice. The biggest difference here is the body on frame and 4wd system as oppose to an AWD system. Both of them have traction control but the GX is a serious off road vehicle designed to travel in the worlds most extreme driving conditions (dressed as a land cruiser prado abroad). That said, it does compromise comfort mildly as it won’t be as smooth/quick as your Q7 or an RX.

We had a GX470, traded it in for an RX that we traded in for our Gx460 because we wanted the size back. My wife naturally would still prefer driving the RX but realistically she doesn’t mind the GX. We do lots of long road trips (500 miles) about twice a month and that is where the GX excels for us.
JD312 (05-25-19)
Old 05-21-19, 11:27 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I took the GX to Tx/dallas and back from Delaware and then to Florida/orlando - 3 kids + wife and a cargo box. I also have a LX but felt like the GX would be easier to drive; smaller in size to park plus LX is brand new I was little hesitant to mess up the car.
GX a very very capable suv. In TX there was flood warning and raining like crazy and GX kept going strong, The RX is like driving a raised ES350 which is an AWD. I like RX too owned pretty much every model of them but GX is a more solid feel car. I wish it rode a tad softer;

Originally Posted by caesosa
GX and RX are different animals. If you are looking to do any towing the GX should be your choice. The biggest difference here is the body on frame and 4wd system as oppose to an AWD system. Both of them have traction control but the GX is a serious off road vehicle designed to travel in the worlds most extreme driving conditions (dressed as a land cruiser prado abroad). That said, it does compromise comfort mildly as it won’t be as smooth/quick as your Q7 or an RX.

We had a GX470, traded it in for an RX that we traded in for our Gx460 because we wanted the size back. My wife naturally would still prefer driving the RX but realistically she doesn’t mind the GX. We do lots of long road trips (500 miles) about twice a month and that is where the GX excels for us.
JD312 (05-25-19)
Old 05-22-19, 06:25 AM
GX763
Driver School Candidate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

in my opinion since I am a new owner of a used GX460 2015 purchased earlier this year

Only thing I found for 2014-2019 would be the water pump leak

While researching, the GX, lexus as a whole, holds their resale value well. My2015 Luxury GX460 new was around 65-70k. I purchased this used at 60k miles for 32k. I saved over half the cost and got a used SUV/Truck with more than 10 more years of life left.
JD312 (05-25-19)
Old 05-24-19, 10:42 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Red Flags: Depends on your definition.
Cautionary tales: Secondary Air Pump, and then a whole lot of blips on the reliability that are more so unique events. Nothing like, defective modules, parasitic battery drain, or headgasket failures

Current GX vs Current RX
Depends on what you are doing and like. The RX is light years ahead of the current GX in terms of infotainment tech, Semi-Autonomous Safety, interior appointments. In addition, the RX is a small nimble crossover (you feel it in the acceleration in the RX) ideal in city traffic. The GX is light years ahead of the RX in terms of road presence, seating height, offroading prowess, time on the road for reliability testing and towing capabilities. The GX feels like you own the space you are, can easily make potholes and road imperfections not a concern, can tow, and not worry too much about electronics breaking since there isnt that many things to worry about. Plus the market for resale, really holds its own with GXes.

In terms of buying used and new, I look at this way, figure out your budget and go from there. Price out CPOs, manheim if you have access and a new vehicle. With used prices on these things that buck the depreciation curve your odds may put your GX in the new category. In terms of the CPOs of the RX, not really a fair market right now, since lease returns are about to start pouring in.
JD312 (05-25-19)
Old 05-25-19, 04:04 AM
JD312
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update.
We decided to get the RX 350 L after the test drive. It was a 2018 top of the line but never titled and had under 100 miles on it. So a new one, with price less than $10k less than MSRP.
I want to thank all of you for your insightful input. It was very valuable in our decision making.
As for the car, my wife loves it ! As they say...happy wife, happy life !
coolsaber (05-25-19)
Old 05-25-19, 06:25 AM
4literrang
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

pics or it didn't happen! Congrats on the new Lexus!