GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

2019 gx 460

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-19, 09:11 AM
r2m
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Very nice!
Suggestion, since you just came off a 2017 4R how about a point by point breakdown between the two?
Over on the IH8MUD site, all the GX 460's are grouped with the 5th Gen 4 Runners since they both share the Toyota 150 series platform.
There are always questions as to which one should be bought, the GX 460 or the 5th Gen 4R?? And then a big discussion ensues on the benefits and liabilities of both.
So on that note, if you have time and the inclination and perhaps after a couple months behind the wheel, can you please provide a post citing the abilities and inabilities of both?
Examples:
  • Comfort
    • Seats (front, rear and maybe 3r row)
    • Climate zones
    • Infotainment system
    • Leg room (if that applies)
    • Accessibility and ergonomics of controls (*****, switches)
  • Off-road features
  • Power off the line
  • Power when loaded up or towing
  • MPG
  • Anything else that may standout between the two.
I think this may be appreciated and used by many.
One last thing... ENJOY your new ride!!!!
Old 03-17-19, 10:19 AM
srpuywa
Driver

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by r2m
Very nice!
Suggestion, since you just came off a 2017 4R how about a point by point breakdown between the two?
Over on the IH8MUD site, all the GX 460's are grouped with the 5th Gen 4 Runners since they both share the Toyota 150 series platform.
There are always questions as to which one should be bought, the GX 460 or the 5th Gen 4R?? And then a big discussion ensues on the benefits and liabilities of both.
So on that note, if you have time and the inclination and perhaps after a couple months behind the wheel, can you please provide a post citing the abilities and inabilities of both?
Examples:
  • Comfort
    • Seats (front, rear and maybe 3r row)
    • Climate zones
    • Infotainment system
    • Leg room (if that applies)
    • Accessibility and ergonomics of controls (*****, switches)
  • Off-road features
  • Power off the line
  • Power when loaded up or towing
  • MPG
  • Anything else that may standout between the two.
I think this may be appreciated and used by many.
One last thing... ENJOY your new ride!!!!

There is a big quality/comfort difference between the two - The 4runner I had was a base model SR5 and the only mod I did to it was put rock sliders on it. It is featured on their web site
https://www.rocky-road.com/media/5th...-kicker-01.JPG. Great vehicle but a little too truckish for what we wanted and the upper trim levels still aren't as nice as the GX.
We also looked at Land Cruiser and Sequoia, Tahoe, and Denali, Audi Q7 and BMW X5
Land Cruiser and Sequoia - not enough head room - and LC has the stupid 3rd row that takes up a lot of room - was going to wait for the 2 row heritage in 2020 but the front head room would not change. Same with the Sequoia.
Tahoe and Denali - pretty close to the Silverado I had - too big for just the two of us.
Audi and BMW were very nice but the lack of dealers and cost of maintenance took them off my list.
Actually looking at the Lexus was a fluke, we had just came from the Audi dealer and went across the freeway to Lexus to see what they had.
I wanted to stay with a body on frame SUV - call me old school in case I need to tow a trailer.
Did not look at the Subaru Ascent, VW Atlas, Porsche Cayenne or Mercedes SUVs

The GX is by far the nicest vehicle I've ever owned, quiet, powerful and comfortable.
  • The NAV-INFO-CLIMATE takes a bit to get used to but isn't too hard.
  • The 3rd row is stowed and will probably never get used.
  • I hope the 110V outlet can power my cooler (it did in the 4Runner)
  • All the switches and stuff seem pretty intuitive - no issues.
  • MPG seems close to what I got with my Tundra and 4Runner, I can live with it.
  • The swinging back door doesn't bother me at all.
  • Not having Crawl Control is no biggie - I think I only used it a couple times in my FJC and it makes a lot of weird noises
Being 6-4, I need the headroom and legroom and this vehicle still has plenty, the LC and Sequoia were pretty tight.
Being a old guy I probably wont do any mods to it, I've got nothing to prove to anyone and growing up in the Mojave Desert, I can probably still hold my own 4 wheeling (didn't buy it for that anyway)
If I want to go fast I ride my K1600GT on back roads here in WA.

Don't get me wrong, the 4Runer is a pretty capable SUV, my complaints: the seats aren't as comfortable, the interior isn't as quiet and the V-6 is a bit gutless in the hills, but it's also $15-20K less than the GX.
We took it on a 3000 mile road trip last summer across Northern WA, ID to Harlan Montana and back over Beartooth Pass, into Yellowstone and back to WA

Taking the GX back to Glacier NP and the Highway to the Sun in Sept for a long road trip, should be plenty broke in by then.

Gone:

Old 03-17-19, 11:14 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 3,668 Likes on 2,401 Posts

Originally Posted by srpuywa
  • I hope the 110V outlet can power my cooler (it did in the 4Runner)

Did your 4R have the 100/400W button up front? GX outlet is 100W. I didn't feel comfortable running my 54 quart ARB off of it. It draws around 75W when running and startup wattage is undoubtedly over the limit. I ended up putting a portable 400W battery pack that was limited to charging at around 75W.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...t-usefull.html
Old 03-17-19, 11:40 AM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751

Did your 4R have the 100/400W button up front? GX outlet is 100W. I didn't feel comfortable running my 54 quart ARB off of it. It draws around 75W when running and startup wattage is undoubtedly over the limit. I ended up putting a portable 400W battery pack that was limited to charging at around 75W.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...t-usefull.html
I have an Indel B 50L which uses the same compressor as the ARB. I successfully used the 110 output in the back of the GX for a 4 day trip. Didn’t seem to have any issues whatsoever. Just FYI
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (03-17-19)
Old 03-17-19, 11:46 AM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Looking at Indel specs here it shows average input at 50W... my ARB draws more than that for whatever reason.

https://www.equipt1.com/pages/specif...indel-b-fridge

Also had concerns about not using pure SIN wave power.. I guess 12V would be the safest in absence of that though.

I was looking at the ARB manual and it shows 0.7 to 1.4AMP load.... 84-168 Watts

Last edited by Acrad; 03-17-19 at 11:55 AM.
Old 03-17-19, 11:54 AM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Acrad35751
Looking at Indel specs here it shows average input at 50W... my ARB draws more than that for whatever reason.

https://www.equipt1.com/pages/specif...indel-b-fridge
i don’t want to veer off topic too much but my fridge has an eco and low function to draw less I assume. I’m pretty sure your arb has something similar
Old 03-17-19, 02:21 PM
srpuywa
Driver

my 4 runner had that switch - BTW - it's 100 watt driving and 400 watts parked. Ran my dometic frig no problems
Old 03-17-19, 02:59 PM
Acrad
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

It sounds like you will be fine then. If it does overload inverter breaker would trip with a sound.

Old 03-17-19, 04:23 PM
srpuywa
Driver

The way we ran the frig - plug it in the night before in the garage, (hotel room what ever) to get it cold, load it up the next day, start up the car (400 watt) and then drive off (100 watt). Never a problem .
We'll see in the GX
The following users liked this post:
Acrad (03-17-19)